• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frye Boots

tigerx

Reaction score
hi, so i decided to get myself another pair of boots, and i've decide to get these:

http://www.bootbarn.com/itemview/vie...ed/All/All/All

i just got a few questions:

-i've heard that Frye's boots run a bit large so i was wondering what size should i get. i have a pair of Steve madden boots and they are size 9.5, and i usually wear size 10 for sneakers.

-does anyone know if any store in Toronto sells these boots, because i would like to try them on first before i purchase them.

thanks.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
These are a better looking Frye in my opinion and should fit you fine (a 9 might be better) --

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-NEW-MEN-FRYE-B...QQcmdZViewItem

A couple of us SFers have snagged pairs from the same seller for $50-100, and they have been in perfect condition.

I can vouch for both the seller and the boots. The Brando Engineers are by far the best looking Frye boots that I have seen.

I usually wear a 10.5 and I won a pair of 10s, which fit perfectly.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. The general recommendation is to go down a half size from your true shoe size for Frye boots. So if the Steve Maddens fit true to size (which they may or may not), the Fryes in that link could be a little big on you. But if you're unhappy with them, you'll definitely be able to sell them on the Buying & Selling forum here, I think, to recover costs; attractive Fryes in good condition are generally hard to find at significant discount. By the way, I hope that isn't you who placed a bid on the boots already. Sniping is always your best option on eBay
smile.gif

tigerx

Reaction score
naww that wasn't me, i'm probably gonna get a size 9 just to make sure they fit nicely. thanks tho

freelance robotics

Reaction score
Based on the fit of my campus boots, I definitely wouldn't size down (they fit the same as my dress shoe size, 10.5).

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some Frye Brando lace-ups, but I saw these pics in the FS forum:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=frye

The leather looks like a scotch grain. Are these the standard Brandos, or is this a scotch grain version? I don't see any scotch grain Brandos available. Is this just how the regular full grain version looks after they are broken in?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caveat,

With the Brandos, you can't really know in advance exactly how your pair will look, if you order online. There seems to be (purposely, not just a QC issue) a large amount of variation in the leather, between boots and even within the same boot. My Brandos have some sections that are sort of Scotch grain, other sections that are smooth. I'd order from somewhere that allows easy returns, in case you aren't happy.

killingmoon

Reaction score
^ I was nervous about the pebble grain too - first I ordered them from amazon and they were too small, so I returned them and ordered directly from Frye and both pairs (from Amazon of Frye) were smooth leather, not pebble grain.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to sizedown 1 size for my Brando Enginners.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7248362/color/859

This sizing is all over the place. Everything runs large. Some models run 1/2 large, some 1. For brando engineers, it's 1.

I think Boot Barn still has a 20% off coupon when you sign up for their news letter.

ag2008

Reaction score
I own both the pebbled Frye Brandos and Pebbled WH boots

comparing the two, I would pick the Brandos - the quality to price ratio can't be beat.

Plus I prefer the taller shaft.

Make sure you replace the laces with leather as soon as you buy them. Beat them up and in no time they'll look even better than the WH boots. Plus I can easily see them outlasting the WH boots.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ag2008
I own both the pebbled Frye Brandos and Pebbled WH boots

comparing the two, I would pick the Brandos - the quality to price ratio can't be beat.

Plus I prefer the taller shaft.

Make sure you replace the laces with leather as soon as you buy them. Beat them up and in no time they'll look even better than the WH boots. Plus I can easily see them outlasting the WH boots.

Interesting- I just grabbed 2 pair in both black and Cognac (170 for both)- but the insole is already coming out of the pair I have worn 3 times as I have to wrestle out of them so much (peeling up in the front).

The do seem like nice boots. I got one pair in 9.5 and one pair in 10. I can barely tell a difference. With the Brando Engineer Boots I was swimming on the 10s (like when you were 4 and put on your dad's cowboy boots) and could not get into a 9. No 9.5 to try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads