• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frustrating being in between sizes with button down shirts - Need suggestions

damien24

Reaction score
Ok I normally have a really hard time when buying button down shirts because I am in between sizes. I am 5'7'' 150lbs, and when shopping for casual style shirts I am in between size Small and Medium. The length of size Small shirts fit me good usually in the arms and torso, but are too tight usually in the neck, shoulders, chest, and/or waist. So I have been buying my shirts in a Medium, but I really hate how long the shirts fit me in the torso, and especially the sleeves. The sleeves are usually anywhere from 1-2 inches too long and it makes me look like a kid in his daddy's shirt. Now I know I can get shirts tailored, but it just seems like the tailoring will cost just about as much as the shirts do. So its pretty much a lose, lose situation for me.

My question now is for anyone who has a similar problem to me, I wanted to know how you deal with it. If you go to the tailor, how much do u typically pay for your work? Do you feel it is worth it to tailor casual button down shirts?

I had a shirt tailored once in the sleeves, but gauntlet button looked funny after because it was too close to the cuff. Next time I get my shirts tailored I will ask to them move the placket up, but I am scared of the cost if I am getting this done to multiple shirts. There pretty much is no way any shirt in a size Medium will fit me in sleeve length, so if I don't want it to look bulged up at the cuff I would pretty much need to get them all shortened.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about trying a different shop, which offers half-sizes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads