• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frustrated with not so cheap suits!

Nstar

Reaction score
Ok, so first off. I'm a new member and SF is awesome. Unfortunately I can tell already that being on here is going to cause some damage to my wallet.

Anyway, now to my grievance. About 8 weeks ago I stopped by Harry Rosen to buy a couple suits. Needed to refresh my suits as the last time I bought suits was in 2007 (albeit tailored from overseas). So at HR, they were having a MTM sale and I ended up getting 3 Coppley suits with custom lining and surgeon cuffs. Was pretty excited about my purchase and couldn't wait the 4 weeks to get them fitted. Anyway long story short after two fittings I brought them home. Unfortunately I was rushed when I picked them up and didn't notice the pants were shortened a tad too much and the jacket had a fold in the back. All in all not a big deal, I can take them all back and get it fixed. But here's the issue. When trying them on at home I noticed the following:
- jacket 1 of 3 has a thread coming out of the collar and if you feel around it, you can feel wear the thread has been pulled.
- jacket 2 of 3 has a thread coming out of the inside lining, again, if you feel around it, you can feel wear the thread has been pulled.
- jacket 3 of 3's lining looks like it has been ironed on the wrong setting. Kind of like what happens if you iron silk using the linen or cotton setting.

I'm too scared to actually look at the pants in any detail.

So the question is, what am I supposed to do?

I know these faults may seem minor, but I'm paying a lot of money (at least for me) for these suits. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that my suits from overseas which cost 1/5 of these are better made! Are these flaws normal and to be expected? Before finding these faults, I had the vague notion of maybe getting extra pants for each suit... Doubt I will do that unless they throw them in for free.

Anyway, any suggestions what to do would be great!

RedRaider

Reaction score
It's your money and you should be happy with your purchase. I'd bring it up and not be ashamed to do so. The worst they could say is no, that's how they come - and then you let them know that they will never get a reference out of you and you'll be letting others know to steer clear.

Taylorstav

Reaction score
I've had an awful experience at HR tailoring an OTR Paul Smith suit. I'll never buy a suit from HR on Bloor ever again. I ordered a M2M shirt there a month ago at the same time I bought the suit and I know its going to need to be darted and I'm seriously considering having them ship it to HR Sherway to be tailored. My experience there has been much better.

It's sad that the flagship HR has completely disinterested tailors. Ugh...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be clear with what you want when talking to the SAs. I'm sure they cost a good amount of money and you should be happy with them. I sometimes feel like a bastard when trying on clothing at tailored clothing stores because I'm so picky, but I'm not going to spend a lot of money on something that I won't want to wear. Be strong!

Nstar

Reaction score
I guess my issue/question is, can they even fix those 3 things, like is it even possible?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can fix it. But you have to ask yourself, do you really want the suits to be altered at this point? Those types of flaws should have been corrected at the beginning. At this point, you'll only be ruining the suit a little bit more by altering it.

I say ask for a refund or exchange. I know that Harry's will accommodate that if you're really unhappy with the result. They'll try to convince you to have it altered, but be strong!

Also, Copply suits are fused. IMHO Samuelsohn mtm is a better option.

Out of curiosity, who was the sales rep that helped you out? I've gotten some copply mtm from there too.

Nstar

Reaction score
I'd prefer not to say the sales person's name here, but for what it's worth, he's been very good, when I picked up the suits he wasn't there so I had to deal with some random sales person. The truth is, I don't think these faults have anything to so with the sales person, but rather the fabric and/or stitching.

It kind of sucks that if I get a refund the sales person will get his commission clawed back, when this isn't his fault.

If you want the sales person's name, please PM me.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does suck for the salesperson, and it isn't his fault you got a faulty garment. But if you exchange it for something else he'll probably get most of it back anyways.

I made a similar mistake before. I had 2 bespoke shirts done at Harry's and I was very disappointed with the result. They didn't come out as I requested, but I didn't ask for a refund, which I now regret.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads