• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fruit Cake

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Anybody here like fruit cake? I know it's popular to make fun of this holiday gift and treat but i suppose it is due to its extremely rich consistency and taste, and perhaps alot of it known for not being made well.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what brands to look for and which decadent ones are those that give it a good name? photos, pics, links, etc. would be appreciated!

thanks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make it. None of that green cherry shit. Macerate fruit in dark rum overnight and choose good dried fruit. Rub with more rum or cognac every day.

I make a mean fruitcake.

Mr T

Reaction score
There is a world of difference between fruitcake made in the traditional fashion (soaked in alcohol and aged before serving) and the crap most try to pass off during the holidays. That holiday stuff is absolutely horrible.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana Texas. I didn't like fruit cake until I tried theirs. They do mail order.

texas_jack

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana Texas. I didn't like fruit cake until I tried theirs. They do mail order.

^yes, it's the one we all ate growing up and it's the best.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fruit cake sits in your stomach like lead

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer plum pudding. Same sort of spicy dense effect as fruit cake but much more moist.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Make it. None of that green cherry shit. Macerate fruit in dark rum overnight and choose good dried fruit. Rub with more rum or cognac every day.

I make a mean fruitcake.

Plus one. That's what I do every year.

Fruit: raisins, cranberries, apricots, blueberries, cherries. nothing green or fluorescent. Lots of bourbon or cognac sprayed on top.

Damn good stuff.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mom used to make it the traditional way. IIRC, she prepared it prior to Thanksgiving and it was ready by Christmas. It's the only fruitcake I remember enjoying.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

+1. Just sitting here, reflecting on the experience, has me drooling on the keyboard!

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like it very much (I haven't experienced 'good' fruitcake), but sometimes receive some over the holidays. I cut into thin slices, saute them, and top with ice cream. Helps to get it down.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like crappy fruitcake. I have no problem with it.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eagle
+1. Just sitting here, reflecting on the experience, has me drooling on the keyboard!

Just ordered from their website, let's see how it is!

lbcgav

Reaction score
Does panettone qualify as fruit cake? If so, then my answer is hells yes.

emptym

Reaction score
I love fruit cake. Love it fresh, love it a little old. Just warm it up a bit and smear some butter. Good stuff.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 263 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 16.0%
  • 31 - 40