• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front rise vs. back rise on jeans - What's the deal?

starcrash

Reaction score
I've noticed this mostly with Nudies, but it seems like a lot jeans have a much higher rise in the rear compared to the front. I believe my Slim Jims have a front rise of 10" and a back rise of 15". The effect is that the waist swoops down considerably in the front which looks especially weird when tucking in a shirt. I can either force it straight and have saggy butt, or I can pull it up for a slim fit in the back and risk male camel toe in the front. Does any one else have this issue?

I can see why girls' jeans would be cut this way to accentuate a more curvy figure, and a longer back rise is necessary for both sexes to account for the butt. However, considering guys also have extra junk in the front, I don't understand the low rise in the front and high rise in the back.

Can anyone recommend any raw denim jeans that have less of this low-swooping front rise?

DBoon

Reaction score
So are you confused as to why jeans have a higher back rise than front rise? Because you seem to have answered your own question.

You haven't stated so, but do you personally have a problem where you think your jeans' back rise is too high? If not, just let it go

Just look at any "raw denim jeans" maker that does not make repro fits, as repro fits have the back rise ur talking about. Any modern-style cut (Acne, APC, Etc...) will have a smaller back:front rise ratio

starcrash

Reaction score
Yes, I'm confused as to why this is desirable. Yes, this a problem for me "personally".

Maybe I'll try some New Standards which are less severe with 11" front/14" back.

Brutus

Reaction score
My SC's (a repro) are kind of like this but it's not really an issue. Maybe you just need to eat more junk food and get a bigger butt to compensate. That or you can cut ********** off to remove the need for room in the front and then maybe you can achieve your so-called male camel toe.

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
That cut is meant to feign a lower rise in the front for sex appeal, but higher in the back so when you bend over you don't show everyone your MJK bamboo boxers, no matter how nice they are.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't restricted to jeans: all pants are cut like this. That's how humans are built: there is more of us in the back than in the front.

It just seems like you have a flat ass. Try padding or eating more ***** food. I have a flat ass as well, and NS seem to fit fine on me. They have a higher front rise than most Nudies (although there are a lot of different Nudie designs).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H
E
A
V
Y

S
Q
U
A
T
S

starcrash

Reaction score
You guys are funny. I actually don't have a flat ass, and no I'm not posting pics. If you took a survey of male, white asses my name would be right in the middle.

I understand why there is a need for an extra few inches in the back rise, just not 5". I actually need an extra inch or so in the front (if you know what I'm sayin'). I appreciate not having plumber's crack in the back, I'm just not into the moose knuckle in the front. I'm married with a kid so I'm not exactly trying to show off my package these days.

Oliverk19

Reaction score
Worth noting that this design came from workwear and was designed for practicality not vanity
And jeans fundamentally were built as workwear, not to be worn as fashion. R.m Williams vintage moleskins were made this way and all.my gardening trousers have this feature. It's useful as the low rise at the front means when bending or.kneeling the waistband doesn't cut in to you and you don't show your posterior to the world. It's also ideal for riding for the same reason. Anatomically this design feels comfortable and right, the same reason why old school high waisted ftrousers are so comfortable. The old designs were best for active people it's just in modern times we've become sedentary sloths. As for the saggy butt, that wouldn't have been a problem for active people working outdoors they would have had the opposite problem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads