• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front Button on Tuxedo?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
My new 1-button tuxedo has a "link" style button on the front, as shown here:

http://davidreevesbespoke.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dinner-suit-sans-vest.jpg

and here:

http://davidreevesbespoke.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/mg_9091-1.jpg

I need to get some minor alternations done and my tailor said that if I wanted, he could easily make it a "normal" 1-button front, albeit with a higher button stance. I wasn't sure if I should take him up on his offer and told him to hold off with the change until I got back to him.

Does anyone have a tux with this type of front...do you consider it a good/ok look? From the little bit I could find online about the subject, it seems to be a more traditional feature that isn't seen very often these days.

I'm a bit concerned that if I stick with the link front and ever wear my jacket unbuttoned (gasp!) then I'll have a stupid little button dangling around. Am I being ridiculous or will this actually look noticeably sloppy?

Never unbuttoning my tux (as some will suggest) isn't realistic given the types of black-tie events I go to.

Curious if others have thoughts on what I should do or any opinions on the look of a linked button vs. a normal button?

thanks

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) it's perfectly fine (some would actually say better; I'm just agnostic) to unbutton an SB tux; that's why you have a waistcoat (or cummerbund, sash, whatever) underneath it anyway.
2) i have that kind of link button on my SB DJ. It's virtually unnoticeable as such when undone; at least, no-ones ever commented on it and I don't notice it. Don't sweat its presence for that reason. If you just don't like it, by all means switch it out (I don't really see why or how this should alter button stance, but perhaps I'm being dense about that) but don't do it for the suggested reason that it will look sloppy.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am acting a littler paranoid. I'll have my tailor leave the link closure and see how it works out...I can always make the change sometime down the road if it really bugs me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are showing your lack of knowledge here. The "link button" you describe is a normal feature of a decent evening dress. It is intended to allow a little room for expansion after the meal.

Only the most ignorant would dismiss it as "sloppy".

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
All I can say is.. that is one mighty tux! Awesome!

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, its one of mine.

Here is a close up shot of the link button:

huskyzealot

Reaction score

It is intended to allow a little room for expansion after the meal.

Ok, just to make sure I understand...are you saying that I should default to buttoning the coat using the normal outward facing button and only use the link closure after a meal or when I want a looser fit? Is it wrong to use the link button all the time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics