Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

From the logos thread: what do people think about Starbuck's

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Augusto86, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Input: i went to work today and tried some un-adulterated, no sugar, no nothing espresso for the first time in a while. It was a perfect demitasse, nice crema, 1oz., very nice.

Conclusion:
    Yeah, it tastes burnt as hell. I always put sugar in, out of cultural habit(no one drinks coffee black in Brasil).
    So, I stand corrected. The company burns the fuck out of its espresso beans.[​IMG]

Meh. Nobody's perfect.

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

I am guilty of Starbucks patronage, but only because the local shops don't stay up late enough for my studying habits. It's not bad for a default choice because I know exactly what to expect everytime I walk in one. Plus, it's cleaner than some of the local shops. I've recently bought a french press from Starbucks and now want to make some decent coffee. Does anyone have a suggestion? I prefer something dark, like French roast.

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I don't think Starbucks is that bad, but I don't usually order espresso (just the standard coffee for me). It is certainly a darker roast, and I'm not always in the mood for it, but I like it on occasion. For a "regular cup" of good coffee at a chain, I prefer Dunkin Donuts. Ultimately, I'd rather find a good local coffee shop, but they seem to be few and far between in my neighborhood. There's one local guy around here who roasts his own beans, but he's mostly a wholesaler to several local an regional restaurants. He does open to the public for direct sales every Saturday for limited hours, but he doesn't offer on-site consumption.

What's the opinion on Seattle's Best coffee? I've seen them from time to time, but they have no local presence for me. I ask because one of our local grocery stores has started carrying the brand, and I thought about trying it.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What's the opinion on Seattle's Best coffee? I've seen them from time to time, but they have no local presence for me.
    Their wi-fi is free.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Meh. Nobody's perfect.

Ahem. [​IMG]

Jon.

6. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Ahem. [​IMG]

Jon.

It's just that damn ARGENTINA thing that's keeping you away from 100%...

[​IMG]
    SEMPRE BRASIL!

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

What's the opinion on Seattle's Best coffee? I've seen them from time to time, but they have no local presence for me. I ask because one of our local grocery stores has started carrying the brand, and I thought about trying it.
    Seattle's Best is not only NOT SEATTLE'S BEST COFFEE, it's actually owned by Starbucks. [​IMG]

8. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I don't object that much to the quality of Starbucks coffee. I will drink it if no good independent can be found.

I hate the way they push out independent places, though, and that makes me avoid them whenever possible.

Remember Torrefazione? They were awesome. Awesome!

Is there still a Torrefazione in Pioneer Square?

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I don't object that much to the quality of Starbucks coffee. I will drink it if no good independent can be found.

I hate the way they push out independent places, though, and that makes me avoid them whenever possible.

Remember Torrefazione? They were awesome. Awesome!

Is there still a Torrefazione in Pioneer Square?

Hell if I know, I avoid Pioneer Square like the plague. Pro football players get beat over the head with metal road signs and go into comas in Pioneer Square.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hell if I know, I avoid Pioneer Square like the plague. Pro football players get beat over the head with metal road signs and go into comas in Pioneer Square.

Except when Chuck Norris is there.

(what have I become?)

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Except when Chuck Norris is there.

(what have I become?)

Maybe Chuck Norris did it. I'll ask Ken Hamlin next time I see him if he was beaten over the head by a street sign or by a spinning roundhouse kick.

I hope he doesn't have issues when he comes back, the Seahawks need him.

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

Segafredo is on a completely different plane of quality above Starbucks, but it seems clear that they don't have a presence in the US market. They are probably too continental for American tastes.

there's a Segafredo in union square in san francisco, at least there was a few years ago when i worked in the neighborhood. (i assume it's the same segafredo...?) i used to pick up a ham & egg croissant there in the morning. never tasted their coffee.

/andrew

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

No kidding, didn't realize they had a presence in the States. Segafreddo is as ubiquitous in Germany as Starbucks is in the US; IME the coffee is no better.

Tom

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Starbucks makes a consistently atrocious au lait. (Some of the stores call it a "misto," which is good, 'cause it doesn't deserve to be called "au lait".)

15. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Seattle's Best is not only NOT SEATTLE'S BEST COFFEE, it's actually owned by Starbucks. [​IMG]

Well, then, that's faulty advertising right there. Didn't know about the Starbuck's connection. Seems odd, as this is like Starbucks saying, "we don't really have the best coffee, but you can find the best coffee at our other store."