• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

From the "It's a Small World" Department

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At work this morning a colleague and I are making small talk about spectator shoes and silk ties and she says, "You know, I really should tell you about my tailor in Hong Kong."

"My tailor's in Hong Kong," I reply. "Who?" she asks. "W.W. Chan," I say.

"That's mine, too," she says.

A small world, indeed.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you to proceed to high-five?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how big their female customer base is. In their Hong Kong shop, there were no women placing orders and I generally see about twice as many men as women during their trips to the US. I would think the value proposition that Chan offers women is different. A Chan women's suit costs about the same as their men's suits which puts it well above the average cost of a women's designer suits which is generally what they want.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Reaction score
Probably mostly women who are hard to fit?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
You don't hear a whole lot about women's tailoring, for sure.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I wonder how big their female customer base is. In their Hong Kong shop, there were no women placing orders and I generally see about twice as many men as women during their trips to the US. I would think the value proposition that Chan offers women is different. A Chan women's suit costs about the same as their men's suits which puts it well above the average cost of a women's designer suits which is generally what they want.
Aren't high-end women's suits equal in price or more expensive than high-end men's suits? I'm talking about the $6,000 Chanel suits, etc. But women who purchase designer suits aren't looking for quality or construction, they want the name, the cut, and the materials that perhaps Chan wouldn't be able to do.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife used to get MTM shirts with me from Maxwell's (the HK tailor) and so did my sister. They make them with darts for women and it's a nice look with contrasting collar and FC. In general though, women's styles change far too frequently to invest in custom-tailored clothing.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I thought the phrase was "choked the chicken"?

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think that's the activity he was describing . . .

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
crazy. that's cool

reminds me of when I was talking with a mod geezer who gets his shirts custom made and he said it was some small racket from Hong Kong. So I mention I used Jantzen, also in HK, and he says "yea that's the one I use too"

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
**I don't think that's the activity he was describing . .**

My bad. Still, when you consider the almost familial relationship between self absorption and self abuse, my confusion is partially understandable.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kiton has Kiton Donna.

It was Yves Saint Laurent with his '60s le Smokin, who made it acceptable, and popular for a woman to wear pant suits.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.