• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From the “what where they thinking?” file:

jmswentworth

Reaction score
Brown : Farmer :: These shirts : Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Not, Brown : Farmer but, brown = for farmer. You need to have the ernest grammatical touch.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last Etro catalog we received has a few pants that look similar to the image you posted.  Did you get it?  The models slide down onto the runway.  Some look a little scared.
The lastest 'creations' of Kean as evidenced in the new collection have their inspiration from the tribes of new Guinea, and to some extent, the Native Americans. So, it is not as "stripy" as usual.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Etro is on it's way out. It looks really good on older guys, 50+; particularly if they have grey hair. It looks a bit done on younger dudes, however I still wear my shirts.

This season they are offering a GREAT peaked lapel, SB suit in prince of whales check linen, and a nice plain tan linen suit.
Mike, what do you mean by Etro being on the way out? Most of the people here in Europe who wear Etro are not 50+, and in my opinion, it would look totally ridiculous on an older 'dude'. Maybe this is strictly an American phenomenon?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
84 of the catalog, shows a middle-aged man, "plump", wearing a prototype suit, brown with vertical orange (or red?) and yellow stripes, cool red and black pointed toe shoes. I can't make up my mind if it works or not. He also wears a big happy smile.

Overall, I also very much like Etro, although some items are a little too out there for me. I appreciate those simply as art. However, I did observe many things I would like to see my husband try on. The women's fashion seems a lot less daring.

As for the patchwork pants, even though I was joking, they look in the same branch as items 99, 05, 22...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what dog did they decide is the most Trad?

I didn't read the thread very closely, but I think someone put forth the idea that the Golden Retriever was the most American Trad, since they are so popular (perhaps this person was kidding, but since AA had a serious thread about American Trad glasses, I wasn't sure). I believe the next poster said something to the effect that Golden Retrievers are probably really popular because they're extremely good natured dogs. The thread pretty much died after that, I think.

It made me want to add a post to the thread saying that I thought the most American Trad dog was the German Shepard or the Irish Setter (English Bulldog?), just to see whether I'd get any sort of reaction...

Best regards,

Jeff

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
84 of the catalog, shows a middle-aged man, "plump", wearing a prototype suit, brown with vertical orange (or red?) and yellow stripes, cool red and black pointed toe shoes.  I can't make up my mind if it works or not.  He also wears a big happy smile.
I think it was the same guy in the last (fall/winter) catalogue...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stores in my town which carry Etro have a total of 1 suit. And it's the most conservative pattern of the season. So that's not worth it unless I was a slave to the label type.

Give me a well-made white shirt any day. Give me six of them---Kabbazz?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ Mar. 25 2005,15:43) Speaking of Etro, I think Emilio Pucci shirts are another option. Although fewer people would wear them it seems.
I wonder what the men's shirts look like, the official website only show the women's clothing. Jon.
The shirts are in the classic Etro pattern but cut in a traditional style.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Mar. 25 2005,12:46)
Originally Posted by LabelKing,Mar. 25 2005,15:43
Speaking of Etro, I think Emilio Pucci shirts are another option. Although fewer people would wear them it seems.
I wonder what the men's shirts look like, the official website only show the women's clothing. Jon.
The shirts are in the classic Etro pattern but cut in a traditional style.
Do you have a picture? Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads