1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

From the “what where they thinking?” file:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Mar 24, 2005.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'm with JN3, I've always dug madras. Then again, I have a pair of anchor-embroidered shorts. I understand the "fun shirt" but would not wear one.

Fun shirts : sunburnt, middle aged men trying to reconcile Jimmy Buffett with JFK

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I thought they removed analogies form the new SAT's ? [​IMG] Jon.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

psycho clown

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Although it's really not my thing, I could sort of see the last Polo (Madras) shirt working, and some of the Etro shirts, if worn differently, and perhaps by different people. The Brooks Brothers shirts are pretty much uniformly ugly, although again, some people are cool and good looking enough (different from just being pretty) to much pull off *anything*. I am not one of those people.

If I'm not mistaken, those images (of the Etro shirt are from the Neiman Marcus website, and people who get their casualwear from NM are generally not the type of people who can pull off the Etro look (what's with tucking the shirt into arather high rise, lame looking pair of jeans, btw.)

Have you seen Kean Etro put some of his stuff together? I could see one of those shirts worn with a slightly baggy pair of brown tweed trousers (untucked) under a slouchy cardigan in blue with gold and brown in it. A little eccentric, but also could be very cool. It would help if the guy looked a little less like he was about to star in a soft core version of "Saving Ryan's Privates" and looked a little more like Kean too - a little dirtier, not so schoolboy clean shaven pretty. And to really pull off the Italian version of preppy, you have to really let your freak flag fly. Think Dre 3000 from OutKast. i.e. this is not for your stereotypical uptight new England WASP.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I love the term of "fun shirt."

It has the concept of supposed exuberance but is yet so prim.

This type of clothing item is truly for the "American Trad."

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Serious. Etro shirts are not clubber American jackass shirts. Theyre much more dandified, and frankly much more put-together than the way they're being sold. I really dig Etro, despite having 0 items from them. I really like the style theyre always pushing. Insanely bold patterns with bright stripes, yet always well-coordinated and excessive in all the best ways.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Etro is on it's way out. It looks really good on older guys, 50+; particularly if they have grey hair. It looks a bit done on younger dudes, however I still wear my shirts.

This season they are offering a GREAT peaked lapel, SB suit in prince of whales check linen, and a nice plain tan linen suit.

8. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I guess Etro is on the way out, seeing as everyone up to and including Lands' End is doing multi-stripes, but I can't see myself giving up on those kind of shirts. The average-looking dull ones will fade away from the mainstream makers, sure, but there are some patterns that are just so out there that they're always cool. Whether 70s vintage or Etro, I'd still buy 'em if I saw 'em, now or ten years from now.

9. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I like simple striped shirts (I'll probably be ordering a T&A ripoff from Jantzen this week), but the crazy rainbow Etro patterns have gotten old. To be fair, it's mainly due to the barrages of HS/college guys snapping up the overdone ripoffs from Guess/Banana/etc because Maxim told them to, but unfortunately it colors everything else. I'll stick with basic stripe patterns and come back to the more interesting stuff once the fad dies down.

I agree with Mike as far as Etro's tailored clothing goes. They stick more with the classics, but the details give them just enough edge to set them apart. I wish it were easier to find in stores.

10. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

So, what dog did they decide is the most Trad?

11. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    Not, Brown : Farmer but, brown = for farmer. You need to have the ernest grammatical touch.

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

The lastest 'creations' of Kean as evidenced in the new collection have their inspiration from the tribes of new Guinea, and to some extent, the Native Americans. So, it is not as "stripy" as usual.

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Mike, what do you mean by Etro being on the way out? Most of the people here in Europe who wear Etro are not 50+, and in my opinion, it would look totally ridiculous on an older 'dude'. Maybe this is strictly an American phenomenon?

14. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

84 of the catalog, shows a middle-aged man, "plump", wearing a prototype suit, brown with vertical orange (or red?) and yellow stripes, cool red and black pointed toe shoes. I can't make up my mind if it works or not. He also wears a big happy smile.

Overall, I also very much like Etro, although some items are a little too out there for me. I appreciate those simply as art. However, I did observe many things I would like to see my husband try on. The women's fashion seems a lot less daring.

As for the patchwork pants, even though I was joking, they look in the same branch as items 99, 05, 22...

15. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I didn't read the thread very closely, but I think someone put forth the idea that the Golden Retriever was the most American Trad, since they are so popular (perhaps this person was kidding, but since AA had a serious thread about American Trad glasses, I wasn't sure). I believe the next poster said something to the effect that Golden Retrievers are probably really popular because they're extremely good natured dogs. The thread pretty much died after that, I think.

It made me want to add a post to the thread saying that I thought the most American Trad dog was the German Shepard or the Irish Setter (English Bulldog?), just to see whether I'd get any sort of reaction...

Best regards,

Jeff

16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I think it was the same guy in the last (fall/winter) catalogue...

17. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The stores in my town which carry Etro have a total of 1 suit. And it's the most conservative pattern of the season. So that's not worth it unless I was a slave to the label type.

Give me a well-made white shirt any day. Give me six of them---Kabbazz?

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Speaking of Etro, I think Emilio Pucci shirts are another option.

Although fewer people would wear them it seems.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I wonder what the men's shirts look like, the official website only show the women's clothing.

Jon.

20. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

I am with you on that, as a matter a fact, I think I own at least 2 styles similar from Polo.