1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

From the “what where they thinking?” file:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Mar 24, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

There are no words (plus, the header says it all): [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Jon.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually those shirts are based on the old Brooks "fun shirt" concept of melding different colors/patterns in one shirt. Flusser writes regretfully about how Brooks didn't exploit that and how companies like Polo or Faconnable and gotten lots of mileage out of it.

3. Doctor Crane

Doctor Crane Well-Known Member

What? I rather like a few of those.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Thanks for the link. Here are the matching shorts: [​IMG] [​IMG] And pants: [​IMG] Jon.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Could pass as Etro...

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I like the madras shorts a lot (I could see heading to the beach or the park, or sipping iced coffee at an outdoor cafe in the middle of summer wearing those and a navy blue untucked polo shirt and leather thongs). I also don't mind the madras shirt so much -- roll up the sleeves, wear with stone tissue chino shorts, and leather thongs and it's it'd be nice during warm summer evenings hanging out with friends.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You mean like this? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Jon.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

And don't forget the matching hat: [​IMG] [​IMG] Jon.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

The last Etro catalog we received has a few pants that look similar to the image you posted. Did you get it? The models slide down onto the runway. Some look a little scared.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

I like those Etro hats, but I wouldn't buy one solely because I can't stand the huge "ETRO" lettering on the side.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The pants are from Brooks Brothers.

Jon.

13. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

Gaaa............NO .

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Without the huge Etro lettering I don't think they could charge $95-a-piece for the hats.

Jon.

15. Sammyman

Sammyman Member

Some of those would look great in a Benneton Golf.

16. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Not to risk heading off into Ask Andy "American Trad" territory (where I think there was recently a short lived thread regarding what kind of dog would be considered American Trad), and not that I would personally wear any of these articles (not my style), but it appears Brooks Brothers and Polo are attempting to capture what I would term "the New England preppy casual look." Picture an outdoor dinner party on Nantucket or the Cape during the summer at any number of private clubs that I imagine exist there (can you taste the Tanqueray?), and I think you get where Brooks and Polo are trying to go. Sure, you street wear afficianados may have your PDC's, vintage tee shirts, and hoodies, but could any of the same match the Je ne sais quoi of patch madras pants and multicolored striped shirts such as these? I think not...

Interestingly, from reviewing the most recent J Crew catalogue, they seem to be offering the same types of clothes this spring (shorts in "Nantucket red" or kelly green with navy whales imprinted on them), but not to this extreme. I guess New England prep is in right now.

Regards,

Jeff

17. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those etro shirts are simply horrendous looking. Ack, it makes my eyes hurt.

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

The Brooks Brothers fun shirts and shorts, mixing different colored stripes and different stlye plaid (and the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew versions) were all the rage when I was in college in the late 80's.

Wear one of those shirts with a pair of khakis and your LL Bean camp or blucher mocs and you were styling.

Bradford

19. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I think the key is to pair the shirts with the pants (no matching, of course) and then wear the hat to finish the "look." Perfect for the summer lawn party [​IMG]

20. j

j Senior member Admin

Brown : Farmer :: These shirts :