• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

From Giorgio Armani

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
From Giorgio Armani, when asked what he sees in the year ahead:

"It is difficult for me to talk about what other designers will do, but in terms of look, I suspect we will see a return to more elegant, classic dressing. This will be because people will want to purchase clothes that have a longer life span and are therefore a better investment. I have always preferred this design aesthetic, so there will be no great change in my approach. Clothes and accessories should, to my way of thinking, be more about style than fashion, and have a sophisticated, timeless quality, rather than be slaves to transient trends."
 

jta1188

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Sounds like he hit the nail on the head to me.
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
Originally Posted by mkarim
From Giorgio Armani, when asked what he sees in the year ahead:

"It is difficult for me to talk about what other designers will do, but in terms of look, I suspect we will see a return to more elegant, classic dressing. This will be because people will want to purchase clothes that have a longer life span and are therefore a better investment. I have always preferred this design aesthetic, so there will be no great change in my approach. Clothes and accessories should, to my way of thinking, be more about style than fashion, and have a sophisticated, timeless quality, rather than be slaves to transient trends."


He says that, and then he or his team designs and parades these fashion forward crap that have 3 year life spans, at best.
 

lizmasc

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
The thing here is that this isn't a one man show, but a company interested in growing and profiting. The prophet says one thing but his disciples do another
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
With some notable exceptions, Armani is one of the least "fashion forward" designers out there. He tends to make garments that are VERY similar, season to season, from the late 70's to now. He's considered one of the "safest" designers there is...

Armani typically ISN'T discussed all that much in most "high fashion" circles... he's a major player (the major-est, probably) given his sales, but in terms of being ahead of the curve... not since 1981.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
well from what i've seen, his suits and jackets from last year have a slimmer silhouette and less padding than the typical armanis he is more known for.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by acidicboy
well from what i've seen, his suits and jackets from last year have a slimmer silhouette and less padding than the typical armanis he is more known for.

This is true.
 

Tardek

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
1
I have a very classic two-button Giorgio Armani suit. But I am trying to escape his clutches and branch out, how dare he appeal to my classic sensibilities with such a speech!
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
I wish he did more than spread collars anymore.

Oh wait, no I don't. His fabrics suck for the shirt prices.
 

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
17,830
Reaction score
1,314
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
This is true.

Yes, but this is not a reflection of that slim fit trend with pants that show the top of your boots and jackets so short its hopeless trying to hide a 9mm in it.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by idfnl
Yes, but this is not a reflection of that slim fit trend with pants that show the top of your boots and jackets so short its hopeless trying to hide a 9mm in it.

No, his stuff became slimmer, but classic at the same time. The one suit I have from the season has a very classic waist and a standard rise as well. Not 'trendy' in the least.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by why
I wish he did more than spread collars anymore.

Oh wait, no I don't. His fabrics suck for the shirt prices.


Terrible, terrible fabrics in his sportswear stuff. And 300 for a made in China or Portugal shirt is laughable.
 

Eccentric

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
610
Reaction score
3
Say what you will about his products, Armani usually gives rather sage advice.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,054
Messages
9,228,372
Members
193,707
Latest member
mdrndsnlvr
Top