• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From eHABERDASHER - a half canvassed suit in $325 - $350 range. Thoughts?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm toying with the idea of offering a great quality half canvassed suit (Benjamin label - NOT Sartorial line) in the $325 - $350 range (probably closer to $350). Any demand out there? What do you guys think? I'm wondering how many guys are priced out when suits are at $500 plus. Obviously the vast majority of the world is, and while Styleforum probably attracts a higher income demographic, I'm wondering if the demand is still pretty big and how we can meet that need. Or are you all happy with Macy's and Jos. A Banks et tal?

I appreciate your thoughts...

ylkim30

Reaction score
It would be a good idea. I think there would be a huge market for them, especially for people buying suits for the first time or starting jobs that require them to wear suits everyday.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
If you can do for half canvas what you did for full canvas with your Sartoriale line then you will have a winner. i.e. great quality for the price.

There is a more budget concious demographic out there for sure and your attention to styling and smaller details would be a better alternative to JAB or the like. Plus you would be $100+ cheaper than SS.

Oh let the battle begin!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys... all seems to make sense especially in this market/economy. I've still never visited SuitSupply... will have to do that soon just to check out the "competition". Heck I haven't been inside a Brooks Brothers or JAB in almost a decade! Probably would be a good idea to see what kind of stuff (junk/crap as I seem to hear/read about according to you guys) is out there and see if we can one up them all...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suggestion to check out SuitSupply is a good one. They seem to be the standard low-price suggestion around here these days (though they are over $400), and I do have to say, I've been impressed with what I've seen.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
It would be great! I'll be loosing at a new navy or mid-grey suit in the near future and SuitSupply was probably going to be my first stop. Having more options at that price (or better!) would be great.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suggestion to check out SuitSupply is a good one. They seem to be the standard low-price suggestion around here these days (though they are over $400), and I do have to say, I've been impressed with what I've seen.
Indeed, a good way to start this is by going to every store that you consider to be competition, and taking notes about what you like and don't like about their products. Maybe try on a couple of suits, feel the material, look at their prices, etc. Whatever you think are good criteria. Once you've done this you'll have a feel of the competition, and should be able make a list of the best practices based on your notes. Also try to think about how you can improve on all the points you wrote down that you didn't like, and you should be able to find out how to offer a better (or in a different niche) product than your competitors.

This would be a very basic market analysis, which will give you valuable insights that will help you to create a successful new line. Asking your potential customers what their thoughts are is also a very good idea, which you've done by making this thread! What you could also do is make a very small survey on google, where you will pose a couple of questions that you'd like answered after doing the aforementioned market analysis. You could put this survey on SF, on your website, mailing-list (if you have that), or any other social media platform. This will very easily give you a relatively large sample, and will help you find out more precisely what your potential clients' wishes are.

This is all very basic, and it will take you a couple of hours, but it might help you make an informed decision! You might know all this already, but I hope this helps!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not happy with Jos A Bank, Macy's et al, but there are plenty of other options for someone who wants to spend sub-$400 for a half-canvassed suit. I'm not familiar with your offerings or pricing structure/strategy, but I'd expect to see a half-canvassed option. That seems pretty standard at the places that I keep up with, and a person who's going out of his way to order online is probably willing to pay $300 or so. If he wasn't, he'd just go to Macy's.

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. I love your website.. but I have never been able to purchase anything because I never find anything in my size. Never have that problem with SS...and Im not a fat guy that struggles with weight problems.. more tall with broad shoulders.. so if you can make half canvassed staple product with the trimmings (Softer shoulder, lower button stance and a higher armhole) that I can fit it.. Ill be a loyal buyer forever, lol

yls2012

Reaction score
I think it's a bad idea. First, the folks who buy from you are enthusiasts who care about full canvasing. Casual buyers are probably a small fraction of your clientele. Second, with the full canvas suits just 150 bucks more, most would just spring for the slightly more expensive model. I also think it improves your credibility to only offer fully canvased suits.

Semi Fly

Reaction score
I think it's a bad idea. First, the folks who buy from you are enthusiasts who care about full canvasing. Casual buyers are probably a small fraction of your clientele. Second, with the full canvas suits just 150 bucks more, most would just spring for the slightly more expensive model. I also think it improves your credibility to only offer fully canvased suits.
I strongly agree with this statement. I own one of your suits and I did extensive research before making my decision. Even after reading up on fused vs. canvassing and comparing a few brands in person, it took a leap of faith for me to take a chance with your line sight unseen. Targeting casual buyers marginalizes the value that your product offers (price/value/quality) to those who are less informed, doesn't wear a suit often, doesn't want to take a risk or wait on shipping, or just don't care. I also agree with the statement regarding sizing availability. I really enjoy your Classico line and personally feel (without much information) that you have a ton of room for growth there.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is market segmentation. The folks who buy $300 suits are usually different than those who buy $500 suits, at least if the threads that pop up around here all the time are any guide. Why not sell to both if you can?

I don't think he's trying to create a hyper-exclusive luxury brand that is going to be diluted by selling a half-fused product.

You said it yourself, you took a leap of faith. It's much easier to take that leap when it's $300 vs $500.

Also, I don't think he's targeting the B&M Macy's shoppers. He's targeting the people who come to this site and ask "What suit should I get for $300?"

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit torn about this; would you still be using premium fabrics (i.e. LP, H&S, etc...)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads