• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From 501 STF's to 511 Rigids?

mikejungle

Reaction score
Hi, I've been wearing 501 STF's for a while now, but always found em too baggy. I like H&M's slim cut trousers, but sometimes they feel a bit too non-everyday wearage. So I was wondering, will I like 511's? I considered the 514's, but the leg opening looks a bit wide from the pictures. I'm eying some at urban outfitters. I plan on going to the store to try em on, but I'm not sure what size to buy...how much do they shrink? I'm used to buying 501's true to size in the waist and a bit long in the inseam because i like the stacking, but I have a feeling that if I do that with 511's, I may find them too small after shrinkage. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...edProductSize= I'm 6', have muscular thighs, but nothing beyond "average"...whatever that is. Just want to make the point that I'm not super skinny. I want them to be comfortable, but fit nicely. Thanks

pikaaarrr

Reaction score
i can't answer your question, but i was looking at some 501 STFs. how much do they really shrink/how skinny are they? i'm pretty skinny, so i'm not sure if the 511/514 would work better

mikejungle

Reaction score
yeah, if you're skinny, unless you like baggy jeans, you're probably better off going for the 511's. As i said, I'm not skinny (not that bulky either) and the 501's feel a bit baggy to me.

I don't want nutcrackers though, so I may end up getting the 514s or try sizing up on the 511s. I really dislike that the 514s don't taper, but maybe I won't notice it.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont really like 514's, super low rise (lower than the 511 i've found) with legs nearly as big as 501's.

511's are my favorite levi's cut, just size up if you dont want them to look skinny.

mikejungle

Reaction score
Hey max, do you mind telling me your physique and what size you wear?

Have you bought the 511's in rigid? How much do they shrink?

trafficjam

Reaction score
511s sized up one or two depending on your thighs. I think 514s look awful.

Snaggles

Reaction score
My 30 waist 511's are almost the same in the thigh as my 30 waist STFs. If you have ever done a squat or played a game of soccer in your life, size up 511's at least 1 inch. Or go to the mall and try them on? They have them at Macy's and plenty of other places.

G0079

Reaction score
I bought 511s both in my size, and sized up. The sized up pair gets way more use. (I also bought 514s, and barely ever wear them)

mikejungle

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to urban or something to try em on

Problem is...I just don't know how much the Rigid 511's shrink. Like I said, I buy 501 STF's true to waist size. I'm not sure how much to size up with 511's. I guess I'll just follow the instructions on the tag?

joei

Reaction score
go for the 511s . +1 for sizing up. I have big legs so I size up and get the waist tapered

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
I have a pair of 511s from when I was a little heavier... they are size 36x32 and just too big, so I ordered the same jeans in 33x32. I hope the thighs won't be too tight, cause the waist is seriously about 4-5" too big on me now, wish me luck I also have the black stretch 511s and while those are big in the waist, they're not as big as the regular 511s, and they're perfect through the thighs and below They seriously need to make 511 STFs. Maybe w/a fit between 511 & 514 (512!!!!)

G0079

Reaction score
What would a tapered leg jean look like after shrinking, though? Would you get crazy warping going on since the front is cut shorter than the back?

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
What would a tapered leg jean look like after shrinking, though? Would you get crazy warping going on since the front is cut shorter than the back?

They shrink? I still have some 511s from 2005 or something but they still measure to the tag size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads