• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends

JTerry

Reaction score
You know, now that I think about it I really do not have a best friend. Someone to go hunting and fishing with. I am not a behind and really enjoy life. Most of the people I associate with are my marching band parents. I consider them friends, but not someone who calls me up just to talk about things.
Now that I turned 50, I'm starting to feel a little melancholy about this.
Am I an odd ball?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, now that I think about it I really do not have a best friend. Someone to go hunting and fishing with. I am not a behind and really enjoy life. Most of the people I associate with are my marching band parents. I consider them friends, but not someone who calls me up just to talk about things.
Now that I turned 50, I'm starting to feel a little melancholy about this.
Am I an odd ball?
Its good to have friends. I dont have any sense left my home town. I am not very friendly so I likely wont make any.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marching band parents? Dear god, I thought my life was bankrupt.

seattlefromson

Reaction score
I would love to have friends again...

I had friends in college.

When I moved to pursue my Master's degrees (in Utah), I assumed I would be a hermit, just like I am now, but then I was having lunch and these very fine gentlemen approached me: "Can we sit with you?" "Yes, please go ahead," I answered. It felt very spontaneous, not forced. This was good because I hate forced interactions. The majority of them were Mormons. We had very interesting, fun conversations. I was reluctant to tell them I was a gay man at first because I enjoyed their company; however, I eventually disclosed my orientation and, to much of my surprise, they didn't care.

We continued meeting daily for lunch and dinner; sometimes we'd meet to practice our Spanish and Portuguese and I enjoyed their presence a great deal. I still exchange e-mails with some of them sporadically.

But then I moved to Vancouver, Canada, and Vancouver just felt like a toxic city. Vancouverittes were (are) epically annoyed because of the real estate situation in the city: a modest appartment there in a traditionally blue collar neighborhood costs millions. I am not Asian myself, but there was so much prejudice against Asians. That, and I was living there as an immigrant, and people assumed, I guess, that I was there to make the city's problems worse. So it was just an awful experience.

And then I moved to Seattle to be near family --love my family--, but as far as friendships go, nope, none.

I tried. But all of the friendships I made felt like forced ones, not spontaneous, not natural. They didn't last. I don't seem to blend with Seattleites.

I do understand that I am a difficult type, depending on the perception of many people.

I wake up early, I tend to go to bed early, I don't drink, I don't go to bars. Most people here freak me out a little: they get drunk on Friday nights --like completely drunk-- and starting shouting non-sense at midnight. Not that I am judging. I just don't see myself as part of the local scene.

Full disclosure: I come from a broken home, parents' marriage was very dysfunctional, my dad got super drunk on weekends to escape his reality... and it was not nice. Do I have problems beyond OCD? Yeah, my childhood didn't feel nice.

Technically, I am not allowed to drink because of my OCD meds, but the truth is that I made the decision to not consume any alcohol as a child before I was even diagnosed with OCD.

I am also very goal-oriented. I didn't have anything handed to me. I fought for what I was able to achieve. Some say I am self-centered... and I assume I will be self-centered, if being self-ecentered means getting things done.

With all of those things being said, I guess... I guess it would be nice to have friends like my Mormon friends, we got along so well, and it'd be nice to feel understood or simply to have someone to talk about things I like: "No, dude, you can't wear this sport jacket; it doesn't go with your skin tone." "Yes, let's talk careers and jobs and investments." "Yo, let's go thrift shopping together." All of those things would be very nice.

But, for now, I enjoy my solitude, I enjoy silence, I have my hobbies, and, more importantly, I am happy with life as it is.

If I get to have friends like my Mormon friends again, great;
if not, I don't know, I just hope I will not regret when I am 40 or 50.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friends are overrated. Start with a dog. Dogs are nice.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just beginning to tolerate you.

seattlefromson

Reaction score
I was just beginning to tolerate you.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We had very interesting, fun conversations. I was reluctant to tell them I was a gay man at first because I enjoyed their company...

But, for now, I enjoy my solitude, I enjoy silence, I have my hobbies, and, more importantly, I am happy with life as it is.

Something here doesn't quite match up.

Oh, I am not single. I have been happily married for 10 years.

seattlefromson

Reaction score
Something here doesn't quite match up.

Yeah, I have been happily married for 10 years now. I love my family. I just don't have friends outside of my family circle.

My spouse is my best friend... but I can't demand him to give me his full attention 24/7. No relationship could endure that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been happily married for 10 years now. I love my family. I just don't have friends outside of my family circle.

My spouse is my best friend... but I can't demand him to give me his full attention 24/7. No relationship could endure that.

Living with someone is the opposite of solitude.

Where did you get married?

seattlefromson

Reaction score
I don't agree with your opinion that living with someone is the opposite of solitude.

My spouse works a full time job, he absolutely doesn't require me to have a job.

"Look, you don't have to get a job," he says. Plus, nobody understands me as well as he does. I consider myself the luckiest of men because I don't think I would have married anyone else other than my spouse. He gets me.

From my experience, two people in a relationship need their own space. For example, my spouse loves camping, whereas I don't. If he wants to go camping, then yeah, I will pack his things and say go, just come back safe. Similarly, my spouse cannot tolerate clothes or suits (it is so difficult to get him to wear a suit), so it would be unfair of me to ask him to spend 4 hours with me carefully examining fabrics and the quality of clothes either at a thrift store or at Saks OFF 5th. So we love each other, but we also give each other space.

He works very hard, a tough 8-5 job, and if it were up to him, I wouldn't have to work.

But I want to work. I expect to be working as a teacher full time next year.

I want to be strong for him.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a tough job that is merely 8-5.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Why do you ask?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads