• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends Who Hate Getting Dressed Up

MrBon

Reaction score
Anyone have friends who hate wearing a suit or sport jacket, who constantly wear shorts or sweat pants, and who think that getting dress up is wearing jeans. I'm not talking 20-30 year olds, i'm talking about 50 and older.

I have friends who rather get a root cannel than get dress to go out.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
It's good to have a few circles of friends & acquiantances serving different needs. I had one friend I gave a once-worn pair of Bally shoes to. I only did this because he drooled over them when visiting me. Within 3 months of giving him the shoes, he confessed to me that he gave them to someone else's teenage son. He had no respect for the gift or the worth of it, and I got rid of him.
Of all my school friends, I have cut ties with all of them because they live in the past, and new friends await.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrBon
Anyone have friends who hate wearing a suit or sport jacket, who constantly wear shorts or sweat pants, and who think that getting dress up is wearing jeans. I'm not talking 20-30 year olds, i'm talking about 50 and older.

WTF do you care what your 50 year old friend does/dresses anyway. He obvious did OK for himself so far. people cannot be changed at that age. Give up or quit being his friend.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friends are only friends if there is a mutual respect and tolerance between the parties involved...

If my sartorial tastes are an issue for him (and vice-versa), he is not really a friend...
We can have a bit of banter about it but the issue cannot affect our relationships to the point of being dammaged....

Be yourself ,wear what you want and also accept other people's sartorial views...

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
It's good to have a few circles of friends & acquiantances serving different needs. I had one friend I gave a once-worn pair of Bally shoes to. I only did this because he drooled over them when visiting me. Within 3 months of giving him the shoes, he confessed to me that he gave them to someone else's teenage son. He had no respect for the gift or the worth of it, and I got rid of him.
Of all my school friends, I have cut ties with all of them because they live in the past, and new friends await.

You sound like a douchebag. All my friends dress like they're 12, I don't really give a ****. In fact I look better by comparison i guess. Was a good topic in SW about this.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow, glad I'm not your friend. I have friends who don't respect gifts - so I don't give them gifts. Doesn't mean that they're not a good friend.

Feelings mutual.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
You sound like a douchebag.

All my friends dress like they're 12,...

That's probably because your friends really are 12.
fight[1].gif

MrBon

Reaction score
Most of you are missing the point, its not about being friends, that's not the point, my friend have been my friends over 30 years, but when it comes to going out, they just fringe about wearing wool dress pants or a sport jacket, they'll wear one, but in protest... lol

I think when you go to dinner/lounge, you should wear BIG BOY clothes, and leave the hang out clothes home.

I always dress like i'm coming from or going to.... somewhere more important than where i am.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm like you...I do not feel comfortable going out in a tee-shirt...

I know it is ridiculous but that is the way I am...I love my clothes and they're part of my DNA...

Do not let anybody bullying you into being someone different..

Thread Killer

Reaction score
I've resigned myself to always being more well-dressed than almost anyone else in the room. I went to a wedding earlier this year (charcoal suit) where a friend of mine and the groom was wearing a polo shirt and cargo pants (because they were "dressier" than jeans). I don't understand it, but I've tried to stop caring about it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friends Who Hate Getting Dressed Up ... I don't invite to sit down dinner parties. In invite them when I'm grilling in the backyard.

But sweat pants ... they know better than to try that. The last time that happened ... I made certain to spill my drink -- when no one was looking -- in just the right spot. Then once everyone noticed ... I made sure to as if he'd like one of the Depends we keep in the guestroom as a courtesy to our older visitors.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't like to be pressured by their friends. Personal style is what it is. If someone is very casual, getting dressed up probably isn't something he wants to do and maybe he doesn't even own an odd jacket, for example. Maybe meet him halfway and ask that he wear a collared shirt, chinos, and casual shoes. Of course there are situations where, say, a suit is required, and if a person won't comply with the dress code, he probably shouldn't be invited.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrBon

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics