• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends Who Hate Getting Dressed Up

phillyesq

Reaction score
I have a lot of friends that don't enjoy clothing. I have a friend who is a computer programmer -- he wears jeans and a tshirt just about daily. When we meet for drinks after work, he may give me a hard time about what I'm wearing, and then I laugh it off, bust his stones about something else, and move on. It isn't really a big deal.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thread Killer
I went to a wedding earlier this year (charcoal suit) where a friend of mine and the groom was wearing a polo shirt and cargo pants (because they were "dressier" than jeans).

I have you beat. I went to a wedding once where people wore shorts and flip-flops - and wondered why I was "overdressed" in a collared shirt and blazer (no tie)...
confused.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have friends like those, and they probably think I'm an ass for being a try-hard when it comes to dressing up. No big deal.

PipPip

Reaction score
For me its completely irrelevant. I have friends who live a rural life here in France and only wear old clothes with holes in and ripped up jogging trousers. They used to be city people and say they just outgrew the whole dressing up/fashion/materialistic competition of city life. They are wonderful people who many on this forum would not give the time of day to because they look scruffy. Perhaps your scruffy friend is more mature and self confident than you. I like to dress well in the right environment, but really don't let other peoples dress choices get to me. Some growing up is required by many people on this forum, one of the reasons I don't come here very often.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipPip
They are wonderful people who many on this forum would not give the time of day to because they look scruffy. Perhaps your scruffy friend is more mature and self confident than you. I like to dress well in the right environment, but really don't let other peoples dress choices get to me. Some growing up is required by many people on this forum, one of the reasons I don't come here very often.

Actually, they're the ones who need to grow up, and they're not alone. I'm so tired of this attitude of "I'm a slob because I'm more spiritually evolved than you." People are slobs because they're lazy and sloppy, and I wish they'd stop trying to con the rest of us into thinking they're Buddhas. Choosing to live your life in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops makes a statement, all right - but that statement has bad grammar, mis-used words, and is scrawled in crayon on the priceless tapestry we call life. Maturity is growing to understand why such things aren't always appropriate.

More pragmatically, it shows they've never learned to buy clothes properly. Ninety-nine per cent of the time, slobs cite comfort as the reason they dress as they do - sweat pants, jeans. flip-flops, t-shirts, these are all clothes you can get away with wearing without a proper fit (they're also an aid to scratching yourself, but one thing at a time). Learn to make good material choices and choose the proper size and you can be comfortable in a wide range of clothing. I can't count the times I've heard someone complain about wearing dress shirts at work and discovered they selected the wrong collar size.
facepalm.gif

Mr.P

Reaction score
It comes down to personal choice. I tend to avoid people who are obviously careless in what they wear, so all my acquaintances are either well dressed or aspire to be. All I can say is - either accept your friends for how they look, or find new friends.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friends are my friends because they have human qualities I appreciate...

The way they look is not that relevant...
I dislike equally snobs (and they're too many on that forum) who think that sartorial etiquette is purely a reflection of their social class and anti-snobs lie Pipip who think that they have reached a kind of post-materialistic Nirvana..

They are both equally boring and predictable...Enjoy your clothes ,live your clothes , hide behind them but never ever think that they're your persona..

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Actually, they're the ones who need to grow up, and they're not alone. I'm so tired of this attitude of "I'm a slob because I'm more spiritually evolved than you." People are slobs because they're lazy and sloppy, and I wish they'd stop trying to con the rest of us into thinking they're Buddhas. Choosing to live your life in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops makes a statement, all right - but that statement has bad grammar, mis-used words, and is scrawled in crayon on the priceless tapestry we call life. Maturity is growing to understand why such things aren't always appropriate.

More pragmatically, it shows they've never learned to buy clothes properly. Ninety-nine per cent of the time, slobs cite comfort as the reason they dress as they do - sweat pants, jeans. flip-flops, t-shirts, these are all clothes you can get away with wearing without a proper fit (they're also an aid to scratching yourself, but one thing at a time). Learn to make good material choices and choose the proper size and you can be comfortable in a wide range of clothing. I can't count the times I've heard someone complain about wearing dress shirts at work and discovered they selected the wrong collar size.
facepalm.gif

+1
Beautifully stated.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb

I think you just won the award for being snobby elitist asshole.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snobism is a form of racism because you do see other people who made different choices than yours as inferior..

Reverse snobism is just as bad..

I'm a SR customer and I'm judged by some of my peers for spending an obscene amount of money in a suit and I do not feel superior because I'm wearing a SR garnment..
In the same time , I do not feel inferior because these garnments are making me happy and are bringing as much happiness to my life as any other passion or hobby..

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am the exact oppisite, so I have a hard time understanding these people. I never leave the house if I am not dressed up or at least dressed nicely. I have a neighbor who I am only seen in t-shirts and shorts or pajama pants, even when he goes to work. I have always wondered if that is all he has in his closet since i have never seen him in anything else.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
I think you just won the award for being snobby elitist asshole.

So you're qualified to judge? Awards are usually issued by top experts in the field...

Actually, I'm just a mature adult attempting to live in a civilized world - nowadays, that is pretty much enough to get someone labeled a snobby elitist.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Snobism is a form of racism because you do see other people who made different choices than yours as inferior..
No... not even close...
facepalm.gif

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of my close male friends is a clothing aficionado. One is a real estate developer who usually wears a black t-shirt and jeans. Another friend wears clothing that my girlfriend thinks were purchased from "Garanimals" (http://www.garanimals.com/).

We are friends because we share common interests, outlooks and philosophies regardless of different sartorial choices.

That said, even my most casually-dressed friends know when to dress up - my girlfriend and I took my "Garanimals" friend to Christmas dinner at Il Mulino and he wore a suit - nothing that would impress anyone on SF, but a suit and tie nevertheless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads