• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends that move out of the city, never to be seen again?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an annoying part of growing up. Certain friends moving out to the 'burbs and then never hanging out because of strange issues like gas prices and traffic. How do you guys deal with it? Just write them off with a hearty "nice to know you now enjoy your new hell?"

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's happening in college, wouldn't be surprised when it happens once more come marriage. Just the way it happens.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
This is an annoying part of growing up. Certain friends moving out to the 'burbs and then never hanging out because of strange issues like gas prices and traffic. How do you guys deal with it? Just write them off with a hearty "nice to know you now enjoy your new hell?"

Then go hang out with them in the 'burbs?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It happens. It's life. Imagine what happens when ppl start having kids!

BTW, I have found it cuts both ways. Not any one party is at fault, well, at least, not some of the time. I have friends who are single and unattached whom I rarely see anymore, and it is not for a lack of my trying. It's just that, confronted with the option of having dinner (downtown) with me, the wife, and kid vs. heading to a happy hour where there is the potential to meet single women, the single women win.

imschatz

Reaction score
Can I add those friends who graduated highschool and moved on to university never to be heard from again, into that group of "why did they do that to me?" people?

volatility smile

Reaction score
Like other people said, it happens... however, if you're really friends, you'll find some way to keep in touch.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
It happens. It's life. Imagine what happens when ppl start having kids!

BTW, I have found it cuts both ways. Not any one party is at fault, well, at least, not some of the time. I have friends who are single and unattached whom I rarely see anymore, and it is not for a lack of my trying. It's just that, confronted with the option of having dinner (downtown) with me, the wife, and kid vs. heading to a happy hour where there is the potential to meet single women, the single women win.

Douglas, can I just suggest a plan for you? If you had yourself a ****** installed...maybe on your forearm, so you could access it too...I think you'd soon get a win/win situation going with your single friends.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Douglas, can I just suggest a plan for you? If you had yourself a ****** installed...maybe on your forearm, so you could access it too...I think you'd soon get a win/win situation going with your single friends.

sort of like the one you have on your calf?
wink.gif

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw man. I kinda meant friends that couldnt hack it in the city and move out, never to hang out ever again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
sort of like the one you have on your calf?
wink.gif

laugh.gif

So what you're saying is, win?

Aw man. I kinda meant friends that couldnt hack it in the city and move out, never to hang out ever again.

What do you mean by "couldn't hack it"? Just that they, you know, needed room for kids to play outside, or wanted more floorspace in their dwelling? Or a little peace and quiet? Is moving out of the city definitionally "can't hack it" to you?

One problem, if you live in the burbs, is driving home. If you've got kids, I could see where having to stay overnight to party would not happen often.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No no no, not kids. Just mid-late 20's, certain friends have gotten a hankering for big teevees and a general calling for the suburban lifestyle. They're all broke now from buying toys on credit and they're just kinda idle now. The same guys you used to be able to grab a drink with after work or meet at each other's apartments to hang out. Just gone, gone gone...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No no no, not kids. Just mid-late 20's, certain friends have gotten a hankering for big teevees and a general calling for the suburban lifestyle. They're all broke now from buying toys on credit and they're just kinda idle now. The same guys you used to be able to grab a drink with after work or meet at each other's apartments to hang out. Just gone, gone gone...

Ah, gotcha. Well, ringing up credit cards for toys is stupid. Less stupid, IMO, ringing them up on partying, but stupid none the less.

People change, their priorities change. Hang tight, some might come back around. I know I party and hang more than I did 7-8 years ago, as I was kind of busy getting some life tasks squared away. You might find that happens to your friends too.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Then go hang out with them in the 'burbs?

Sounds like fun for an early-mid 20s guy.
sarcasm.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Sounds like fun for an early-mid 20s guy.
sarcasm.gif

Where do you think all the 18-year-old rising college freshwomen who are mad at their fathers live?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads