• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends, Business, and women - does it work?

Maverick_

Reaction score
I am keen to hear from people if it has. I am studying a module where we have had to work in a team of 5 to produce a business plan, we are all friends, we had 8 weeks to produce it (its due this Friday), we are all friends. During those 8 weeks not a single full turnout meeting has taken place and every team needs a organiser and we have one - me (and I feel like I've failed).

We've got a girl who is seems mentally-displaced and over reactive, for criticism for not delivering what she was expected to (she has a selfish reputation), and another couple of people who have not put the effort in, and its been left to two members to carry the project.

I've learnt that when I run my business in future, going with friends may not be the best idea or better, choosing the correct type of people to employ/work with is VERY important.

Working with guys is easier then girls, as we just don't mix emotions with business. I am not generalising because there are awesome girls out there and I've had good experiances too. I've worked in teams of guys and girls before and its been easier to work with guys, girls can get exteremly vicious sometimes over the smallest things!

I thrive when it comes to entrepreneurial activities like these, I feel like I've actually LEARNT something during this process but it has left me with such disappointed feelings of not achieving the potential!

What do you do?

Argh!
musicboohoo[1].gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome to the real world, and yes, business + friends or business + unprofessional people doesn't lead to good results.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maverick_
I am keen to hear from people if it has. I am studying a module where we have had to work in a team of 5 to produce a business plan,

What do you do?

Next time get all the Indian and Chinese kids in your group. The Indians have convinced the world they are good at math, and the Chinese, well even if they aren't, they will work 20 hours a day on the project.

I actually had a European student tell me this. He admitted it was so he could be the stereotypical European and have more leisure time. The American students all formed groups with their friends and had your problem.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now you understand why being a manager can really suck. This is why so many people don't truly like to lead. It turns out it is a lot of hard work. Even during my MBA, where people were supposed to be interested in leading, it felt like 80% were not, 10% just liked the prestige or power that came with leading, and 10% were somehow good leaders.

I don't necessarily have a problem with friends or women on my teams. In fact, I like working with people that I consider at least somewhat my friends. People have strengths and weaknesses, and they have wants and needs. If you want to lead people, you need to quickly assess these things and find ways to fit them into the puzzle to take advantage of strengths, protect from weaknesses, and fulfill some of those needs, and hopefully a few wants.

BTW, I will have serious disagreements with coworkers about things, but immediately after work is done, we're ready to go have some drinks together. . .we know business is business and can maintain that curtain between personal and professional. That is important.

Reveille24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Next time get all the Indian and Chinese kids in your group. The Indians have convinced the world they are good at math, and the Chinese, well even if they aren't, they will work 20 hours a day on the project.

Oh my. That's not funny, yet I'm so laughing ha

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reveille24
Oh my. That's not funny, yet I'm so laughing ha

It's even funnier when a European Union bureaucrat working on his MBA tells it to you
teacha.gif

Belgians, they have this world figured out
plain.gif

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
BTW, I will have serious disagreements with coworkers about things, but immediately after work is done, we're ready to go have some drinks together. . .we know business is business and can maintain that curtain between personal and professional. That is important.

+1.

And the ability to both say without consequence and understand completely when someone says "Hey, leave me the hell alone for ten minutes so I can nail down this issue, and then you'll have my undivided attention," whether he be CS Rep I or Exec VP.

Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to have a great office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads