• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge - The Gold Standard - Who did it best? VOTE!!!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
in stitches :
Originally Posted by in stitches
FRIDAY CHALLENGE This one's for you Mr. Spoo. But first a few disclaimers. 1. I'm a rookie so my "A" game may be more of a "C-" game, please don't hold it against me. It's my first MTM so I think it fits best of all the suits I have. 2. Manton, before you even start, I do not own any decent shoes with laces. I blew my load on these Zegna Couture loafers before I knew enough about shoes. Untill I can afford another pair this is what I am working with. 3. Whnay, I'm not a big photo guy my only camera that can upload is my phone. Too add, my wife can only handle taking so many photos that all look the same to her, she is still getting used to my affair with SF. Please therefore forgive the photo quality. 4. For some reason, maybe the way I'm standing the jacket sleeves seem to look a tad longer than they are IRL. 5. I am including some fit pics and some close ups that better represent the true colors of the items. Per the advise of a certain member here I did not wear a PS, but I put some pics of it in as I would like to know if you guys think it's a good look with this outfit. So, Mr. Spoo if you think these are up to snuff please include them in the challenge, if not hopefully it will be worth the post for the feedback. Cheers.
2011-03-16_23-14-51_899.jpg
2011-03-16_23-18-35_482.jpg
2011-03-16_23-13-56_399.jpg
2011-03-13_23-03-15_103.jpg
2011-03-13_23-04-34_780.jpg
[/SPOILER]

[/SPOILER] Navi:
Originally Posted by Navi
FRIDAY CHALLENGE
VNEw4.jpg
I don't have any good green ties or I would have worn one of em. :p Also Spoo, I'll throw in that I actually like the outfit everyone was calling too busy. Love the pattern on those trousers, and deets on the tie? edit: Opinions on my new tie above? Got it today, not sure if it's too busy but I like the pattern. From afar it looks pretty cool, imo.

[/SPOILER] upr_crust:
Originally Posted by upr_crust
As I post today's attire, I note that, in architectural terms, the prevailing style on WAYWRN is like that of the Seagrams building in New York - tall and thin, the bronze skin of the exterior of the building stretched tightly over the building's frame, simple lines, almost no ornamentation of any sort, but made with the most luxurious of materials. I think most of you strive for a style like that. Whereas you're all trying to be the Seagrams building, I'm more naturally striving for Blenheim Palace. Let us hope that my cornices, architraves, and pilasters are in good order today. I can well imagine that my "fit" today will not be popular. With tongue planted firmly in cheek, let me predict people's reactions. Mbreinin will hate the fact that I'm wearing purple. Spoopoker will hate the fact that I'm not wearing ENOUGH purple. Acridsheep will dislike the amount of bling. Spoozy will not understand why all three pieces of my suit match. Orgetorix will be horrified that I thrifted nothing that I was wearing (though, in my own defense, I bought nothing a full retail - I have SOME principles, after all). Threadbearer will not understand why I'm not wearing argyles Holdfast will wonder what deep-seated psychological problems drive me to dress as I do UrbanComposition will whizz past my posting in his need for speed scrolling NORE/Forex/Bigbris (I posit that they are one in the same) will be too busy reaching for an anti-regurgitant upon seeing my face to notice what I'm wearing and Oldog/Oldtrix will say nothing, as the Buddha of Pattern Matching instructs best by example, showing the true path towards sartorial nirvana (possibly leading to various spots on upper Madison Avenue, Jermyn St., and Savile Row on the way).
IMGP0255480x1280.jpg
IMGP0248851x1280.jpg
IMGP0249851x1280.jpg

[/SPOILER] Holdfast:
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I already did. And he looks awesome.
tongue.gif
The whole look gives off an late-80s vibe to me (colours & textures especially). Personally, I loved the clothes in that era, so rock on. I suspect that you will find that it is not SF's preferred time-period, however. In that case - as I look out the window into overcast skies and steady drizzle - lucky you! I loved the preamble. I like today's look too, esp. the shirt/tie combo. FRIDAY CHALLENGE I'm most at home in suits rather than odd jackets, so I had to pick a suit to wear. And I love bold looks, so navy pinstripe was the way to go. This new shirt is, I think, going to become a favourite of mine, so I wanted to use it too. The tie is perhaps a little subdued for me, but very much in the colour spectrum I like to use with navy suits, and the contrasting pocket square and the hidden maroon socks are examples of the little eccentric/non-SF touches that I enjoy using. And of course, the trouser leg is a trifle wider than most here prefer. So, yes, this is very much how I like to see myself, which is how I interpreted the challenge. My only regret is the lack of natural light, affecting photo quality. I might try again shortly as the sun seems to be poking out a little from behind the clouds...
wink.gif

sSe3i.jpg
[/SPOILER] Orgetorix:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
The weather decided to get warm all of a sudden, making the fit I was going to do unwearable. So I decided to enlist Fred's help again, since he brought good luck last time. Despite the celebrity DTO nature of the fit, it actually fits my style to a tee and is probably the best example of my warm-weather fits.
ADSCF7349-Copy.jpg
DSCF7353.jpg
DSCF7339.jpg

[/SPOILER] J.Cogburn:
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Appologies for the somewhat blury images - still trying to figure out this new digital camera of mine. Anyway, today's rig features the third wearing of my bespoke William Field DB with light blue shirt and silver/grey ribbled Ben Silver tie.
NlwK6h.jpg
PkHgph.jpg
Bonus - a couple of "fit" shots;
5YjVeh.jpg
q3mqVh.jpg

[/SPOILER] aeglus:
Originally Posted by aeglus
Guess this is pretty close to me when I feel like suiting up (was mostly taking pics to check proportions on this suit and happy it's warm enough to even think of wearing it).
tumblr_li99vmgmmN1qcq3ab
tumblr_li99wxj0pc1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_li99yzB6YI1qcq3ab
tumblr_li9a1cT7Fi1qcq3ab
SpooPoker:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Love me, hate me, take me or leave me, this is me doing me. *also debuting a new suit
biggrin.gif
2b320f51.jpg
7d2ab457.jpg
874322b4.jpg
acridsheep:
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Friday Challenge Bottom left captures the essence of acridsheep:
as_318_nevergonnawin.jpg
Initial reports vary from brown to black. Actual suit color is charcoal.
MBreinin:
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Probably the last chance I will have to bust this out this season. Of course, when I am in the "Raise the Bar Challenge," my sleeve gets all torqued out of whack.
ffffuuuu.gif
Oh well, here it is. Mike
BarChallenge2.JPG
BarChallenge1.JPG
BarChallenge3.JPG
clarinetplayer:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
a2.jpg
clarinetplayer49
a3-1.jpg
a6.jpg
En route for a day of evaluating performances of Bach 2 and 3 part Inventions.
Chico2007:
Originally Posted by Chico2007
Inspired by recent Spoopoker fit, here is my poor man's version: Taking wifey out for steak dinner tonight, which one gets me more/better sechs (if any)? Would prefer/settle for **, should I try diff fit?
5mzc9.jpg
27zah6x.jpg
27zi4q8.jpg
SC : Jos.A Banks thrifted $8.99 Shirt: J.Crew final sale $29.99 (over paid) Tie:Nautica clearance $12.99 PS:3 for $9.99 pack at Macys Pants: Banana R clearance $29.99 Shoes: Ken Cole monx bought 15yrs ago maybe $60 Watch: Orvis (gift from Mom&Dad
Fred49:
Originally Posted by Fred49
Fred18-002-copy.jpg
Fred18s-002.jpg
Fred18-002.jpg
oldog/oldtrix:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
The Gold Standard (note buckles on shoes):
The Thin White Duke:
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
In lieu of a long-awaited but never materialising seersucker challenge, here's my entry for the Friday 'Gold Standard' challenge:
1z3mbn7.jpg
4sbggm.jpg
2vwzspi.jpg
sobako.jpg
0b5cur1ty:
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I fear this is more standard-friday than gold-standard... but: New boots.
inlove.gif
DSC01857.jpg
DSC01861.jpg
DSC01862.jpg
sugarbutch:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Friday challenge-ing (Thanks to PA for his suggestion of a different helmet to alleviate the collar crushing of the previous one.)
20110318_1.jpg
20110318_2.jpg
Threadbearer:
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Is it just me, or are a lot of posts being preceded with disclaimers today? Here's mine. I don't have a gold standard yet because I'm still learning the ropes, and in the company of these particular competitors I feel as out of my element as a member of the Jamaican bobsled team. That said, here goes nuthin'.
Leaning-27.jpg
Closeup-78.jpg

LilacCords:
Originally Posted by LilacCords
Friday's challenge... Choice of two...by day or by night??? By day....
cotton2-1.jpg
By night....
plaid3-1.jpg
Have a great weekend.

NORE:
QUOTE=NORE;4251810]Pants aren't hemmed yet:
bluewhite005.jpg
Cuffs or flat? Pants are fully lined (to the very bottom front and back).[/quote]
NewYorkRanger:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Laid up the last two days with a stomach virus...so, Tuesday's day night double header will have to be gold enough. Sorry I missed Ed's show...
IMG_4219.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg

harvey_birdman:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Friday Challenge
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ndw:
Originally Posted by ndw
TB - I really like all of teh elements and colors here. Great tie. +1 Happy it's the weekend
qKU3p.jpg
sCCvH.jpg
M8Q4p.jpg
TTO:
Originally Posted by TTO
I feel slightly unworthy here today...but here gos nothing! Challenge? I need a
cocktails.jpg
-TTO

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. Generally high standard.

I voted for Crusty, Aeglus and TTO. Which is interesting, as only Aeglus would be an obvious choice for me ususally. Sugarbutch would have made it too, if only he'd gone for a plain white PS.
wink.gif

Chico2007

Reaction score
Oh Man, I def did not want to be in a challenge. Just wanted advice on the stuff I was going to wear to dinner (ended up wearing the cord SC).

Even though Spoopoker still has the wardrobe I want the most (KtownGreg is 2nd), this week my vote goes to J.Cogburn. Great fit!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aeglus, Spoo, Fred, Rob. Rob's navy 3 piece with the flat cap is my favourite overall. All put together looks that were very "them", but executed very well indeed. Probably should have voted for upr too, but forgot while going down the list ticking boxes. There were others that I considered voting for, but one item was off. sheep's suit fit seems a little off, Mike's is good but a different tie would have made it more engaging (the suit is so bold, it needs something to balance it and move the eye around), same goes for TTO, NORE needs to hem the trousers as he notes (and go for plain, not cuffs on those trousers), ndw's look is fine but he's put together better looks recently, etc, etc. Cogburn would also have got my vote, except I noticed he voted for himself. I know you're from DC, but you don't have to be a politician and vote for yourself when it comes to election time.
biggrin.gif
Nonetheless, if there's a tie-breaker for the lead, consider my vote going to him in spirit.
wink.gif

Chico2007

Reaction score

Cogburn would also have got my vote, except I noticed he voted for himself. I know you're from DC, but you don't have to be a politician and vote for yourself when it comes to election time.
biggrin.gif

OMG! I think I want to change my vote.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
^ +1. Generally high standard.

I voted for Crusty, Aeglus and TTO. Which is interesting, as only Aeglus would be an obvious choice for me ususally. Sugarbutch would have made it too, if only he'd gone for a plain white PS.
wink.gif

Interesting indeed, since you voted for three fits that are way off your personal spectrum of somber and monochromatic.

There were others that I considered voting for, but one item was off. sheep's suit fit seems a little off, Mike's is good but a different tie would have made it more engaging (the suit is so bold, it needs something to balance it and move the eye around

Ok. What tie would you have selected for this suit? I have worn it with three different ties. One, a grey cashmere with a diagonal windowpane. The other, a deep blue with small silver boat motif and then this tie. On every occassion I have worn a pattern, I have heard a chorus of "solid tie needed with this suit." So, I went with a solid that has strong texture, in lieu of some kind of pattern. I tried this tie out with it once before and it was met with solid praise. With a suit that makes such a bold statement, I find it hard to find a tie that won't induce vertigo.

However, I am always open to suggestions for the next wearing.

Mike

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does one now have to "click to show spoilers?" We used to be able to scroll through all the photos.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cogburn would also have got my vote, except I noticed he voted for himself. I know you're from DC, but you don't have to be a politician and vote for yourself when it comes to election time.
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Mine went to ndw. Simple, good stuff, consistently.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Why does one now have to "click to show spoilers?" We used to be able to scroll through all the photos.

Saves about 4 minutes of loading time for page 1 of the thread, and looks much cleaner.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My votes went like this:

1. Who raised the bar on WAYWRN?

For this, I voted for Harvey. No, his clothes were not the best. However, his video set a new standard. This, I consider, raising the bar on a WAYWRN post. This is next level **** and deserves recognition;

2. Who had a Gold Standard fit?

For this, I voted for Fred. This was arguably his best fit and it did not hurt that he was seated in that wonderful chair in his envy enducing pad. Rich colors, well coordinated. I thought it was great.

There were some really good fits this week, and I am glad this Challenge went pretty well.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Mike

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ I agree with that way of thinking. This challenge was really designed as a response to all the knocking the thread had received lately. Although now that you conservative business dress types have your WAYWRN pinned, I can run amok here in purples and paisleys.
biggrin.gif

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Saves about 4 minutes of loading time for page 1 of the thread, and looks much cleaner.

It saves no time if the goal is to view all images so they can be ranked...

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
It saves no time if the goal is to view all images so they can be ranked...

Yes it does. You look at the page once to see the images, then for the next 20 replies on page 1, every time you click on the thread, you have to wait for them all to load again.

Spoiler tags are the key to uncluttered thread management
laugh.gif
Its like the modernism movement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads