• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: Most Exciting Shoes - Who did it best? VOTE!!!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
upr_crust:

Originally Posted by upr_crust
Friday Challenge - funky footwear

Finding funkiness in my shoe collection isn't very easy, but I thought that, of all the shoes I own, these would be the most outre. I was going to make this an all black/grey/white ensemble, but my only grey tie was much too formal for the SC. I am also wearing the dreaded black gabardines, which, I am sure, will garner me some critical jabs.

FWIW, then - let the funk begin . . .

IMGP0370455x1280.jpg

IMGP0367808x1280.jpg

IMGP0368851x1280.jpg

SC, shirt, tie - Brooks Bros.
Trousers - Riviera, via Frank Stella, NYC
Shoes - Cole-Haan (purchased in the World Trade Center store August 2001)
Socks - Punto

aeglus:

Originally Posted by aeglus
I guess I'll play the shoe challenge this round:
tumblr_ljbp07nGpl1qcq3ab
tumblr_ljbnk28H2O1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

TTO:

Originally Posted by TTO
Why Did You Buy Those Shoes Challenge?

-TTO

oldog/oldtrix:

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

Fred49:

Originally Posted by Fred49
Friday shoe stuff
fred8.......jpg

fred8-shoes.jpg

DandySF:

Originally Posted by DandySF
In the spirit of the Friday challenge - I didn't have these in mind when I visited the Ferragamo store last week. I tried on a few conventional pairs but liked these best.

shoe.jpg

Holdfast:

Originally Posted by Holdfast
laugh.gif

You got to the punchline very quickly!

I really like the shirt in the acridsheep look the other guy referenced, but personally, I think a mid-grey suit would have worked better with it. A patterned tie might have counterbalanced the strong gingham too, maybe. But the jacket colour is the bigger issue.

I think I've mentioned before that I quite like those loafers. Not a fan of them with that particular look, but they're a pretty decent pair.

Gorgeous colour. Based on the full-length pics in your blog, the overall silhouette with this maker is basically there now.

I actually forgot about the contest until after I got dressed. But I don't have any really crazy shoes anyway, and the pair I chose to wear are moderately bold I guess, so I took a photo of them for the contest anyway. Up to Spoo/acecow as to whether they qualify for inclusion or not. I wore my croc oxfords earlier this week; should probably have saved them for today. Or worn specs. Oh well.
smile.gif

The weather really has been unseasonably awesome over the past few days...

s8SFY.jpg

Threadbearer:

Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Let's see if I can snag at least one vote this week.

These Lucchese's might not seem very "exciting" until you consider how far northeast of Texas I live. Today I also enlisted them for Casual Friday.

Leaning-32.jpg
Boots-2.jpg

Closeup-85.jpg

Sitting-2.jpg

NewYorkRanger:

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
What the hell is a shoe challenge on SF without a Shoe Circle:
IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

Now which to utilize?
IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

And yesterday some blue suede shoes:
IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

SpooPoker:

Originally Posted by Spoopoker
28b6070f.jpg

ndw:

Originally Posted by ndw
^Nice to see you posting again. Hope your practice is going well. I think the look could go without a PS or at least one without purple, as I think it clashes with the tie.

^HF, for some reason this is one of my favorite looks I can remember of yours. I like the color contrast and the suit is great.

My Adidas cuts the sand of a foreign land...and they are not used as selling shoes
they're black and white, white with black stripe
smile.gif

TGIF Cross post from consrvative thread. Not my craziest shoes, but I had actually forgotten about any challenge.

JYfqR.jpg
Ewaid.jpg

fkt4k.jpg

PTWilliams:

Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Thinking shoes with character, how about Black Stallion, National Velvet, and Flicka.
These shoes retain the hair just so children understand that these were made from their favorite horse. Better serving ham when watching "Babe",
or that special stew when watching 'Silence of the Lambs".
The jacket is actually brown and cream cashmere Brioni, Hermes cotton shirt , Ballentyne cashmerre
turtleneck , Brunello Cucinelli pants (the Italians seem to like them tight), and the shoes a pair of Italian-
made Kenneth Cole Ponytop shoes that I'ver never worn since I got them several years ago.

IPVca.jpg

sAQC7.jpg

MBreinin:

Originally Posted by MBreinin
I was up and out before the light today, so here are some crappy iPhone pics of the shooz..plus an older pic with the same pants for better viewing.

Mike

Shoes%20002.jpg

Shoes%20006.jpg

LG-1.jpg

Thin White Duke:

Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
Shoe challenge late entry, channelling Weller circa 1980:

28vvcyp.jpg

20u3dcz.jpg

DerekS

Originally Posted by DerekS
Heres mine today.....

IMG_3204.jpg

a little closer...
IMG_3210.jpg

would like some critiques....not sure about the tie...i think it may be a bit too much blue with the tie shirt and jacket.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Spoo... There is no poll that I can see.

Gimme a minute Scotty! Im giving it all shes got!!!

*edit - up with less poll fail this week!!!

Also included some of you who didnt mention the challenge in your post.. just in case!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Done before I even had the comment. That's some Quick Draw McGraw right there.

My votes went to:

NYR - For just sheer variety of awesomeness, and the blue pic because that was even more awesome.
Fred and Mike - Great spectators (those are spectators right?) both.
Threadbearer - As someone in Texas, I firmly believe that a well cared for and polished western boot is perfectly acceptable as an alternative to the every day dress shoe.

Kitontini

Reaction score
I thought this was supposed to be "Exciting Shoe" challenge. Honestly, there isn't much excitement happening. But I voted for.... HoldFast, TTO, and MBrenin. Those are some nice shoes!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kitontini
I thought this was supposed to be "Exciting Shoe" challenge. Honestly, there isn't much excitement happening. But I voted for.... HoldFast, TTO, and MBrenin. Those are some nice shoes!
This. Ranger's blue chukkas and Aeglus's Pee Wee white brogues too. Upr Crust, where's the Tony Stark beard?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
So, I am a little confused on the concept. The challenge I thought was "In this challenge you are invited to pull out the funkiest, weirdest pair of shoes from your collection.", which is a little different from "The best pair of shoes".

There are great shoes here, and I actually think that mine may be the "funkiest, weirdest pair", but they are in no way the best. Of course, everyone is free to vote however they want, and I'm going to be voting for the best, most interesting shoes that are well synchronized with the outfit. My vote will not be for the funkiest.

This isn't a complaint, I expect to get Vox's vote, but I wouldn't you guys thinking these were my vision of my best pair of shoes. It doesn't get much funkier and wierder than hairy shoes.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
As an integrated outfit, I really liked TTO. As a photograph which encapsulated the theme, I rather like SpooPokers.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
So, I am a little confused on the concept. The challenge I thought was "In this challenge you are invited to pull out the funkiest, weirdest pair of shoes from your collection.", which is a little different from "The best pair of shoes".

There are great shoes here, and I actually think that mine may be the "funkiest, weirdest pair", but they are in no way the best. Of course, everyone is free to vote however they want, and I'm going to be voting for the best, most interesting shoes that are well synchronized with the outfit. My vote will not be for the funkiest.

This isn't a complaint, I expect to get Vox's vote, but I wouldn't you guys thinking these were my vision of my best pair of shoes. It doesn't get much funkier and wierder than hairy shoes.

I agree, and based on this, Fred49 got my vote under 'weirdest' category.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You didnt like mine?!?!
frown.gif

The lack of a vote is out of pure jealousy mate.

I went to the driving range today, surrounded by snow, wearing layers of clothing. Surrounded by so many others doing the same.

6 months of winter is too much to bear sometimes.

LilacCords

Reaction score
Aeglus by a nose, closely followed by TTO and Holdfast.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me , it's Olddog and Mike...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads