• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: MC Does SW&D - YOUR WINNER ANNOUNCED

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny, I thought this week was owned by aeglus and it wasn't even close. But voting is pretty even

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: How many of these looks would allow the wearer to go virtually unnoticed at an indie rock club, to "blend in", as it were? Just sayin'...

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just went through the SW&D WAYWRN thread trying to find some inspiration ... i left with a lot of disappointment. In over 89 pages, i think i saved 5 fits.

really sw&d, really? i am assuming a lot of the guys talking isht about lack of MC style just dont post anymore in sw&d (ala maomao, iammatt etc) else i smell a whole lot of diavolo going on. Maybe i am looking in the wrong thread ... lol.

puzzled.gif
laugh.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If artoftime doesn't wint this, it's rigged.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
Q: How many of these looks would allow the wearer to go virtually unnoticed at an indie rock club, to "blend in", as it were? Just sayin'...

is that the definition of sw&d?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
i just went through the SW&D WAYWRN thread trying to find some inspiration ... i left with a lot of disappointment. In over 89 pages, i think i saved 5 fits.

really sw&d, really? i am assuming a lot of the guys talking isht about lack of MC style just dont post anymore in sw&d (ala maomao, iammatt etc) else i smell a whole lot of diavolo going on. Maybe i am looking in the wrong thread ... lol.

puzzled.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, a lot of what passes for "fits" over there is jeans and a tshirt, or at least that's what I remember when I used to be a frequent voyeur over there. In fairness, a lot of what passes for fits over here is just basic business wear, but at least there is an opportunity for greater nuance and variety within that framework.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

puzzled.gif
laugh.gif

Make sure you look through the discussion thread instead of the photos thread. Not many people stick stuff in the photos thread, and those that do usually aren't regulars. With how much stupid **** people ***** about in the discussion thread, 89 pages would add up to about 5 fits
smile.gif

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that the definition of sw&d?

Don't think so, it was just an exercise to help me separate who I thought was just doing "MC lite", and who looked like they might have a little street creed stashed in their selvage cuffs.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
SW&D also offers it's kind thanks for your participation:
Kunk hates everyone, don't take his ire personally.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL
Yeah, a lot of what passes for "fits" over there is jeans and a tshirt, or at least that's what I remember when I used to be a frequent voyeur over there. In fairness, a lot of what passes for fits over here is just basic business wear, but at least there is an opportunity for greater nuance and variety within that framework.

But I think most MCers understand that even in basic business wear the identification and acquisition of the "right" clothing is only 10% of the challenge of dressing well. Then we get into balancing and combining of fabrics, patterns, textures and colors. And that still leaves the most challenging and important part of execution which is tailoring and fit. MC dressing is a far more refined and challenging enterprise in my estimation. I have a lot of appreciation for well executed swd style, but it appears to be driven by the current fashions, of which mastery is not my primary objective.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I think most MCers understand that even in basic business wear the identification and acquisition of the "right" clothing is only 10% of the challenge of dressing well. Then we get into balancing and combining of fabrics, patterns, textures and colors. And that still leaves the most challenging and important part of execution which is tailoring and fit. MC dressing is a far more refined and challenging enterprise in my estimation. I have a lot of appreciation for well executed swd style, but it appears to be driven by the current fashions, of which mastery is not my primary objective.

They strongly disagree. I tried to assert this same point over there. They pretty much argued that a monkey can put together a good MC fit because it is basically a "paint by numbers uniform."

I am curious to see how they execute MC in their challenge.

Mike

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC dressing is a far more refined and challenging enterprise in my estimation. I have a lot of appreciation for well executed swd style, but it appears to be driven by the current fashions, of which mastery is not my primary objective.

Bingo.

You know, I thought that we took **** seriously on MC. The SW&D guys are way more serious about their t-shirts than we are about TF and Rubinacci.
rotflmao.gif

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
They strongly disagree. I tried to assert this same point over there. They pretty much argued that a monkey can put together a good MC fit because it is basically a "paint by numbers uniform."

Mike

As someone that does both things I think MC suiting is FAR more easy. Then again I like dressing in monotones or with just a single color popping out so that might be part of it.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin

Mike

I believe it will turn out badly. As the inverse to this current exercise, it will be a SW&D tinged take on MC, which as TC points out, involves a higher degree of complexity, coupled with lower tolerances. Aside from those few who are able to bridge both worlds successfully, I predict failure on a massive scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads