Friday WAYWRN Challenge: CM does SWD.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Oct 29, 2013.

MC does SWD

Poll closed Nov 4, 2013.
  1. Holdfast

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. UrbanComposition

14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. NOBD

31 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. luv2breformed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Orgetorix

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Mr. Moo

25 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Digmenow

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. EFV

54 vote(s)
    31.6%
  9. timotune

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  10. Cotton Dockers

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  11. Rick's Tailoring

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  12. Sprezziamo

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. kulata

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Kaplan

43 vote(s)
    25.1%
  15. in stitches

36 vote(s)
    21.1%
  16. Caustic Man

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. Pingson

38 vote(s)
    22.2%
  18. bourbonbasted

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  19. gdl203

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  20. Tirailleur1

64 vote(s)
    37.4%
  21. Kai

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  22. SpooPoker

23 vote(s)
    13.5%
  23. Claghorn

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  24. Coxsackie

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  25. FlyingMonkey

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my pleasure. ill PM you later with results. :cheers:

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Would love this. Especially if it can be present/mirrored across both forums. I really think SF lost something when the Great Schism took place and the two forums was created. It was probably needed in terms of managing the volume, but the cross-fertilisation of ideas between the two types of clothes was intriguing to me and got me interested in the board in the first place as it was pretty unique to see both represented in one discussion area.

For me, I'd be tempted to use it to occasionally take one great CM fit from the past week of WAYWRN and try to see what's still good about it when taken outside the CM groupthink. The same could be done by someone from the SW&D side. Even more fun, would be to take a disastrous fit, and again look at it from outside our usual perspectives to see it there's something more fundamentally awful. I suspect (hope?) that there's a lot of common ground about this sort of thing than might otherwise be thought. It would be fun to test that out.

BTW, thanks for the surprising number of likes on my post upthread; I don't know whether it's for the screed of text or the fit (which I thought was merely uncontroversial at best), but I guess I'll find out when the voting starts. Thanks anyway!

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That's a great idea, HF. Would be very useful to keep it productive, rather than just people arguing about the merits of MC Casual vs streetwear.

4. in stitches

1. i think at this point its very important that MC and SWD are split. totally different places in so many ways. there would be so much cross conversation and a lot of whining and arguing if it was one biy WAYWRN/WAYWT. at their present respective sizes and with the different personalities and vibes, the split is the way it should be imo.

2. ime, SWD understands quite well what is a great MC fit and what is a disastrous MC fit. highly unlikely that they would dislike a great MC fit or find much value in a disastrous one.

3. definitely agree that this potential new thread should be about productive and interesting civil conversation. any fighting or declarations of who is better or arguing about what mode of dress is better is pointless. imo, it should be about posters from their respective sub forums discussing what makes fits from their arena good and explaining things to people from the other side that they might not understand, and as well, to see what posters from the other side of the wall like or dont like from their neighbors on the other side.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

5. in stitches

just PMed emptym, ill update with his reply when i hear back. :)

6. Crat

Crat Senior member

will this be very different to MC casual? lot of the stuff I've seen so far seems quite similar tbh.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Yeah, maybe. Then again, I was reading that "Best of" thread over there, and the one skinhead dude got a lot of love for his "MC fits" featuring skintight, stacked pants with his jacket and tie. But maybe that's not the norm. :facepalm:

I think the intent is, "Go look at what SW&D guys wear and try to do something like that."

Whether that actually happens or not, who knows.

8. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

To me SW&D is split between two types of people. Half are the "goth ninja" types that embrace a more japanese streetwear concept. The other half seem to be more typical of what you'd find in a bar on a friday night.

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

You guys have to remember that there are a lot of different tastes in SW&D, and browsing a few pages doesn't really give you a good sense of that. It's like how when I view the CM WAYWT, I see a lot of awful pattern combinations... chances are I might not see a single fit from a really good poster if I just view five pages, and think that the four outfits from posters with ten posts each are "representative" of the overall taste.

Also a lot of us take shit pictures.

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

:puzzled: What?

11. in stitches

totally different. MC casual is nothing like what one would see in SWD, just like its a far cry from the most of the jacket and tie fits in WAYWRN in MC. its generally considered the wurst by those in SWD. fits that are neither here nor there. plus i am hoping that this new thread will engender more conversation.

well, thats defo not the norm, and even over there they know that that would not be a true MC fit. does not mean its bad tho in the world of SWD. different goals in the aesthetics.

it should go both ways. for MCers to see a little more and understand a little more about SWD and visa versa. both sides could use a little broadening of knowledge imo. i know i could. also, its not about going and doing and imitating it, its just about sharing caring and understanding. this is my platform for a nobel peace prize.

as stated above, there is no way to pigeonhole either side imo. both sides have a lot of variation of styles all of which can be great or horrible depending on the execution of the wearer. not all CBD looks good and not all goth-ninja is good and same for everything in between.

its takes a good amount of time to start to see where the real meat and potatoes of each side is and what is good and what is bad and what is in between. and dont get me wrong. no one is obligated to learn about the other side if they dont care to. but for those interested, i think it would be very cool.

---

thanks to emptym for getting back to me. he likes the idea. now he said i need to ask fok if this mirror idea can be done with the forum software. updates will be provided when available.

:)

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

In my (admittedly limited) experience, SWD seems less monolithic than CM. But there's a thread called the $5k wardrobe or something like that that's a pretty good place to start to get a sense of what kind of stuff people wear.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

interesting post. There was a fit by MoKent (which I cannot locate) in SW&D that I saw which has 130+ thumbs up at that time. It is something that I will not wear but since I've been trying to get a better understanding of the outfit and it's full context. It looks great on MoK....

14. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

There are a LOT of different styles and approaches in SW&D, and that's pretty obvious even by browsing 5-10 pages worth. We have rules as well, but they're most general and basic, like feeling comfortable in what you're wearing for example.

And yes, we can recognize a good (read: stylish) MC/suit fit very easily, and we have upvoted several MCers very highly in our WAYWT

15. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah.

SWD have a much better understanding of CM than CM has of SWD

And it isn't like CM is that easy to understand really. because that people on the street probably look at most of the posters oddly.

The thing is that SWD is much more open minded and understand aesthetics way more than CM does.

anyway we need to see more fits.