Friday WAYWRN Challenge: CM does SWD.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Oct 29, 2013.

MC does SWD

Poll closed Nov 4, 2013.
  1. Holdfast

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. UrbanComposition

14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. NOBD

31 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. luv2breformed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Orgetorix

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Mr. Moo

25 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Digmenow

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. EFV

54 vote(s)
    31.6%
  9. timotune

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  10. Cotton Dockers

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  11. Rick's Tailoring

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  12. Sprezziamo

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. kulata

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Kaplan

43 vote(s)
    25.1%
  15. in stitches

36 vote(s)
    21.1%
  16. Caustic Man

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. Pingson

38 vote(s)
    22.2%
  18. bourbonbasted

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  19. gdl203

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  20. Tirailleur1

64 vote(s)
    37.4%
  21. Kai

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  22. SpooPoker

23 vote(s)
    13.5%
  23. Claghorn

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  24. Coxsackie

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  25. FlyingMonkey

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I would hope people respect the spirit of the challenge. If not, EFV can exercise his godlike powers over the entries that are allowed. In any case, I'm sure most people in SW&D will find it more amusing to watch... [​IMG]

Wait for it.. it's not Friday yet. [​IMG]

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Taking this as an example, you'll notice that, in fashion you never go half-retard. Those baggy jeans work for the guy because he has long hair, a beard and is wearing some vintage looking sweater and a cap that probably marks his obsession with baseball. I bet he likes vintage motorcycles and has a lot of nice vinyls. If you have a dad haircut and try the same jeans with your button-down you'll end up looking stupid.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

doublepost

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

4. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Yes, I know... :embar:
    :lol:

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Since I called out the fail factor, I may actually participate in this. I won't get anywhere near people with a curated casual wardrobe, but I have a few things that will likely come together in a less-than-shameful kind of way.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Elegantly Wasted - with all due respect, you're not making yourself look particularly insightful so far in this thread.

I actually like lots of the imagery used in SW&D, in an abstract way. The trouble is - and Fuuma hints at this in his post above, while waxing lyrical about the long-haired fellow's hobbies - that it totally doesn't mesh with either my lifestyle or my personality. But for me, the point extends to the less extraordinary, more everyday, imagery evoked by SW&D. I don't do workwear because I don't see myself in that role (and I would look like a tryhard wearing it in that style); I don't do Yohji because I'm not a particularly new-agey flow-y kind of guy; I don't do goth ninja because... well, I'm not one. You see the problem: I'm a upper middle class fairly nerdy professional with a laid-back attitude, who mixes with similar people, and my own personal eccentricities tend to favour the more decorative/ornate side of tailored clothing. So it's tricky to find an authentic SW&D niche; I don't have an edgy side, more of a permanently - but crucially - affectionately amused at the world side. I'm happy, touch wood, and lots of fashion (and art, generally) rests on a tension between life as it is and life as the artist wants it to be. I don't have much of that tension in me.

The other "problem" in translating SW&D to my life is that I happily wear a tailored jacket (+/- tie) to most moderately casual events, and don't look out of place there, because many of the others there will be wearing something similar (though frequently minus the tie). And that's my age-group/profession/location/social cohort. So really/truly casual stuff is restricted to things like going to the supermarket or going for a walk in the countryside. So when I dress down, the most I can muster is rather pedestrian British middle class country-lite. Which kind of explains my very middle-of-the-road entry for this contest; I had to do some grocery shopping today so took a snap of what I wore. But just for you guys, I did do the apparently near-obligatory moody looking-down shot! Couldn't quite keep the grin off my face, so broke my usual habit of leaving that showing, to keep in sync with the pose. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Bah. I thought I had a cool sweater. Turns out I have a sweater that would be cool on somebody who it fit better.

I guess my problem is that I just don't like wearing t-shirts that much.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I find this interesting, because I'd guess that most of the SW&D posters have some formal attire - not a suit, probably, but definitely separates. Then again I don't know if it would pass CM muster.

Holdfast that looks good.

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

From last week. Keeping it simple, as to not expose my ignorance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Margiela
    Varvatos
    Barbour
    RRL
    Quoddy

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I think shoes are gonna be my Achilles' heel in this. Not sure I have much that would work.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

:rolleyes: Is there a more abused or vague insult than "dad jeans"? And this notion that MC critiques analyze fit down to the millimeter is just caricature. If you want to make your point in an effective way, drop the scare quotes and McQueen references, and post some pictures of negative and/or positive examples.

12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This thread has certainly gotten interesting.

13. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Can we agree that the fit on these is bad, and that the shoes are far too dressy to wear with blue jeans?

[​IMG]

And that these look pretty good, while stilling falling in CM's taste sphere?

[​IMG]

Jeans don't really have to be slim to look good, but if you're going to go wider you need to make some other changes like wearing the proper footwear and top. A lot of CM guys just wear what they normally wear - dress shoes, tweed blazer - and throw on a pair of indigo jeans that fit like suit pants, only they don't drape at all so obviously it doesn't work.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm going to stay away from the more dadstyle / MC casual fits because, well, this is "MC does SWD" not "MC does MC casual"...

I feel very self-conscious about the pre-shrunk state of these jeans with all that talk about jeans fit perfection and all... [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    illesteva / nanamica / BBBF / Taylor Stitch / Rafstros / Sinn 142st / espresso

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ gdl showing how its done. HF and BB looking pretty good too. ^^

just saw your post. suffice it to say, i simply disagree across the board. that fit was spectacular.

and i spend a great deal of time, and a fair amount of money on my SWD type clothing. i would confidently say i am not without a clue.

i do not think most SWDers have MC gear that would pass muster. from what i see there its only a few, most of whom were MCs guys at some point, and then shoreman and SVB, but outside of that, i have not seem much great MC success there. and again, i think that is because most guys there dont care for MC, which is fine, and hence, do not put the time, money or energy into a mode of dress they do not find appealing.