1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Friday WAYWRN Challenge: CM does SWD.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Oct 29, 2013.

MC does SWD

Poll closed Nov 4, 2013.
  1. Holdfast

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. UrbanComposition

14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. NOBD

31 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. luv2breformed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Orgetorix

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Mr. Moo

25 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Digmenow

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. EFV

54 vote(s)
    31.6%
  9. timotune

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  10. Cotton Dockers

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  11. Rick's Tailoring

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  12. Sprezziamo

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. kulata

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Kaplan

43 vote(s)
    25.1%
  15. in stitches

36 vote(s)
    21.1%
  16. Caustic Man

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. Pingson

38 vote(s)
    22.2%
  18. bourbonbasted

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  19. gdl203

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  20. Tirailleur1

64 vote(s)
    37.4%
  21. Kai

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  22. SpooPoker

23 vote(s)
    13.5%
  23. Claghorn

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  24. Coxsackie

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  25. FlyingMonkey

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

This.

2. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hf. Not sure if I agree with swd and drama. Synth, snowman and Parker rack up thumbs probably more than anyone. Not sure if I would call any of their fits dramatic.
    Alo the aesthetics of the designers fafavored at swd stem from minimalist ideas.

But then again I might be misunderstanding what you mean by dramamtic.when I think of such a word John Galliano comes to mind

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Quote:
    Yeah, I don't mean drama as in histrionic flair (like Galliano), but more in the sense of creating distinct identity separate from the great mass of "other". Admittedly, probably the wrong word to be using, but I couldn't think of a better one. Maybe this would be a better way to put: many CM posters - especially those new to tailored clothes - essentially want to create a look that's the same as everyone else around them, but done a little bit better. They may not quite articulate it as such, but that's basically the extent of their aims. On the other hand there's another school of thought that's about creating a sense of difference/identity through clothes: a clear message (which can be minimalist or maximalist or something else entirely). That's what I mean by drama - a deliberate sense of a role/identity. Now, I would say that the best CM dressers DO understand and apply this. I'm talking about the greater mass of those just wanting to look moderately decent in a suit for work, or whatever.

I also think this plays into what Synth writes above (dunno if tongue-in-cheek or not) - and what I hinted at upthread too - about a sense of happiness/self-satisfaction vs a sense of alienation/dissatisfaction with the world. CM is "happier" in the sense of largely accepting many (not all, of course) widespread conventions when it comes to identity (and by extension, clothes) and society. Less tension leads to a different sense of how clothes are used.

(Also, from quick browse, there are clearly a lot of SWD posters who also simply want to do the same-but-better thing, but those looks don't seem to garner quite as much positive feedback. All the three guys you mention above have a distinct personal identity that comes across in their fits, at least to me, again just from a quick browse).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ok, here goes. Unfortunately the quality of the pics are crap, but hopefully you can see what I'm going for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18 people like this.
  6. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Now this guy gets it. ALL BLACK ERRTHING!

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

lol, but that does look good, EFV.

still waiting for conrad in everell and what not.

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Pant leg pulled up for the pic of the jump boot.

[​IMG]

PRL flannel
    PRL gray/navy colorblock waffle hoodie
    Uniglo
    military surplus boots
    unknown local graffiti artist

9. Tirailleur1

EFV... you are a Swede. SWD is in your blood.

3 people like this.
  10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Apparently the key to winning SWD is to look away from the camera, dejected.

6 people like this.
  11. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

We cracked the code almost simultaneously.

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

This is meant to be helpful by the way. I still think there's a gap where MC guys aren't getting the SW&D style. The approach is too formulaic:

Sportscoat -> cardigan, and it fits perfectly / tailored
    Dress shirt -> casual shirt, still tucked in
    wool pants -> cotton pants, and still hemmed to minimal break
    dress shoes -> dress boots, still too shiny

SW&D is doing things differently.... the outerwear has unusual proportions, the sweatshirts/cardigans have unusual fabrics, textures, etc, the shirts are usually tshirts sometimes layered, untucked, and interesting necklines or hemlines, the pants can be tight stacked jeans or loose flowing wool or straight stiff canvass, etc, and the shoes are low or high sneakers, patent or artificially beaten in, pants maybe even tucked into them, etc... It's just a whole different approach.

and yes, I realize that most MC guys don't own a whole lot of this kind of stuff, and no, I'm not trying to make this all seem unapproachable.

14. in stitches

looking down/away is a common SWD pose indeed. but snowman smiles a mile wide and he is a SWD supah stah.

---

vurr good, moo.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Ok, here's my attempt. Even though this isn't a celeb DTO, I picked one of my favorite movie-person images as an inspiration, to give my fit a little more purpose than just randomly throwing stuff on.

[​IMG]

Jacket: Vintage '40s/'50s LL Bean
    Shirt: chambray, unknown maker
    Jeans: Levis
    Boots: Dexter work boots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Tirailleur1

I mean I usually post in SWD so I wasn't sure if were to change my aesthetic for this challenge. I don't think any of the fits I posted really fit in MC Casual either.

17. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

Thought I might chime in that I've found this whole thread really awesome and interesting. I saw this poll go up earlier in the week and thought I'd check back today and see what was posted. It just took my whole lunch hour to get thru reading everything, which was unexpected. I think all the talk of a cross-over thread is cool and I'm enjoying the looks that are being posted.

I'm obviously new to these forums.
    I would describe myself as a recovering MC who's discovered my true self is more SW&D.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I don't know if it has been brought up, but on the whole I would say there is an average of 10 years of age separating MC and SWD. Maybe more. Many MC guys have to at least wear "business casual" to work, and just bump that to what we see in MC - ties, suits, overcoats, etc. Many SWD guys are still in college, business school, or otherwise employed in creative fields where they can practically wear whatever they want. Thus, flowing from MC to SWD and vice versa is harder than just "trying to do it better" because there may be the underlying issue of a real lack of actual clothing with which to try new things, because MC guys don't need bedfords and low neck tees, and SWD guys don't need suits and Edward Greens.

5 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

See, this is what I tried to avoid with my fit. I didn't want to have any CM elements and go totally SW&D. I didn't want MC Casual light. Apparently I failed miserably in this attempt lol, but that was the goal.

20. Tirailleur1

Trying is what counts. And I encourage you to continue. Please don't see this challenge as a one off thing but a new horizon on your non mc fits.