• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge 3/11/11 - As decided by Orgetorix...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The next WAYWRN challenge is...

BEST TRAD!

What is Trad? Think traditional American, Ivy-league style. Joe Pompeo's article in the NYT summed it up pretty well:

Think Oxford button-downs (and that's real button-downs, meaning collars that button down, not simply dress shirts, to which the term is often misapplied). Natural-shouldered blazers. Flat-front khaki trousers. Loafers. Bow ties, rep ties. Polo shirts in solid colors. Lots of madras plaid. Early Brooks Brothers. New England WASPs. F. Scott Fitzgerald.

"Trad is sort of the antithesis of what's happening in fast fashion right now," said Michael Williams, 30, who obsesses over classic American men's clothing on his blog, A Continuous Lean. "It's like the opposite of what all the men's wear designers are doing," Mr. Williams continued. "It's not fashion; it's clothes."
So get out your repp ties, sack blazers, shell cordovan shoes, and button-down shirts. Get our your go-to-hell pants, your tweed, your madras, and penny loafers. Get trad!

For more info on what Trad looks like, check out these threads at AAAC:

American Trad Men
Trad 101

Madras-Sport-Coat-001.jpg

daniel_patrick_moynihan.jpg

Rugby+Ralph+Lauren+4.jpg

acheson.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah! This was one that I was going to choose long ago.....

This should be a good one.

ffffuuuu.gif
Spoo.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trad is not a look I've worn much, although I do like some preppy items. But the only undarted jacket I have is part of summer-weight BBBF and there's no way it's going to be warm enough for that in England by next Friday.
laugh.gif
I'll have to re-imagine Trad, in a similar vein as movie studios do when they also completely miss the point of the original being reimagined. Mr Lifschitz's fine range of goods will hopefully help in that regard.
tongue.gif
(btw, there's something deeply, deeply amusing about the concept of Trad being used as a theme for dressing-up challenge! My subversive nature applauds Orgetorix's cheekiness on that score!)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I may have to sit this one out.

Considering your personal style as displayed in these fora, that might be very wise - to the best of my knowledge, Tom Ford is not considered Trad - Thom Browne, maybe, TF - don't think so.

It will be interesting to see if people do the sack suit/buttondown version of Trad, or the GTH/Fairfield County fruit-salad color scheme version, or something in between.

Believe it or not, this may be a competition for which I could actually compete, considering the percentage of BB in my closet - (repeat after me "repp stripe tie, buttondown shirt, repp stripe tie, buttondown shirt . . .)
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
It will be interesting to see if people do the sack suit/buttondown version of Trad, or the GTH/Fairfield County fruit-salad color scheme version, or something in between.

It is a tough choice. I could do the BB sack, OCBD, Repp tie and Shell longwings.....

Or, the red pants DB blazer bowtie look.....

Or, bust out the Thom Browne DB (which is universally despised here
lol8[1].gif
)...for the inbetweener....

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there a diference between Trad and Preppy? Are they the same or do they intersect in some kind of sartorial Venn Diagram?

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh dear...what do I have thats Trad...?

BBC

Reaction score
I might have to throw down for this one. A little preview of my trad game.

If I had to guess, though, I'd suppose most SFers won't know what to look for in a good "trad" outfit. I assume most don't know what a 5/16" edge is, or a lapped seam, a 2B sleeve, or a hook vent.

adsfadsfadsf014.jpg

ujh006.jpg

jfghuyykuyuk008.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Is there a diference between Trad and Preppy? Are they the same or do they intersect in some kind of sartorial Venn Diagram?

The way I think of it, preppy is the casual side of trad. Trad is the blue blazer, repp tie and chinos side, preppy is the shorts, polo, tennis sweater as scarf (something that never fails to elicit a WTF from me...) and topsiders end of it.

At least as I think of it. Distinctions in matters such as this are rather fluid.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
I might have to throw down for this one. A little preview of my trad game.

If I had to guess, though, I'd suppose most SFers won't know what to look for in a good "trad" outfit. I assume most don't know what a 5/16" edge is, or a lapped seam, a 2B sleeve, or a hook vent.

BBC is the Tradmaster!

However, I do have a Brooks sack suit from the glory days with 2B sleeve, hook vent and all that good stuff....

I guess if BBC is gonna play, I will have to bring the Tradliest stuff I have. I wore it this week, but it is one of my favorites.

Mike

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While diehard trads will argue that preppy is a distinct style of its own, separate from trad, in truth they're so close that preppy is certainly acceptable for this challenge.

And btw, as with previous challenges, it's fine to wear the fit any day of the week so long as it's posted Friday.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka