• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge 2/11/11 - As decided by NOBD...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I am glad to see that you picked something way out of your comfort zone, NOBD.
plain.gif

When you win this one, what will be next...best use of suede shoes and scarf?
smile.gif

You red-lined it, Mike.

sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpeg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, come on man.....you are THE jeans and SC guy. You can't hoist this upon us and sit back and laugh at the trainwreck.
sneaky2.gif

In my dreams I'd see NOBD, Parker, and Singular do a fit battle- so I agree, NOBD, you have to be in on this one.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should talk about that with Holdfast, j_t...

But seriously, I'm sure many can come up with something nice. And it might attract some new posters.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I shall not be able to participate in the "trainwreck", since the wearing of jeans, even on a Friday, violates the office dress code (such as it is). That is a relief, I am sure, to all (including myself).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
And I shall not be able to participate in the "trainwreck", since the wearing of jeans, even on a Friday, violates the office dress code (such as it is). That is a relief, I am sure, to all (including myself).

+1 No jeans for me either..

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
+1 No jeans for me either..

There's always tomorrow...

Originally Posted by NOBD
Oh yes, I don't really care what day of the week you wear
it, just post it on Friday. (Unless of course Spoo overrules me,
which he's fully entitled to"”thus, up to Spoo.)

- NOBD

I do not over rule.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
In my dreams I'd see NOBD, Parker, and Singular do a fit battle- so I agree, NOBD, you have to be in on this one.

When I think "how do you do jeans and a SC well?" it is NOBD's fits that spring to mind. He is simply the best at it. No offense to HF, as he comes up with some worthy fits in the genre...but NOBD is the master of this game.

My biggest problem with jeans is that I can't find many of these great brands locally. And, for me, jeans must be tried on before they are purchased. I also am not patient with jeans. If they are tight or uncomfortable when I try them, chances are they will never be worn by me. I can't suffer through the process of breaking them in. I went through my closet today and looked at my collection of jeans...which is around 35 pair. Aside from a pair of 501s, I don't own a single pair of SF approved jeans...mostly because I have next to no Selvedge, and almost all are boot-cut and lighter washes...I do have some white/cream colored jeans in there though. I have a couple of SCs I think are short enough for this Challenge, and I am sure I can grab a pair of jeans locally that can past semi-muster for the Challenge. I need a new pair anyway.

Mike

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it helps to think of jeans as a process instead of an event.

In retrospect, as a MC type, I would find my best fitting pair of Incotex or Mabitex pants and then go looking for a pair of jeans with those measurements; there are just so many good pair of jeans out there. Then, like in bespoke, dial in the measurements and try not to let a pretty set of cloth draw your eye making you buy what you didn't intend. I think it is the SW&D folk who need to play the game of sizing down; I'm pretty sure their end game is a pair of jeans that one doesn't need a belt for, but I almost always am wearing a belt. If it doesn't feel great in a couple of wears, I kind of think they never will; on the other hand a relaxed fit pair of slim jeans is a reasonable look on MCers.

You may have to go three pair to find the one true pair for you, but one must suffer for love.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it helps to think of jeans as a process instead of an event.

In retrospect, as a MC type, I would find my best fitting pair of Incotex or Mabitex pants and then go looking for a pair of jeans with those measurements; there are just so many good pair of jeans out there. Then, like in bespoke, dial in the measurements and try not to let a pretty set of cloth draw your eye making you buy what you didn't intend. I think it is the SW&D folk who need to play the game of sizing down; I'm pretty sure their end game is a pair of jeans that one doesn't need a belt for, but I almost always am wearing a belt. If it doesn't feel great in a couple of wears, I kind of think they never will; on the other hand a relaxed fit pair of slim jeans is a reasonable look on MCers.

You may have to go three pair to find the one true pair for you, but one must suffer for love.

I had one great pair. A most SF non-approved pair of light wash, very soft, boot-cut Lucky's that were the most comfortable jeans I ever owned. I wore them to death...and the knee started to open up. I put them on one day, toe caught the split and ripped them wide open.

I hate belts. I almost never wear them...even with suits and SC/trouser combos. I like pants that don't require a belt to be held up. So, it can be a real fine line between perfect comfort, and too tight.

Mike

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it can be a real fine line between perfect comfort, and too tight.

Mike

Speaks true for many a thing, Michael.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one great pair. A most SF non-approved pair of light wash, very soft, boot-cut Lucky's that were the most comfortable jeans I ever owned. I wore them to death...and the knee started to open up. I put them on one day, toe caught the split and ripped them wide open.

I had a pair that had the knee rip open, and I just went ahead and got the knee repaired. They are just jeans, after all, repair and all.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaks true for many a thing, Michael.

lol8[1].gif

I had a pair that had the knee rip open, and I just went ahead and got the knee repaired. They are just jeans, after all, repair and all.

Yeah, I think I threw them away though. In retrospect...should have had them fixed and the leg tapered.
frown.gif

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest problem with jeans is that I can't find many of these great brands locally.
Levi's is the first and last word in jeans, Mike, and you have access.
teacha.gif
Now go forth and get denim.

Sears Stores
New Orleans Oakwood S/C
197-5 Westbank Expwy
Gretna, LA 70053

Sears Stores
Sears Clearview
4400 Veterans Mem BLVD
Metairie, LA 70006

Hometown Stores
New Orleans - Auth Hometown
7300 Read BLVD
New Orleans, LA 70127

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Levi's is the first and last word in jeans, Mike, and you have access.
teacha.gif
Now go forth and get denim.

I used to spend veritable **** tons of money (pre SF) on all manner of designer jeans. A brief budgetary crisis forced me to explore other options, and I (re)discovered Levi's. The 514 line is a perfect fit, and, though economic times have improved for the family sheep, I cannot will myself to pay more for denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads