• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday WAYWRN Challenge 11/12/10 - As decided by NewYorkRanger....

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jazz_suit.jpg

thekrays_2.jpg

cr_mega_207_ebay.JPG

goodwill-shopping-123ead1a32df3b79_large.jpg

Text from NYR:

Everyone looks good in a fresh new suit, especially if its custom made. But the real challenge for a lot of "real guys" (like me, one of Esquire's Best Dressed "Real" Men) is to do it on a budget. One way to do that is by buying vintage or second hand. So I propose that we do a "Vintage Challenge" where we dress up with at least one item that has either been:

1. Thrifted from a Goodwill/Vintage Store
2. Bought Second Hand from eBay/B&S or
3. Been passed down as an heirloom family item for generations. (Cause I'm sure the likes of Vox and Foo don't spend much time scouring the thrifts for bargains!)

The item can be an article of clothing in the attire or accessories built around the garments or both. But the winner should be able to use as many vintage items as possible without looking like he (or she-yea, I'm calling out the chicks who stopped posting) just stepped out of a time machine.

4 names are immediately in mind here
laugh.gif

Great pick Rob - and good luck to all!

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great idea, but I wish it was more than one item. I think it'll be pretty easy to wear one second-hand item.

lufty should win this challenge before it starts if we made it ALL vintage items.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
lufty should win this challenge before it starts if we made it ALL vintage items.
Tibor will do well with this challenge , too.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Great idea, but I wish it was more than one item. I think it'll be pretty easy to wear one second-hand item.

I'll let Rob field the technical specs, but Im pretty sure it can be ALL vintage items.. just at least one.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice idea. Won't be able to "compete".

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have PG's barely used Stefano Bemers and Spoo's nearly brand new Tom Ford chesterfield, you're all screwed (insert smug smiley here).

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
^ Wouldnt your dad jeans qualify for vintage?
lol8[1].gif

Hehe. I'm sure they would.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Vox in second hand suit?

I got it to examine and take apart in the jefferyd manner, but it turned out that it fit very well so I kept it.

Another guy with second hand stuff: RSS. I reposted a pic of it somewhere around here...Dege if I remember correctly.

- B

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do bargain outlets qualify, eg t-j/t-k(in the Uk) max, or is it strictly second hand?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think heirloom items should earn a few more points with the voters...something thats vintage (and not yours) but really means something special to you. I wish I was able to squeeze into some of my grandfathers' stuff, but so far its just his ID bracelet.

No thrifts in Holland NOBD? Get yourself a tie or something!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads