• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge"

Who Impressed you with their B&W Fits?

• Calypso

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Bienluienapris

• UprCrust

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • EliodA

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Coxsakie

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Roycru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GerryNelson

• SYCSYC

• InStitches

• Rais

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • EFV

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Cleav

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Eazye

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • SugarButch

• SnowmanXL

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • ThaiToast

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Auximenes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Koala-T

• Thrift Vader

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Xancatrius

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harder. I just went on my phone and altered a handful of pics to black and white and for the most part it takes away. Not because it highlights fit issues, but rather, if you are playing with color contrasts and subtle color and pattern matching, you are losing out when you go to black and white.

Just did the same exercise and I have to agree in most cases black and white results are less convincing. A few pics turned out better, but that was not so much a result of the fits but more of photos that featured high contrast lighting.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Couple of pictures taken this evening, i don't know which one could be the best entry...

This is the one that speaks to me. And given the authority to make a call on which best suits the challenge? This would be your entry.
A really good pic.
fing02[1].gif

So disappointed. I was expecting to see some Yakuza styles.

Black and white photos? pfft.
lol8[1].gif
While i can Dress to make people cross the street when i'm walking. I think some members might struggle with it.

This Challenge allows members to convey any style, or emotion they can come up with. it really is an open challenge.

Just did the same exercise and I have to agree in most cases black and white results are less convincing. A few pics turned out better, but that was not so much a result of the fits but more of photos that featured high contrast lighting.
Lighting, fit and contrast. For my pic from last week, i used this: https://pixlr.com/editor/
take a series of pictures, edit them until one stands out as the best you got that day.

@Claghorn i like the the way your fit shows the comfort which is often overshadowed by color choices.
@in stitches really? you want me to play?
biggrin.gif

Ok, i will. but it is going to be very candid. and have an eye watering depth of atmosphere.
wink.gif

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having played in the Friday Challenges for a few weeks, I thought that I'd give it a whirl. As much as I am firmly in the camp of "colore", in the conflict between "colore" vs. "disegno", here's my attempt at "disegno" without color.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Couple of pictures taken this evening, i don't know which one could be the best entry... The first one is more artistic, with cinema reference The other one is more traditional, it's about the outfit. (this is my entry)
Easily the 2nd one....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, this black and white challenge allows the opportunity to do something "out of the box."

Just taking the usual pose/photo and converting to b&w doesn't really do it. It can look washed out and faded.
Pose in a different setting. Use a different backdrop. Etc. That is how b&w photos are enhanced.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Great editor, thanks for the link!

^^^ THIS. Is what i am looking for. Absolutely stunning.

IMO, this black and white challenge allows the opportunity to do something "out of the box."

Just taking the usual pose/photo and converting to b&w doesn't really do it. It can look washed out and faded.
Pose in a different setting. Use a different backdrop. Etc. That is how b&w photos are enhanced.
get out there. and have some fun with it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads