• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge : Your favorite Oxford shirt

Inkss

Reaction score
Powder blue Sears & Roebuck OCBD. Probably my most comfortable shirt.
IMAG0006.jpg

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite oxford shirt:
tumblr_pyu1wnGr231s5fve2o2_540.jpg

I got this shirt secondhand and maybe that's why it felt so comfortable the moment I put it on. When I can't think of what to wear, this is the shirt that I reach for. I think the stripes add a little bit of interest compared to a plain fabric (although I have a few of those too). If I had to pick one of my oxford shirts, this would be the one. It goes with everything I have and feels very comfortable - what more could I ask for?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"there is the type who does alter his way of life, at least externally, and who by means of State scholarships succeeds in climbing into the middle class.
[...]
For it is not easy to crash your way into the literary intelligentsia if you happen to be a decent human being. The modern English literary world, at any rate the high-brow section of it, is a sort of poisonous jungle where only weeds can flourish. [...T]o be a highbrow, with a footing in the snootier magazines, means delivering yourself over to horrible campaigns of wire-pulling and backstairs-crawling. In the highbrow world you ‘get on’, if you ‘get on’ at all, not so much by your literary ability as by being the life and soul of cocktail parties and kissing the bums of verminous little lions. This, then, is the world that most readily opens its doors to the proletarian who is climbing out of his own class.
The ‘clever’ boy of a working-class family, the sort of boy who wins scholarships and is obviously not fitted for a life of manual labour, may find other ways of rising into the class above [...] but the literary way is by far the most usual. Literary London now teems with young men who are of proletarian origin and have been educated by means of scholarships. Many of them are very disagreeable people, quite unrepresentative of their class, and it is most unfortunate that when a person of bourgeois origin does succeed in meeting a proletarian face to face on equal terms, this is the type he most commonly meets. For the result is to drive the bourgeois, who has idealised the proletariat so long as he knew nothing about them, back into frenzies of snobbishness." - George Orwell
hmm, what does this mean?

calling patrick bourgie scum?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspiration:

and

(source)

Well, Lagerfeld is not wearing an Oxford shirt, but Frederick Hughes is. Both Bacon and Lagerfeld found inspiration and love in a fragile, tempestuous lover who died before their eyes, if in rather different ways. Both were clearly affected - how many of you recognised Karl? The way Bacon dressed thereafter (shown here) also reflects this, whilst continuing to embody the relaxed formalism of "the London scene". Hughes in contrast would not be out of place at a bank today (well, except the OCBD; although I guess with the new smart casual dress codes...); and yet here he was with the wild ones.

If Clouseau keeps this open long enough I might be able to slip in an entry. No chance til at least next week I'm afraid monsieur l'inspecteur.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last legend for the road and maybe l'inspecteur's memories:

quite different from his usual appearance!

“Vous avez, lui dit-il, au moins une qualité d'un bon matelot : la patience"

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Excellent pictures @am55 !
Entries until the 12th.

To those of you who posted several pictures, i will choose only one for the voting thread (usually a full-length portrait - if there is one)

Greg.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My favourite oxford shirt:
tumblr_pyu1wnGr231s5fve2o2_540.jpg

I got this shirt secondhand and maybe that's why it felt so comfortable the moment I put it on. When I can't think of what to wear, this is the shirt that I reach for. I think the stripes add a little bit of interest compared to a plain fabric (although I have a few of those too). If I had to pick one of my oxford shirts, this would be the one. It goes with everything I have and feels very comfortable - what more could I ask for?
Which brand is it Gerry ?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking part is all that counts, here's a sliver of my favourite OCBD by Polo.

8ee74187-46f2-45b8-ad2e-90fc90d02d4d-jpeg.1253165

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
I only own a couple Oxfords, but this one from Spier&Mackay is probably my favorite. It's called a light weight Oxford. Great for warmer weather, but it's also doing well for fall so far. Light pink is also a great shirt color, and highly versatile.

Attachments

• 20191005_122142.jpg
    20191005_122142.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20191005_122142.jpg
    20191005_122142.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 63

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads