• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge : The Blouson (or 'Harrington')

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What city was he in?
And why did he stop posting pics, seems he was very popular?
I have been in touch with Jerrod, he seems to be a very nice guy, he told me he lived in Springfield, but now he lives in Columbus, Ohio.
That is now being put right !

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I have been in touch with Jerrod, he seems to be a very nice guy, he told me he lived in Springfield, but now he lives in Columbus, Ohio.
That is now being put right !

I was thinking of Springfield out of the Simpsons at first, keep forgetting its a real place.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
24.jpeg

Daniel-Craig-Harrington.jpg

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
i do like the idea of suede and leather harringtons, would have it a bit baggier then that tho

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a leather Harrington in the O’Connell’s shop recently that looked very tasty but at a vast price.

I gave some thought to this challenge. I see the Harrington as a casual jacket and attempts to dress it up too much - brimmed hat, tie, wool worsted or flannel strides - look incongruent to me.

I almost always wear mine with polo shirt, jeans and trainers. But the idea of the Friday challenge IMO can be to challenge yourself to come up with a different outfit than you’d normally wear. I sensed a bit of an anti-jeans undercurrent in some of the comments and I stated on my blog I’m getting bored with jeans and have tried to wear them less in recent months, so I tried a non jeans outfit last week with my blue FP Harrington:

26584A06-5036-4660-A706-18DEBAFE95CC.jpeg

... which I deem to be a failure. Just didn’t feel comfortable in this outfit at all. (Randolph Engineering aviator shares, Lean Garments OCBD popover, houndstooth sta pressts and black Clark’s dessies). So much for challenging myself. I’m not sure if it’s just because it’s an unfamiliar combination, or I felt the incongruence of a slightly more formal shirt, strides and shoes or what.

This picture below with the red Harrington was taken a while ago but due to a cold snap I had occasion to wear the same threads again recently and this will be my entry:

76A74860-D505-451E-BB14-C1D89D669FC7.jpeg

In the above pic - red Wayfarers, Fred Perry Reissue MiE jacket, FP polo, Levi’s selvedge
and adidas Gazelles OGs.

Edit - for the sake of comparison and to add to the formality debate, here’s a pic of me from a few years ago wearing the same blue FP Harrington but with more familiar Lacoste polo shirt, Levi’s 501s and the same black dessies:

D6204B78-E7AC-41F9-B4CE-2327B4C4C027.jpeg

I like these FP Harringtons and if you get them on sale you can get a bargain as opposed to the overpriced Baracutas. The blue one has raglan sleeves, all cotton, PoW check lining set back from the zip, made in China IIRC. The red one has set in sleeves, Poly cotton, made in England, Royal stewart lining set back from the zip. In both cases they have umbrella vents and fit slim but the sleeves are too long!

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is Springfield, Missouri.
He didn't say why he stopped, just that it wasn't his 'official retirement'. But the blog is 'closed' you can't have access to the archives from the homepage.
His Instagram is still active though (oxfordclothbuttondown), but it misses the personal narrative that made the charm of his blog.
It's frustrating not being able to access the blog.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a leather Harrington in the O’Connell’s whole recently that looked tasty but at a vast price.

I gave some thought to this challenge. I see the Harrington as a casual jacket and attempts to dress it up too much - brimmed hat, tie, wool worsted or flannel strides - look incongruent to me.

I almost always wear mine with jeans and trainers. But the idea of the Friday challenge IMO can be to challenge yourself to come up with a different outfit than you’d normally wear. I senses a bit of an anti-jeans undercurrent in some of the comments so I recently tried a non jeans outfit with my blue FP Harrington:

Which I deem to be a failure. Just didn’t feel comfortable in this outfit at all. (OCBD popover and houndstooth). So much for challenging myself. This picture with the red Harrington was taken a while ago but due to a cold snap I had occasion to wear the same threads again recently and this will be my entry:

View attachment 1291607 View attachment 1291608
Blue photo beats the red photo for me.

‘Due to a cold snap’ is a nice wind up for those of us in colder climes.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue photo beats the red photo for me.

‘Due to a cold snap’ is a nice wind up for those of us in colder climes.

It’s a fool’s errand trying to second guess the tastes and voting patterns of the SF members!

A cold snap here is highs in the mid sixties (Fahrenheit) and lows in the mid fifties. You always know when the temps are dropping as the alligators start appearing to sunbathe on the opposite shore of the pond!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
To make things clear, i just received a PM from @Thin White Duke saying that he decided that his entry will finally be the first picture with the blue Harrington.
The right decision IMO as i think it is one of the best entries.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
THE ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED

THE POLL IS UP:

Last edited:

LuxGentleman

Reaction score
Take a look at my post on new arrivals BARACUTA
and discover the models
G9 and G10 of the iconic Hollywood jacket.

discover the dedicated section on Luxgentleman.com

We ship worldwide ✈

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads