• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge - The Album Cover

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge music fan and have been for as long as I can remember. After being a member of SF for some years now I have noticed that there are plenty of other music enthusiasts here. That gave me the idea to do a Friday Challenge based on album covers. I don't know if this has been done before, but if it has it must have been a long time ago.

I am not a nostalgic type of person and I've come to terms with the fact that, notwithstanding the recent upsurge in LP sales, the future of recorded music is digital. But it is a little sad that it has slowly led to the demise of the album cover. Cover art took a hit already when CDs were introduced, but it looks like digital music may finally kill the art completely.

I suspect that there are many of us, even people who are not necessarily great music fans, who have strong feelings about certain album covers. Especially the covers of those first favourites tend to stick in the mind for the rest of your life.

Therefore the challenge is to post a fit inspired by an album cover. Please post not only your fit, but also the album cover that inspired it. The way I see it this challenge can be approached in three different ways:
  1. You simply copy a fit from an album cover.
  2. You don't copy a specific fit, but you copy a style. It should look like you could blend in as the 6th member of Duran Duran, Karajan's solo pianist or one of the less well-known members of Wu-Tang.
  3. You post a fit that is inspired by a certain album in a more general way. Maybe it triggers a memory of a concert, clubbing to that particular music, meeting an artist etc. This option gives you a little more leeway to make it easier, but if you choose this alternative you should also write a few words on what the connection to the album is.

All fits are welcome, both CM and SWD. I will not impose any restrictions. The challenge will run until Sunday 21st October at 4pm CET.

Below I've posted a number of covers as inspiration. I hope they can give you some ideas.
0f94d0add0a23820f1b6d24867a52ed6.jpg
41ZmnzyCV6L.jpg
71nYpz++VCL._SL1400_.jpg
71p3vFA8IlL._SL1400_.jpg
71Rl5cMiiRL._SL1200_.jpg
81nWSzOu4OL._SL1300_.jpg
81RF6Ev779L._SL1400_.jpg
81X+bPZLS5L._SL1414_.jpg
710DDUGl6FL._SL1234_.jpg
818AMGXjfOL._SL1500_.jpg
9178-Ff7hGL._SL1500_.jpg
drake-comeback-season1.jpg
MI0003474576.jpg
R-1671123-1472749504-3702.jpeg.jpg
Specials.jpg
The-Music-Of-Burt-Bacharach-cover.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DiplomaticTies could I tempt you into putting some of the images in a spoiler? Just makes it way easier to scroll through the thread :hide:

I purposely choose low-res pictures so the page would still load without problems. But I do see the point, I'll see what I can do.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress nothing like the albums I listen to. This will be hard

Sure, it's not an easy challenge. But the third option in my intro gives some flexibility in the interpretation. Hopefully that's helpful.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Karajan... That opens an entire world of fun options...

iu

MI0001066230.jpg

images

iu

OK maybe not the last one :p

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
i quite enjoyed scrolling down. LL cool j was a surprise.

random mix. and the possibilities. . . Bowie,Elton,Bon Jovi. .

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Karajan... That opens an entire world of fun options...

iu

MI0001066230.jpg

images

iu

OK maybe not the last one :p

Michelangeli was a great dresser. But the best pictures are unfortunately not covers. But chosing a classical or jazz artist may make it a little easier, especially for those of us who come mainly from the CM side of SF.
7dc39197f93320cf683b34dc3d90e91c.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i quite enjoyed scrolling down. LL cool j was a surprise.

random mix. and the possibilities. . . Bowie,Elton,Bon Jovi. .

I should have a denim Kangol bucket hat somewhere. Not sure where it is though...

I actually met LL Cool J during my years in the record business. Must have been around 91-92. Really nice guy. Huge star at the time of course, but still fairly normal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads