• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE OCTOBER 9TH - THE JACKET (OR COAT) CHALLENGE

Who did it best?

• JHT652

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Coxsackie (you be the judge if this is outerwear)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • bienluienapris

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Crat

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • jcmeyer

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • heldentenor

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • SYCSYC

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • EFV

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • FlyingMonkey

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Shen

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Roycru (added, because I've never read a Roycru post I didn't like)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RoSaCe

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • DonCologne

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Inspired by this article, that I contributed to recently, I thought a jacket/coat challenge would be appropriate for the season. It seems like autumn has hit most of the western world, and on the other side of the equator I see guys like Gerry Nelson donning jackets, so I guess it's pretty appropriate there as well. If you're one of the lucky bastards who live in a place that's more or less always hot, I guess a linen jacket can work(?). The rules: - Outfit has to be worn this week. - You have to wear some sort of outerwear, be it a jacket or a coat. - It has to be somewhat in the parameters of CM, i.e. has to be at least postable in the CM casual WAYWRN thread. - Has to be posted before Saturday evening Swedish time (UTC).
Entries:
A cool spring day:
Cotton jacket from Brunello Cucinelli. Tie and square a little underexposed in the above shot, so here they are for reference:
LL
My entry to this challenge with a quilted jacket, very classic for autumn, but it's not so usual to find one in corduroy, that's really perfect for the season :
Today
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Still too warm and too not-at-all damp to wear the extra layer, but I had been curious what this field jacket would look like over a more traditional get-up anyway. Pics came out a bit blurry, sooooo... heartfelt apology.
X-post WAYWRN. As stated there, the coat and scarf are displayed for demonstration purposes only, as it will be 70F/21C in NYC by the afternoon. The hat will more than enough insulation for the morning commute.
Still a bit warm to debut this, but what the hell:
@heldentenor this coat is pure awesomeness. Details please? I don't think I stand any chance this week with such amazing entries, but anyway here is the Trench Coat I wear with a wooly uniform today. Weather is still very sweet in Paris (around 18°c).
I've been dressing very CM casual lately. So this is what I can enter this week:
I wasn't intending to enter this week (hence no decent pictures), but it happened to be wet autumn day and this is what I am was wearing when I came into work. The coat is in ventile from Nigel Cabourn, scarf is Dunhill, jacket is bespoke and the shirt is a BB Black Fleece tattersall - just for @Roycru , who I remember saying that he couldn't believe people would buy or wear BBBF ;) - unseen trousers are olive military serge from Rugged Museum in Tokyo, worn with dark brown dainite-soled Carmina brogue boots.
Whilst on the subject of fishing, the man who fishes the pond scum out of the Lily Pond is behind me fishing out the pond scum. If anyone is wondering why there weren't any entries from anywhere around here, it's been between 90F and 110F here all week. Only the man who fishes out the pond scum and I have, like mad dogs and Englishmen, gone out in the midday sun. (The closest thing to anyone wearing outerwear in this picture are the waders that the man in the Lily Pond is wearing.)
Many wonderful entrances, so mine will be just for the number

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're off to an awesome start!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JHT652 straight in with a strong entry, beautifully photographed.

So do I understand correctly, that the point of this challenge is to post a outfit which showcases an exceptionally fine jacket, of somewhat classic style, beautifully and coherently matched with the other elements of the fit?

That's a great idea. I will see what I can come up with.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Right on the money. Next time (if I'll ever get to host one of these again) I'll let you write the OP.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
**** all y'all. Outerwear weather doesn't start for another three months here. Y'all all asshats.

(But I'm very much looking forward to the entries)

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I chuckled.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** all y'all. Outerwear weather doesn't start for another three months here. Y'all all asshats.

(But I'm very much looking forward to the entries)

What is outerwear weather?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is outerwear weather?

In your part of the world, I guess swimming trunks or bikinis would qualify. Here in Sweden, it's the kind of weather we have all year round.

Last edited:

JHT652

Reaction score
@JHT652 straight in with a strong entry, beautifully photographed.

So do I understand correctly, that the point of this challenge is to post a outfit which showcases an exceptionally fine jacket, of somewhat classic style, beautifully and coherently matched with the other elements of the fit?

That's a great idea. I will see what I can come up with.

Thanks Cox. Just photographed using the self timer on the iPad Air :)

Edit: Then cropped & a black vignette added in Photoshop Express

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads