1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Friday Challenge: Menswear Uniform 2/15/19

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Feb 6, 2019.

1. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

@CM, I don't disagree with your take, particularly the effects of the new culture which is highly socialized in online environments.

My own beliefs are that sincerity and directness were more prevalent in the past because most important relationships that people held were highly personal, where trust was key. Friendships and business relationships were largely conducted within a physical community, which would not function well without such clear, direct communication.

An online world is inherently much more anonymous, precluding the kind of trust and relationships that require a personal knowledge of one another. Therefore, not only does sincerity have no value, it is seen as pointless or even foolish.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

I think there's something to that but I'd also connect the limitations of communication through writing to your ideas. Relative anonymity has to be a big part of things but so does the fact that writing is only ever a pale approximation of face to face communication. Exchanging knowledge has, for most of human history, been not just a process of exchanging words, but also exchanging gestures, postures, expressions, and a whole slew of other non verbal queues. This doesn't translate well to writing, especially among people who have never met IRL. That partially explains the rise of emojis. Emojis are, in part, an attempt to bridge the chasm between written communication and the expressions and postures inherent on face to face communication.

3. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

Agreed.

Further, I wonder whether the limitations inherent in these attempts to humanize decidedly dehumanized mediums or modes of communication will eventually re-frame human socialization altogether. Will shrugs and smiles themselves become as archaic as sincerity, and dropped not only from online discourse but also in real life?

4. Caustic Man

I doubt it. I see more of a chance of backlash than of continual, straight line, development into some extreme form of alienated communication. Maybe it will look kind of like what happened the last time we saw a backlash against high technology, which was in the 1960s. Young people have a tendency to recognize the excesses of their parents and when the current generation's kids get old enough to do something about it, I believe they will.

5. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Distinguished Member

My two-year-old grabbed my phone recently and said "no phone, daddy, I want to play." I about cried. I mean, I finished my Instagram post first, but then we played.

6. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

I believe the correct reaction would have been to just hand the kid an iPad.

7. useless_username

useless_username Senior Member

Have you ever considered the possibility the rest of the world perceives them as such, because that's precisely how they are?

8. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

:deadhorse:

Maybe I should edit the challenge. Who can stay focused on the task at hand the longest?

That’s indirect talk for “Let’s get back to clothing.” Thanks. :fonz:

9. Caustic Man

It's already run its course. I wouldn't worry about it. Things always get back on track.

10. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Would you rather be Curt or Caustic?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

11. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

I make good use of the ignore button when he does that.

12. Zerase

Zerase Senior Member

Came here to see som security guard fits. Read a ton of nonsense and pseudo intellectual nonsensical stuff. More pics please, less dabble please.

13. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

As requested, more pics, less babble . . .

IMG_9237.JPG IMG_9239.JPG

14. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Happy Friday!

DSCF2490.jpg

15. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member