1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Friday Challenge: Menswear Uniform 2/15/19

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

AAS, I've thought about whether this is primarily an online phenomenon or not. And yes, I think it is mostly online. But I don't think everyone is looking for an out. I don't think I am. I try to be as clear and understandable as I can while at the same time being as nuanced as necessary. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't, but I don't think I try to be purposefully vague.

2. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Distinguished Member

It's just how I write. And here I thought I was unique.

3. Caustic Man

No, it's definitely a generational thing. I've noticed it in my students' writing quite a lot and it actually ends up being a detriment to them because their arguments end up being dependent on ill defined imagery rather than on agreed upon terms and meanings. And there is a certain fear of making strong, declarative, statements that informs those tendencies. I suspect it's because they haven't quite found their voices yet. They are still learning and absorbing things so they, rightly, assume that they don't know enough to play, on even footing, a rather rough game.

4. Eli Curt

When I was in college, before I decided to pursue a degree in English, I remember we would revert to padding sentences with unnecessary words to hit certain word/page requirements. But that wouldn't prove anything regarding our generation because presumably, that's been happening for generations.

5. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

Not so much on SF thiouhg... :)
    I wonder if that 'fear of clear statement' is also reflected in the ultra annoying use of the 'declarative interrogative' (you know? when someone says something? but the intonation is like that of a question?)

ON THREAD. I think this 'challenge' shows how execution makes a big difference in style... because NONE of the posters look remotely like a private security guard...

6. Caustic Man

Eli, that’s a good point but I don’t think word padding is exactly what I’m getting at. I’m talking about a specific way of expressing oneself through writing that I suspect is deeply influenced by social media and the internet. But these are all guesses based on observation.

7. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

You really should start up a poetry forum so we can be spared this sort of thing in a thread like this.

8. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

I would guess it’s a diplomacy thing. Very direct speech is often seen as too aggressive among English speakers, perhaps a bit too, shall we say, caustic? I teach English to Germans, and though they value directness, the rest of the world often just perceives them as curt, blunt and rude.

His head is turned to the side in that photo, so being able to see the frames past the side of his head is meaningless. @Caustic Man ’s glasses (and style in general) are spot on. You’d do well to emulate him a bit more.

9. Eli Curt

I wore a blue shirt. It seems others are veering from white too, so I hope this still counts. 20190207_111050-01.jpeg 20190207_122754-01.jpeg 20190207_122834-01.jpeg 20190207_123248-01.jpeg 20190207_130659-01.jpeg

10. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

I think I understand what you're saying here--it is a similar thing to being 'passive aggressive', in that it is an approach to being confrontational while still providing yourself cover through the ambiguity of metaphor or other devices. It is, of course, weak.

This is definitely something I have noticed more in recent years, but owing to what--who knows?

11. Caustic Man

This is going to sound weird, and I won't take up too much space going off topic about it, but I think it's connected to the rise of absurdist humor which is, according to some, a unique 21st century movement in art. It is predicated on a re-evaluation of narrative story telling that seeks to deconstruct narrative itself into a series of absurd moments rather than something akin to a coherent story. Family Guy is the mass market version, but the more avant garde version would be something like this short film entitled "going to the store."

It seems to me that this tendency is something more than just an artistic movement, though, and that it embodies itself as an embrace of that passive aggressiveness that you mentioned which is, in this incarnation, a critique of rational inquiry and the New Sincerity. By the by, I'm all about the New Sincerity so it's not surprising that I see little value in absurdism.

12. Caustic Man

One more thing, absurdism is directly a result of the alienation and dystopian results of social media and the second wave of communications technologies. So, in a certain sense, it shares a coherent background with Dadaism and prefigured the rise of Neo-Dadaism. That's what I mean when I say it is deeply connected to social media and the internet. If you look at the comments section under the movies I posted above you see quite a lot of people interpreting it as some kind of representation of the archetypal "awkward guy." That is, someone who desperately wants to be normal but can never seem to achieve it. That's the result of the failed socialization and fundamental alienation that haunts the lives of so many young people who grow up in online worlds.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

13. feelufo

feelufo Well-Known Member

A comment about being indirect derailed this thread into a blog post.

Is An Acute Style's crotch part of the challenge?

14. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

This all sounds like a great topic for a new thread.

:fu:

15. Eli Curt

Am I old if I completely missed the point of this video?