• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge June 2019 : MILITARY INSPIRED

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really don' want to derail the thread but a couple family photos certainly within the genre some people may find interesting. the first is a UPI photo taken (I believe) on Operation Lam Son 719. The anglo gentleman in front is Joe Galloway, well known Vietnam correspondent, co-author of the book We Were Soldiers Once and the only civilian journalist of the war to receive a combat decoration from the US Army. The skinny legged hippie behind him is my brother Ken, Joes' co- worker in the Saigon office of UPI.

Ken somewhere in South Vietnam sometime in the early 70s

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great challenge idea @Clouseau

I have a few vintage military pieces I've collected over the years; this coat is probably my favourite of the lot. It was made in the 60's and I got it brand new for $5 off eBay. It's water-resistant, vented, has a belt and two slits behind the hand pockets for accessing a holster. I've paired it with a modern surplus tank top and Nike's first generation of SFB, which are synthetic, lightweight and quick dry for jungle use. The ROSEN-X pieces are nylon spandex so they have a lot of stretch to them as well as some weather-resistance.

1964 Australian Defence Force (ADF) Nylon Rain Coat
ADF Cotton Tank Top
ROSEN-X Minerva Shacket and Pants
Nike - SFB Gen 1.

milchallenge.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You think @Rais killed it?
Prove you're wrong with your entry !
Keep them comin' !

Madrilene

Reaction score
hello everyone
it's a great idea this challenge
first excuse my english it is not my native langage
secondly i'm a huge fan of military vintage clothes and shoes (my latest bought a pair of 1940 kind of ranger : they are still in the US *)

TO ANSWER to Clouseau : This one (the wool coat) is my outfit for the entry

Here is my latest coat : an heavy grey wool hungarian one very well cut (and that wil probably last my life long))
militarybulgarian...antsalon-562f927.jpg

militarybulgarian...salonweb-562f929.jpg

I like often to mix the codes (for example a military "camouflage" vest with a pink pair of pants (i have to find the time to make picture))

Here police pants, with low army boots and civilian leather jacket but in the spirit of military one

blousonpolicepantWEB1.jpg blousonpantpoliceWEB3.jpg
to be followed

* here is a picture :
militarybootsWWII3.jpg

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Madrilene you will have to precise which outfit is your entry. Only one (i like the Hungarian coat, just saying).

For those of you who posted several pictures of the same outfit, i will choose only one picture for the summary post of the voting thread.

Last edited:

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll submit a fit, as this challenge is right up my alley. I’m a very small time collector of vintage militaria and I integrate a lot of military clothing into my wardrobe year-round. It’s often very well-made (better than most modern clothing manufacturers) and quite versatile.
Here, I’m wearing an OG-107 fatigue top, made of cotton sateen from 1968. It’s actually great for sun protection in hot weather.
Also wearing a “5 color” desert patterned boonie hat that is another very versatile piece. Can be worn so many different ways that it really lends itself well to wear outside of a military context. I paired these pieces with a vintage band shirt, Levi’s 501’s and some plain PF Flyer sneakers.

Attachments

• B94B4102-A2DF-496C-B558-EE3668F53DB6.jpeg
    B94B4102-A2DF-496C-B558-EE3668F53DB6.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 47

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Not a submission, but military inspired clothing finds its way into my fits. Almost every day.
-Rainy day on the way to work.
DSC_1517.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads