• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge June 2019 : MILITARY INSPIRED

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An easy theme (especially in Europe or the US and given the long running time of the challenge) that hasn't been mentioned yet is the equestrian one. Horses have been key to all wars in human history since at least the Sumerians, and including very recent occurrences:

1561182149231.png

and including this living legend who was denied a shot at UBL by upstairs (before 9/11, obviously), I think it's him anyway, or at least his album:

(source - plenty more inspiration, albeit more SW&D)

If one is dressed to ride as a civilian, a good chunk of the outfit should be relatively close to the military versions, especially if you take the Green Beret interpretation of grooming standards. So I expect some participation from members in the Southern States in particular with its strong riding tradition... ;)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for a more SF-friendly version, "Mad Mike" Hoare wearing the Drake S/S 2019 short sleeve open neck shirt, a cravat (as seen at Pitti this week), very high waisted pants with matching belt, and (not shown) presumably some Seattle- or Portland-approved boots with a stacked leather heel and appropriate amount of patina. There is even a nod to the Watch Thread and its love of the Journe and Cartier Monopoussoirs.

@Clouseau may object that when this photo was taken, it is likely Hoare was not technically "military".

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear military inspired since 12 years now, but I didn't see any military inspired garment in this thread, maybe just only the double breasted trench in the 1st post. Military style in clothing is highly connected with music, or better say it's a lifestyle. You can wear it well if you're a true military elegant calm soul.
Black-Military-Jacket-Goth-Steampunk-Vintage-Pea-Coat-Front-Model-640x800.jpg

71NQKzGPeZL._UX522_.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I wear military inspired since 12 years now, but I didn't see any military inspired garment in this thread, maybe just only the double breasted trench in the 1st post. Military style in clothing is highly connected with music, or better say it's a lifestyle. You can wear it well if you're a true military elegant calm soul.

71NQKzGPeZL._UX522_.jpg

I have to disagree, i can't speak for others (but they DO wear military inspired garments - take a closer look), but on my entry i wear Aviator Ray Ban, Uniqlo U fatigue jacket (inspired from the Type III US Army Jungle Jacket also known as Jungle Fatigue), Fatigue army pants (a slimmer take by the Japanese brand Back Number), and Adidas GAT (German Army Trainers).
They seem to be all 'Military Inspired' clothing, as they are 'takes' on original stuff.
Cheers !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

71NQKzGPeZL._UX522_.jpg
PS: Please confirm me (by PM or here) if it's you on the first picture and if it is an entry (or not).
Without reply from you, i won't consider it as a valid entry.

basstoyourface

Reaction score
Greetings folks. Some vintage CF Military drill boots I cleaned up and decided to pair with Jeans.

Yay, my first post. Honoured to be among some descendants of our military's finest!

Humbly submitted.

20190610_121519.jpg
20190610_121538.jpg
20190610_121457.jpg
20190610_121516.jpg
20190610_121550.jpg

Attachments

• 20190610_121532.jpg
    20190610_121532.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 26

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@basstoyourface those boots are badass, but as usual with a challenge here we have to see your outfit. The boots pic could be complementary but are not enough i am afraid...
Post a picture of the rest of the 'fit' !

basstoyourface

Reaction score
@basstoyourface those boots are badass, but as usual with a challenge here we have to see your outfit. The boots pic could be complementary but are not enough i am afraid...
Post a picture of the rest of the 'fit' !
Thank you. I was thinking if it was just enough with the Jeans. The boots are the only military part of the outfit.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thank you. I was thinking if it was just enough with the Jeans. The boots are the only military part of the outfit.
It is enough indeed - only one military style item needed- but this is not a 'boots Friday Challenge'. We need to see the whole outfit. But as usual here, you don't have to show your face if you don't want to.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not an entry, but I'll still add this pic with my dad on the far right in sunglasses with cigarette. Taken early 1968 somewhere around Khe Sahn.

View attachment 1197651

Awesome picture ! A lot of type 3 Jungle Jackets in sight… In which army corp was your father ? I've red than the camo Jungle jackets were (at first) only for elite corps (Marines, Rangers, Seals).

More inspiration
Ethan Wong.jpg

Styleforumee Ethan Wong in a vintage Type 3 Jungle fatigue jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads