1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FRIDAY CHALLENGE - JULY 29, 2016 - LOCAL CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RoSaCe, Jul 26, 2016.

Who rocked the show?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2016.
  1. Sycsyc

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Claghorn

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Claghorn's Derek's cowboy

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Prince of Paisley

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Diplomatic tie

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Mr Knightley

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RoSaCe

RoSaCe Senior Member

Hi all,

Eventhough we're all living in a globalized world, especially in our menswear universe, where trends are dictated by tumblr and instagram. And with the Pitti supremacy from Paris to Sydney, via London, NYC or Shangai, many gentlemen look as if they were all italian, if not Napolitan

However, we may all have in our homeland, the place we're living in, or the place we're from, this specific tailor making this particular coat, which is only made in this place, this particular shoemaker, making shoes you can not find elsewhere, or this simple hatmaker making hat in his backyard you want to talk us about.

This challenge will give you the opportunity to highlight a very local craftsman by wearing his production. It has to fit with a classic menswear outfit, and a little explanation about the piece you would have chosen will be appreciated. We'd love to know more about unknown local artisans

Beware it has to be from your country, or the place you're living in

Polls will begin on saturday july, 30th and will end on monday, august, 1st

Some pieces of inspiration

[​IMG]
    a very typical parisian lapel
    [​IMG]
    Scottish ghillies shoes
    [​IMG]
    spanish teba coat
    [​IMG]
    very specific wax bespoke dinner jacket, made by the french - togolese tailor Nefer.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

2. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior Member

I'm in, I have the luck to not be only Swiss, because otherwise, it would be impossible.

3. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

4. RoSaCe

RoSaCe Senior Member

Come on @bienluienapris , I've heard that in Switzerland, some local craftsmen were able to make some kind of watches ... Maybe you've heard about that? ;)

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

You mean like Lorex?

6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

"n Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

7. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior Member

There is also little craftmen who produce beautiful watches, I have meet some, but that's definitely too pricey for me.

8. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior Member

Nice challenge idea!

I happen to wear this tie from parisian ties and shirts maker Howard's today.
    I have bought a lot of thing from his shop recently.

Frederic Costa, founder of the brand , was at age 16, a mechanic at BMW and a gifted one as he became best worker of Paris area. The story says he decided to make a career as a tiemaker because he was unsatisfied by the tie he wore during a meeting at Ferrari. He opened in 1997, at the age of 20 his first store in Paris.

If you'd like to know more and see his products: http://www.howards.fr/fr/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

9. RoSaCe

RoSaCe Senior Member

thx @SYCSYC ! Could you tell us more about Howard's, the philosophy of its founder, where does he product his shirt and ties? It would be much appreciated

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

I think I only have shoes made in Mexico and leather jackets. Oh, and a shirt but I don't use it a lot. :(

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

12. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior Member

I have some ties from Howard's that I like a lot, a few ps as well. Haven't tried their shirts yet though.

13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

This challenge should be a piece of cake for someone from America or England.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Indeed. [​IMG]

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

My official entry: A Harris Tweed briefcase handmade by my good friend, Younghyun Kim. I met Younghyun at a friend's restaurant in Seoul. My friend, Taehwan, was hosting an exhibition of several MFA students from several disciplines. As a result of that encounter, I became her first customer. She allowed me a lot of input into the design of the bag; because of my input, the design was awful. We both learned an important lesson: let the artist/craftperson make most of the decisions. My second commission from her is my Harris Tweed briefcase, seen here. She made about ten of these, of which mine was the prototype. Since it was the prototype, she did not charge me (though I did try to pay). The Harris Tweed briefcases sold very quickly. The majority of her work is very avante garde women's handbags, but at my urging, she also occasionally makes slightly more traditional men's briefcases. She's noticed that these tend to sell more quickly. My third bag (pictured in the spoiler) is also a prototype. This has become somewhat of a tradition now for her: every other year, she makes me a bag as a prototype for a series of briefcases (and these limited runs are named after me). Since my first commission from her, she has completed her MFA (her BFA was in metalwork, MFA in leatherwork) and has had group exhibitions in Seoul and Hong Kong and solo exhibitions of her work in Seoul and Tokyo (which included a series of pictures of me with her bags, see blurrily in spoiler). In addition, last year she was awarded a government grant for the arts which also came with exclusive studio space and was profiled in two different trade magazines (pictured in spoiler). My wife and my mother have matching bags from her, given as gifts along with my most recent briefcase (also pictured in the spoiler). In addition, my mother has purchased one of her more unusual bags (no picture, unfortunately). [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016