1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

FRIDAY CHALLENGE Jan 24, 2014: NORTHERN LIGHTS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pingson, Jan 22, 2014.

Who did it best?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2014.
  1. John Doe

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Anden

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. DonCologne

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. SeaJen

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  5. jungleroller

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Off My Rack

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Cleav

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. alessandromo

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. clarinetplayer

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. Claghorn

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. Pingson

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  12. upr_crust

11 vote(s)
    9.7%
  13. stylesbitchly

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  14. in stitches

31 vote(s)
    27.4%
  15. StanleyVanBuren

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  16. GMMcL

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. oldog/oltrix

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  18. Cotton Dockers

14 vote(s)
    12.4%
  19. Holdfast

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  20. Academic2

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  21. An Acute Style

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  22. kulata

14 vote(s)
    12.4%
  23. black_umbrella

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  24. quasi-lurker

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  25. sansimeon

14 vote(s)
    12.4%
  26. butler

19 vote(s)
    16.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

You have an overcoat that's light on the top and dark on the bottom?

Damn.

No wonder this place always makes me feel inadequate.

Cheers,

Ac

2. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Well this didn't really work out as planned.. I put together a fit including a pair of charcoal flannels that I rarely use and took some pictures this morning, but after seeing the pics I realized they were simply too tight to use and had to change pants.

Instead, this is what I'll be wearing tonight. Perhaps a bit too casual for the thread. Gray jacket and navy pants, breaking all sf rules [​IMG]

(Jacket is short, tight and would benefit from a lower buttoning point, I know. Still kinda like it though)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I'm always surprised when I hear new SF rules. No navy pants with grey jacket is new to me. I think it is quite silly given the inverse, grey pants and navy jacket, is a standby. I actually like both fits.

2 people like this.
  4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Quite right AAS

5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It's official: casual is allowed.

See post #36 in this thread by Pingson, the Challenge Master.

Cheers,

Ac

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Well, I thought the rule was more "no navy odd trousers with odd jackets," period, so further details like a grey jacket wouldn't even enter the equation. I don't have the expertise of a Manton or some others around here, but I've seen enough to tell me that traditionally grey was a much more common odd trouser color than navy, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a new SF rule. I'm sure one can construct a decent fit with navy odd trousers, but in a lot of cases I am not sure it is optimal (with a grey odd jacket, I think I'd prefer cream odd trousers) or that another color might not be as good even if the navy works. YMMV. With clothing, what is worn tends to be a mix of rationales ranging from aesthetics to tradition and most of the tradition, right or wrong, didn't originate in the 21st century on an internet forum.

I don't tend to care for navy odd trousers with odd jackets for a similar reason that I don't own any charcoal odd trousers. I tend to like the bottom half of my outfit to not be darker than the top half. This challenge has showed some pretty cool fits that go against this general pattern and one can definitely do it from time to time, but I think it would be far more difficult if one had to do this on a near daily basis with odd jackets and trousers. One might say the same for navy odd trousers (imagine having to choose only grey or only blue for your odd trousers). I also tend to see navy as a little bit more formal than grey and thus the color seems off to me as an odd trouser (may not help that I don't really love navy flannel even as a suit). I am tempted to try experimenting with RAF blue odd trousers, which I think could work better than navy (probably a pair in fresco for the summer first).

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I like the looks too.

8. Ankor

Ankor Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's actually one of the nicest combinations if you have to keep trousers darker than jacket.

1 person likes this.
  9. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

I didn't mean there's a specific rule for wearing (light) grey jackets with navy pants, rather that both items seem generally disliked by SF groupthink.

1 person likes this.
  10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

One motivation of this particular challenge was, I think, to encourage a healthy reexamination of often unexamined assumptions. Here's the opening of the first post which kicked this off:

"So I've finally settled on a topic for this weeks FC. One of the first things you hear when you join SF is that a jacket should always be darker than trousers. I have always thought this to be utter BS, and my goal for this week's challenge it to disprove this once and for all" — Mr. Pingson

It's a challenge which will encourage people to focus on the ensemble effect of what they're wearing rather than the individual elements. For what it's worth, navy trousers, or pretty much any other trousers, wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally in this context, assuming they conform to the rule that they be darker than whatever one is wearing up top.

Cheers,

Ac

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are two ironclad StyleForum Commandments violated when combining a light gray odd jacket with little or subtle pattern and navy odd trousers. Your disagreement is immaterial. :D

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Three, if you include the commandment which forbids the ownership of light grey jackets in the first place …

Cheers,

Ac [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you bastard lol

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

A lot of nice entries in thi challenge!

15. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Is there a single place where one can find all the Commandments or does one have to climb Mountain Sinai to obtain them.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

if you read the good taste thread you should stumble upon all the major ones at the very least, if not all of them in entirety.

1 person likes this.
  17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ That and pretty much all of these issues have been discussed extensively in the past and numerous threads can be found with some strategic use of the search function. In general, there are some serious "thou shalt not" views expressed but a lot of the time it is a much more balanced discussion on the limited versatility or usefulness of certain wardrobe items (the issue not being that they cannot work but they work in fewer contexts than other more versatile items that look just as good).

18. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Would look much better with grey flannel pants. Those worsted pinstripe pants are too "city/formal" for that camelhair country jacket.

I don't like pinstripe odd pants in general. Matching jacket or bust.

https://web.archive.org/web/2012021...erent-combinations-for-beginners#post_5203608

[​IMG]

19. Butler

Butler Senior member

Although it does not quite come out that way in the shot, the Cording trousers are definitely darker than the Cashmere, no vent coat with suede accents, by Steven Hitchcock - Monks by Lobb, checked shirt by Sean O¨Flynn, BB PS
    :bigstar:

And no, that' not a Windsor, just a bulky Cashmere tie :bigstar:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Poll is up! Looks to be a tough contents this week, lots of nice fits. Thanks to all participants! :D