• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge: It looks a little like a Crombie...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7979.JPG

As it's the festive season!!
Nigel Hall all wool coat, Paul Smith wool grey window pane trousers, Gant pink pin point oxford shirt, and Loake black 771 smooths.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... but is it a Crombie?

Firstly, an apology. I have to spend six out of the next seven days on campus, and the odd day is my wife's birthday, so this is going to be a rushed start. But it ought to set you thinking. Secondly, many thanks to Clouseau for keeping me on track - I had no idea how this worked, so he has been nudging me in the right direction. Hopefully all will go well.

I want us to look at the gentleman's single-breasted, overcoat. It can say "City" - a cut above for the well-dressed, well-heeled man about town. It can say "Street" - the Sk*nhead vibe. It can even hint at the oligarch's minder. It can be from Saville Row, or a knock-off from the market...

View attachment 1294338

It can be all wool. It can be leather. It can have open buttons or a fly-front. The question is - what can you do with it? How do you wear yours? If you got it out of your wardrobe right now and got ready to go out, how would you put a look together?

I'm sorry not to have any pics of me in mine at this stage. I'll see if I can get one or two as things progress.

[Once again, a big "merci mille fois" to Clouseau. Will this do?]

View attachment 1294339

... Oh, I forgot. End date 22nd Dec. Will that suit you guys?

Suppose it has the Crombie label inside, does it have to be single breasted?

If so, it might be more correctly described by a different term.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If so, it might be more correctly described by a different term.
I always thought that Crombie was the material and not the style of coat.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to see a (your?) double-breasted Crombie. But this challenge is for single-breasted, to get the best look from everything from the Real McCoy to market knock-offs. So maybe we can see that double-breaster on another thread.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I always thought that Crombie was the material and not the style of coat.
Crombie began indeed as a cloth producer in the 1800s that became a fabric of coat for numerous tailors. It produces today luxury clothing under its Crombie brand.
The word is largely used to refer to 3/4 length coats, even if they have nothing to do with the material or the make. Hence the title of this FC thread i suppose...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since a Friday Challenge - and such a pity it's summer down here in the Antipodes

Then it's an added challenge to see what you can do with an overcoat right now down under! Go for it!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When war is at 6, but 'tis the season.
I asked some Cosplayers at a Santa Booth doing a photo session at Comic Con to take a picture with me. Haha. Have I entered correctly? Never done one of these Friday Challenges.

The coat is BC, single button close with an optional zipper that prevents wind leakage. I almost always wear it informally.

View attachment 1299250
I would say this is closer to a peacoat no?

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly no expert. Simply shared a fun photo and to see if it worked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads