• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge - Hats 4/30/2021

moimael

Reaction score
I assume that your photo-app has a "crop" feature that would make it possible to remove all the undesired elements from the image. If you moved a little to your left, you would have a white background without any interference for your cropping and a better composition.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to find a convenient spot for the light without background interference. I'll submit something better.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting my entry in!

162112FC-41DA-4D7F-AB29-AD68A89F8FC1.jpeg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily my entry - I shall try to do something else - but I thought I would entertain you good gentlemen with this outre number. The ‘hanky hat’ made by Patey Hats for Dashing Tweeds. It gives a nod to the eccentric Englishman of old who would tie a hanky in four corners to protect his delicate bonce at the first sign of warm weather ?. I donned mine on the first springlike day this year.

View attachment 1605449

View attachment 1605450

View attachment 1605451

View attachment 1605452
Suitable for bowls.

You would need a proper set of whites though. Definitely lose the jeans, and the rest of the kit too.

cavdb

Reaction score
Not a submission, I just wanted to share.
It’s not everyday you get to post in a forum thread specifically about hats.

I present my crushable Laird hat.
its all slouchy from the years of rain and abuse but I still love it.
EA989C28-4608-4F8F-B9C4-A5B7B0063584.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's an entry from way out in the leftfield of SWD territory. It was just what I was actually wearing today while out for a walk with my family, and there is a hat involved. From what I can tell from CM threads recently, I don't think it will go down too well over here! Nevertheless...

DSC01240.jpg

The hat is from Kapital (Japan) and it's a 'The Old Man and the Sea' bucket hat in denim.

The rest: KRM scarf, Kapital kakashi, Wallace & Barnes T-shirt, Warehouse custom jeans, Clarke's Wallabees.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's an entry from way out in the leftfield of SWD territory. It was just what I was actually wearing today while out for a walk with my family, and there is a hat involved. From what I can tell from CM threads recently, I don't think it will go down too well over here! Nevertheless...

View attachment 1607237

The hat is from Kapital (Japan) and it's a 'The Old Man and the Sea' bucket hat in denim.

The rest: KRM scarf, Kapital kakashi, Wallace & Barnes T-shirt, Warehouse custom jeans, Clarke's Wallabees.

View attachment 1607237

Isn't the jacket fabric also used for upholstery?

cavdb

Reaction score

I quite like the hat and overall look.
It is definitely a distinct look.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the jacket fabric also used for upholstery?

These days, yes, mostly upholstery and curtains. But damask patterns have historically it's been used for almost everything in terms of clothing particularly in the Middle-Ages and Renaissance. There's no reason to be hidebound by present conventions: lots of patterns and fabrics have shifted their conventional uses, and many of the more interesting designers will draw inspiration from the past to create something new. This one is doubly interesting because it's a Japanese company and a piece of Japanese clothing, but in a pattern from the Middle East that came to Europe.

Edit: I've just realised that you probably thought you were being witty and insulting. Do better.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads