• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 17 2014. HEADGEAR THE CASUAL WAY

FRIDAY CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 17 2014. HEADGEAR THE CASUAL WAY POLL

• Holdfast

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Tirailleur

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 38R

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Calypso

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Stitchy Poo

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • YRR92

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Cleav

Votes: 28 19.7%
  • ReubenR

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • SugarButch

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • chocsosa

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • cptjeff

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • shoreman1782

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • grade

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Christopher Essex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • EFV

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • ridethecliche

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • An Acute Style

• TTO

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Mr. Claymore

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • futuresailors

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • nicelynice

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Academic2

• nabilmust

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • thebrownman

Votes: 63 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that the convo has turned that way, and it's a question I've had for a while, I'll ask.

A friend of my wife's family is a real pip (really the only way to describe her). She was once married to a rabbi and was deeply ingrained in the LA jewish community for many years, but has now become much more liberal since one of her daughters married an Hasidic man and moved to London. Over dinner one night she was talking about how irked she is by the visible wearing of tzitzit. She considers it to be underwear, and therefore should not be visible. Clearly you do not wear yours visibly, but does this put you, again, outside the norm in your community @in stitches ?

Edit: Feel free to ignore if you dont wish to comment.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Given that the convo has turned that way, and it's a question I've had for a while, I'll ask.
A friend of my wife's family is a real pip (really the only way to describe her). She was once married to a rabbi and was deeply ingrained in the LA jewish community for many years, but has now become much more liberal since one of her daughters married an Hasidic man and moved to London. Over dinner one night she was talking about how irked she is by the visible wearing of tzitzit. She considers it to be underwear, and therefore should not be visible. Clearly you do not wear yours visibly, but does this put you, again, outside the norm in your community @in stitches

Edit: Feel free to ignore if you dont wish to comment.

I don't mean to be rude, but thats a her problem. Tzitzis are usually worn under ones shirt, but they are not specifically underwear, as some people do wear the entire garment over their shirt. As to people who wear the garment under their shirt, but have the strings visible, handing down by the side of their pants, that is more just a personal preference/custom thing, either one is perfectly acceptable.

Hope that clears that up for you.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont consider you being rude at all and hope you dont consider my asking the question rude. Thanks for the clarification.

On another note, for the Brits in the audience, does the Pitti hat thing remind anyone else of Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pleasure. Nothing rude about the question at all. :)

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so ummm, waiting on some "thrift thread " guys to enter the draw. for a unique flava.

'dem boys got style.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Here's a few from me. I really must think about investing in a new camera if I'm going to do this more often.

Hat is a recent acquisition from Hawaii when we visited there in March - Truffaux
Shirt is Luxire
Trousers J. Crew

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the world's greatest photo, not the world's greatest outfit, and the picture got barely any detail on the hat (linen, with stripes in a light sageish color), and rumpled from a full day's wearing. Also, I have a stupid look on my face, and for a hat competition, I really shouldn't block it out. Whatever, I'll throw it out there. What's the worst that can happen?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im still alive baby!!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My man!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads