• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 17 2014. HEADGEAR THE CASUAL WAY

FRIDAY CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 17 2014. HEADGEAR THE CASUAL WAY POLL

• Holdfast

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Tirailleur

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 38R

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Calypso

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Stitchy Poo

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • YRR92

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Cleav

Votes: 28 19.7%
  • ReubenR

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • SugarButch

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • chocsosa

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • cptjeff

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • shoreman1782

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • grade

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Christopher Essex

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • EFV

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • ridethecliche

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • An Acute Style

• TTO

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Mr. Claymore

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • futuresailors

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • nicelynice

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Academic2

• nabilmust

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • thebrownman

Votes: 63 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonus score if I can work this into a fit?
biggrin.gif

If you have a safari jacket and a pair of khaki drill trousers then I think we’re probably done here ...

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is fascinating and well worth the derailment. I have spent some time walking around the Jewish enclave of Melbourne (Caulfield/East St Kilda) where you can't look in any direction without seeing at least one guy in a black suit, white shirt and broad-brimmed hat with ringlets and a big beard. I've often wondered what rules, customs or other forces were driving this high level of visual conformity. Your post has answered that question for me. My only other observation is that very often these outfits appear ill-fitting, wrinkled and obviously dirty. Is it possible that paying too much attention to "looking sharp" within those proscriptive norms could also mark one out as an iconoclast within the community?

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ReubenR

Reaction score
How about something nice and southern? Sorry in advance for the picture quality.

Navy Oxxford jacket in a wool fresco
PRL pink gingham pinpoint BD
Navy and white cotton ribbon
Peter Millar chinos in stone
Church's chukka in ranch oxhide.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A reckless attempt at TTOism...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:(

No h8

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is fascinating and well worth the derailment. I have spent some time walking around the Jewish enclave of Melbourne (Caulfield/East St Kilda) where you can't look in any direction without seeing at least one guy in a black suit, white shirt and broad-brimmed hat with ringlets and a big beard. I've often wondered what rules, customs or other forces were driving this high level of visual conformity. Your post has answered that question for me. My only other observation is that very often these outfits appear ill-fitting, wrinkled and obviously dirty. Is it possible that paying too much attention to "looking sharp" within those proscriptive norms could also mark one out as an iconoclast within the community?

Long story short, fashion is the furthest thing from the mind of the people you are seeing. Simply put, they dont care, and I doubt they even how "bad" they look. I think some take it too far, to the point of being unpresentable, but I think they are the minority. Mostly they are just dressed bad.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, what makes a hat's brim less structured or perhaps I should ask what fabric composition?

And is there a particular hat brim shape (structured versus unstructured) that suits a face and overall outfit better? I really like @in stitches hat the most, and I think it works for both SW&D and CM (maybe I still can't get over Pitti :embar:). Granted, a different color like brown shade would perhaps compliment better with full CM outfit, but I like the silhuoette of the hat overall.

On the other hand, I think @Tirailleur1 pulls off wide, structured brim hats very well. And despite my reservations about short hairdo with wide brim hats in general (structured and unstructured), it seems to work well despite not having facial hair or lengthier hair.

I picked up an EG hat FWIW and feel like a dope with it on...maybe I am thinking too much and this is one accessory to wear and have a IDGAF attitude.

Anyways, gentlemen, carry on.

edit:
Just another observation from the photos...tailored clothing = structured hat? but please explain IS' outfit, overall

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
stitchy, thank you so much for such a fascinating and comprehensive reply. It really is very interesting, and answered a few other questions I never knew I had as well.
nod[1].gif

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gettoasty : there is a correct hat for each of us. with T1 rocking the wide brims. and i only look good in a bowler or derby. sometimes a driving cap,
- but with my body shape and face shape , a bowler or derby just works. i suggest going to a hat shop in your regular fits and trying some styles out. you might be surprised. tall, lean guys look great in wide hats, short stocky guys look good with slim hats. it's a lot of choice. but have fun with it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, what makes a hat's brim less structured or perhaps I should ask what fabric composition?

i have seen fabrics (if that is the right word to include straw and the like..) in both hard and soft varieties (no penis joke please). i think it has to do with how they are produced or something or how they process the raw material.

Just another observation from the photos...tailored clothing = structured hat? but please explain IS' outfit, overall

yes, generally tailored clothing will call for a structured hat, but i dont think its a hard and fast rule.

glad you liked my fit! what can i explain for you?

stitchy, thank you so much for such a fascinating and comprehensive reply. It really is very interesting, and answered a few other questions I never knew I had as well.
nod%5B1%5D.gif

my pleasure, HF!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads