• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 5/31/13 - BE LIKE BARBERA ( aka - the four pattern challenge )

The Be Like Barbera Four Pattern Challenge - Who did it best?

• mimo

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • RogerC

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • clapeyron

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • Ian Erickson

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Thin White Duke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Cantabrigian

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • SpooPoker

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • eazye

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • MRMstl

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Mr. Six

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Orgetorix

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Licious

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • in stitches

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • gringodaddy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NOBD

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Pingson

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Pliny

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • timotune

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • SeaJen

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • DerekS

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • TTO

Votes: 53 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alan Skinner

Reaction score
I can pull it together if micro patterns are allowed, but that seems against the spirit of the thing.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Oh, I hear you--I can't participate because I literally don't have the clothes for this one!
I have one suit that could have met the challenge requirements with out me trying to pull a fast one (like I did with that self striped shirt) or ending up resembling a test pattern . It's an awesome (IMHO) navy blue with a faint maroon window pane pattern with a single button jacket, peaked lapels and a double breasted six button waist coat. I have a shirt, tie and PS that would have gone beautifully with it for this challenge. There is just one problem: it's made out of the heaviest damn wool on the planet; a two season suit at best, built to keep me from freezing while walking in midtown during the depths of winter. As I was heading out for a dinner party where the cocktails were served outside and it was 90 degrees, I had to go with something that wouldn't leave me with heat stroke.

I would try again tomorrow, but I am traveling. Also, trying to explain to my wife why I wanted her to take my picture led to an attempted explanation of SF, which led to a conversation where I was the target of many snarky comments (to use a term common to SF). It's going to be a little while before I ask again ;-) .

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For those going the odd trouser route, it may be easier to get to four patterns but I have always found the end result unbalanced & dissatisfying, it may just be me, but that is why I think of it as an extra cross to bear.
Is it still unbalancing with strong patterns on the shirt, tie, and pocketsquare? It seems like having a patterned jacket, shirt, tie, and square with solid trousers would cause greater balance issues. There is definitely difficulty involve with mostly solids up top and patterned trousers (and I'm thinking subtle patterns, no loud golf plaid), but with 2 or 3 patterned pieces up top I would think the balance issue would be addressed.

This might be especially true for you given your (wonderful) proclivity towards hats.

I lack the wardrobe/skill/and photographer to successfully experiment with this, but if you were to start playing around, I would definitely
lurker[1].gif

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guise-too early?

something Summery
BB button down pencil stripe
BB District SC
Henry Carter 7-fold
Drakes Kelim
Vass

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i loves you shugz, but that shirt looks like it was meant for khakis not a GP suit. rest is great. sorry :(

Yup, check scale of shirt is too close to that of suit, but suit pattern is top drawer.

Incorrect, Stitchy. Nothing is made for khakis because khakis suck. :D

Seriously, though, the shirt resolves to a solid from more than a couple of feet away, and the scale comparison really depends on what you see as the scale on the suit. To my eye, the suit's pattern scale is the larger elements of the check, but if you see the smaller elements as the scale, then certainly it won't work for you. I suspect that this is what's happening for Orge's Mowgli...

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this will have to be my entry after all. Weather and work commitments prevents me from trying another fit I had in mind. Also, the formal event I am attending tonight does not seem like the best venue for a four pattern bingo.... :embar:

Technically I am up to four patterns today, although the SC is perhaps borderline :D

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timo, you are probably my favorite poster on this forum. This is great!

Thanks, you make me blush :embar:

@Timo: What shirt is that?

It is from a local brand here, pretty good quality and nice collars & dessins for under 50€

timo - that is excellent. this is starting off very well. i cant wait to post mine!

Thanks. Looking forward seeing you with a PS ;-)

Calling the winner now.

Blind raise. Whaddup?

Haha, wait for the "pattern-matching-bigtimers" (TTO, Tir, etc) to post.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is The Day
-TTO

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really liking NOBD's entry in particular so far. Pingson's is great too; I wish the shirt had a little more "life" to its collar though.

My actual entry is bit more restrained than some of my slightly tongue-in-cheek earlier experiments this week, though the word "restrained" and this shirt are rarely found in close proximity to each other:

The 4 patterns should be clear in the close-up pic: electric blue pinstripe on the navy suit, purple gingham shirt, reddish/purpley pindot on the navy tie, and one of those mediaeval-ish patterned pocket squares. This was a really enjoyable challenge; great choice of theme TTO!

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really great so far.

I really gotta get some patterned summer SCs. All my checked tweeds aren't doing me any good when it's 90 degrees out :(

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

This is really great so far.

I really gotta get some patterned summer SCs. All my checked tweeds aren't doing me any good when it's 90 degrees out :(

dewd. thats my problem too. sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads