FRIDAY CHALLENGE!!! 5/3/13

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DerekS, May 2, 2013.

Who Went Tie-less Best?

Poll closed May 6, 2013.
  1. Betelgeuse

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. btatedash

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Caustic Man

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Clagmire

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Crusty

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. DerekS

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Henry Carter

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Holdfast

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. InStitches

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. MZHammer

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  11. Sharply Tailored

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Spoo

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  13. Sugarbutch

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  14. Thin White Duke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Tirailleur1

21 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mister Butch, but, with my opulent poitrine, it's rather less balls to the wall and more tits to the wind. To quote Bette Midler, "I'm living proof that big tits mean big bucks." :satisfied:

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

but wait, lo there may yet be hope!! i have just noticed this ad on my SF sidebar!! in 4 weeks time we can have an awesome hair challenge!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

So sorry - Homey don't do no Karastan!

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

oh im in on this challenge! pB is going the fuck down!

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Thanks, lads.

DerekS, the shirt is from My Tailor in a fabric from one of their non-ruinously-expensive books.

I recommend that Miss Stitchy's pics get their own entry if they are to be included in the poll. :)

No one wants to see my awesome hair. Trust me.

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Holdfast, that jacket is pure awesomeness. Fit around chest and shoulders looks very good, hats off to your tailor. And very nice ensemble overall - so far gets my vote by a mile [​IMG]

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thx for the nice comments guys. I mentioned in the regular thread that the jacket is a bit of change for me in terms of cut/style; fun for summer!

RDiaz: it's actually RTW, from Loro Piana, not bespoke. My tailor's reaction when I brought it in for some minor alterations was pretty funny; it's certainly not the kind of thing they make! Having said that, he did recommend moving the top set of buttons down & in to their current position, and of course we hemmed the sleeves. Nothing else needed doing IIRC. They actually had to shorten the sleeves from the top, because the construction of the sleeve ends is pretty unique (it's not mitred/folded in the usual way) and has a ton of decorative stitching on top and as they weren't certain they could replicate it perfectly they preferred to shorten from the shoulder. They did a bloody good job of that too; you'd never tell it was altered, and given that the jacket is both unlined and unpadded, that's damn impressive.

Yep. [​IMG]

This was another interesting challenge theme. Derek could have called it the MC Casual challenge, and wouldn't have been far off (though it would have been a much more boring title), as nearly all the looks pretty much by definition fall within the purview of that thread. As with that thread, the challenge brought out some really inventive, genuinely casual looks mixed in with fairly standard MC looks but minus a tie. Having said that, I like most of the looks in this thread. Tirailleur and "Clagmire" are still my faves so far, but I think sb put in a really solid look. A more rustic/casual fabric shirt (or, dare I say it, another button undone), and I'd put those three up as a triumvirate.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Never looked into it, but my impression always was that these products decrease libido. Which, given the entire purpose of having an awesome MZHammer-like mane is to attract, and presumably seal the deal with, a member of the opposite preferred sex, seems like a cruel irony too far.

Sorry, ftfmyself

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

idkmang, i never tried that stuff lol. nor would i.

10. FillW

FillW Senior member

SB is the frontrunner for my vote. Yeah, he should unbutton another button.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Close tie between MZ Hammer and Sugartits

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

REMINDER!!! Get your entries on ASAP! Poll opens in a couple hours! (7pm Nashville time)

Once the polls open, you can't be added.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

tough call so far, but I have to go with Sugar Sugar !!! bad ass casual cool look...Derks and MZHammer's fits are great...daper Holdfast...Crusty is the shit / :)

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Wow. This proves that when something RTW just fits, it may still be a great purchase. Looks great on you. I'm biased because I don't like overly structured stuff and prefer the look of sloping, natural shoulders, but still. I recently got a completely unstructured seersucker jacket in the same vein - it's something I would not be able to get from my tailor, as he won't do such lightweight, unconstructed stuff. The fit was rather good and it wasn't expensive, so...

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

My supply of rustic shirts is quite limited, but I agree in principle. My one linen shirt is tan, and I thought that would be too much brown. I have a chambray shirt, but it's too dark for this fit and would be pretty close to the jeans. And I have a casual, checked shirt which I just didn't think would work.

Your jacket fit is great. And the hank-as-scarf is certainly, as you would say, leery. :)