• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 4-17 / 4/25 -2015: TWICE AS NICE

Who Best Incorporated One or More Items (of varying criticality) Into DIVERSE Fits?

• Senor Crust (Peak Lapel suit)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Shen (Shirt, square, tie?)

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Anden (Shirt, shoes, trousers)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Le Stitchy (Suit, chutzpah)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • SYCSYC (jacket, shirt, tie --> pocket square)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • ColHolm (Trousers, shoes)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Coxsackie (shirt)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Host With the Most, GMMcL (Tie/Tie; Tweed/Tweed)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • AAS (Rad Trad Triple Patch Blazer)

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Stefan88 (Tweed Jacket, Tie, Shoes)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Clag"Don'tMessWithTexas"Horn (Pants/Pants; Jacket/Jacket)

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FRIDAY CHALLENGE: TWICE AS NICE
Or: Variety Is the Spice Of Life​
We know it's hard to master the tasteful deployment of stylish items well. Fit, color, pattern done well in a way that seems simple and elegant. But can you deploy those same items in varied ways? Said another way, spend enough time here, and you'll either see "the uniform" used, or at least see plenty of talk about it -- gray suit + blue tie (esp glen plaid + pin dot); blue suit + brown/burgundy neat tie; navy SC, gray trou, neat or macclesfield tie. Does it look bang-on superb? Bet your ass it does. Difficult to nail for logistical reasons? Sure. Does it show imagination and creativity? Weeeellllll..... So your challenge over the NEXT TWO WEEKS (starting now; entries must be submitted by midnight eastern time on April 25, poll will go up as soon as I can on Saturday April 26, ending midnight eastern on April 27) is to prove you can break the mold; that you can operate outside the uniform. That you can deploy your items creatively in more than just one context. Take any one element and deploy it well in AT LEAST TWO (or three, or in some trifecta or perfecta or combination thereof -- get creative) completely different contexts. Other rules: 1. The items repeated twice must be repeated WITHIN the period. If you chose to go for bonus points, (i.e., a third or fourth fit) you can draw from a fit outside the period, but let's not get cray-cray guys. 2. At least one fit must involve CM -- jacket, tie, etc. If the other fit is more casual and you can pull it off, well then that's the whole spirit of the thing. 3. Bonus points will be paid for the item being a major focal point, like a jacket or tie or patterned pants. Major deductions for foundational items like plain gray trousers or plain blue shirt or plain white square. This is where things get a bit dicey, because this will have to be left to the voters. But really dudes: We all know people can do gray suit blue tie well. And we all know how to deploy gray trousers in two different fits. Neither are really in the spirit of the challenge, SO LET'S VOTE ACCORDINGLY PLEASE. VARIETY is the spice of life. (Note: Please forgive the use of so many examples of myself here. I assure you, it's not narcissism; it's surrender and exhaustion. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find examples where I could confirm you people used the same item twice, and in two very different fits? Either way, by using the examples below, I do not mean to suggest they are of any quality; only that it's late and I'm exhausted from looking.)
[A TRIFECTA EXAMPLE]
THE COMPETITORS
OK, I'll start off proceedings with fit for week #1
Week #2
Week #1]
LL
Cycling and cotton trousers..
LL
Same shoes, shirt and trousers. (Marlows, Kamakura, PRL). Tie is Drake´s. Jacket is Loro Piana. Square Fumagali. Casual A little less casual.
LL
LL
Tripling up on the suit. Colorful green this week, monochrome last week, colorful blue from a lil bit ago.​
This Week:
Last Week:
Bonus Older Fit
Hi all, here is my entry. I understood @GMMcL was expecting something unusual from us so you will find here: - same jacket (first in a suit, then in a mixed outfit) - two light blue shirts - AND first tie used as a pocket square in the second outfit: I have to admit I had some fun here!
Here's mine: First fit Spier & Mackay flannel suit. Second fit, trousers from the suit, Canali SC. Common items are the trousers and shoes.
Major points will be deducted because my repeated item is a blue shirt. But I just wanted to play. (...and yes, it's the same shirt. Colour matching is such a *****.)
TRIFECTA And all within the contest period.
Now, before you denim dudes get all up in my grill about the fit of the denim in that last set, I've lost about 20 lbs over the last 9 months. Those fit me damn near perfect before. Just this week I found a pair that fit my new frame better, but they hadn't come in before I went away on our trip. So just slow your roll a bit, OK?
BB 3/2 roll triple patch sack jacket two times. I wasn't planning to play, but why not.
Week two. Used twice is the tweed jacket, the wool/silk grenadine tie, and the polo suede shoes.
And one without the waistcoat
Week 1 recap
Trip First and second pictures are my entry. Third was just for fun (since how hard is it to go from using a navy jacket separate to using it as part of the suit with which it was intended to be used?)

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice challenge!
Nice challenge!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honored to be an example, G. :cheers:

Ill call this the couscous challenge. The food so nice they named it twice.

This will be an interesting one.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I do an entry where I wear the same underpants twice? Obviously I mean if I wear them over my pants.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced they named it couscous because you have to take two swings at it with your fork before it actually makes its way into your mouth.

Or because I couscous it out for not making its way into my mouth on the first cousing try.

I don't like couscous.

Underwear get the SEAL OF APPROVAL.

(Fun fact: Went looking for standard Piccard "Make it So" Gif; found this; liked it much better)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a spoon!!

Lol now I really wanna submit an underpants entry.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not an entry, obviously, but I wonder if these two fit the spirit of the challenge. They are both very different fits, but I think they would both fall into the same family.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads