• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 27/6/2014 - The soporific tie challenge

Who has the best soporific tie

• Shen

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • In Stitches

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Betelguese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monkeyface

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Academic2

• Sugarbutch

• Jungleroller

• Nabilmust

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • EliodA

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crat

• Murlsquirl

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • PCK1

• Luv2breformed

• Cousin Donuts

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Cleav

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As winner of last weeks great Grenadine/knit tie challenge I present to you this weeks challenge - the soporific tie challenge. Now if you haven't seen the soporific tie Appreciation thread you might be thinking what the bloody hell is this bloke on about.... So in short, I want to see your most boring, but tasteful ties. Rules - 1) Challenge is open to fits from this week only from now until midnight AEST Saturday 28th (that's Aussie time in case you don't know we are ahead of pretty much everyone). 2) Outfits must fit the basic premise of a MC fit i.e shirt, tie, suit/sc, trousers and proper shoes/boots. PS's are optional of course. 3) I will have final say on if your entry includes a soporific tie or not. If I feel it's too loud, patterned or bright then I reserve the right to disqualify your entry. If it's early on in the piece then you may have a second go if you happen to be disqualified, provided it's entered on time. 4) The rest of your fit may be as loud as you want, just not your tie. Otherwise get cracking. As I mentioned on last weeks thread, I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and offer a prize for this weeks winner, which will be any tie of your choice from my range. There is no catch, you don't need to give any "reviews" of it in return or any of that, just enjoy the tie. Hopefully this will bolster participation in the thread. Some examples of ties that fall in to the category are plain grenadines, neat prints in either silk or challis, subdued repp stripes, silk twill you get the idea. Weaves and patterns that won't be allowed are - shantung/raw anything, light coloured pastel anything, printed grenadine (plain or striped woven only), big paisley patterns (especially jacquard ones) etc etc. Any questions, please sing out. Best, Jason
ZZZZZZZZ …

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good challenge. would like to see some of what you would classify as soporific.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i find soporificness is much easier to demonstrate from a distance when you can see how "boring" the tie really is. aside from a solid, most ties will have "character" up close.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have to say that this is one of the best, and most hilarious, contests to date. How many people had to google "sopoforic", the first time they read @Manton's thread? Be honest,.

I had already gotten one million on my GRE verbal (well, 170) by the time I joined SF.
thumbs-up.gif

(but if I recall from something someone mentioned, you beat my quant score by 3
shog[1].gif
)

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And is it soporificness or soporificity?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the proper term is soporificitude.
teacha.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had to google it the first time i saw it here. no shame in my game.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that this is one of the best, and most hilarious, contests to date. How many people had to google "sopoforic", the first time they read @Manton's thread? Be honest,.

For the benefit of the youngsters here, I’d like to mention that there are also things called ‘dictionaries’, which can be very handy when the unimaginable happens and you cannot access Google.

Here’s what upr_crust calls a ‘life-style’ shot, showing what they look like in their natural habitat.

biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Ac

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you have to get drunk before you can use those bad boys?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some sort of impaired judgment....

Around here, impaired judgment could simply be buying something simply because it was on sale, regardless of one's sobriety at the time of purchase . . . .

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I haven't googled "soporific" and haven't read Manton's thread and still don't know what "soporific" is.
lol8[1].gif

But I will do my research, see if my ties qualify and participate. I mean, the price is nice.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Around here, impaired judgment could simply be buying something simply because it was on sale, regardless of one's sobriety at the time of purchase . . . .

This is very true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads