• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 23rd JANUARY - Inspirations

Who best showed us their inspiration

• Claghorn

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • YRR92

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • slyguyWT2

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Pingson

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • ScottMC

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Shen

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that everyone's getting the rules:
So what you need to do to enter is:

1) Post your picture
2) Post the picture of who or what inspired you
3) Write a sentence or two about how the inspiration translated into the outfit

Good luck :)

Fair point. Will edit.

ScottMC

Reaction score

Inspired by user Nick Pollica. I like how Antonio makes everything look so comfortable and easy, yet refined at the same time. He never lets the clothes wear him and somehow looks more comfortable in suits than a man wearing sweats. I like to see the different pieces he mixes as well. For this fit I tried mixing some things I wouldn't normally wear together (the Eidos field jacket I just snagged off B&S sure helped the situation).

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ScottMC - brilliant!

(Extra points if you grew the facial hair in anticipation of the challenge
smile.gif
)

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knowing her she would want to give them some sort of hippie name in the same vain as her own hippie name (normal spelling, but abnormal pronunciation).

0.jpg

As the esteemed New Yorker in question, I would think that, for a bunch of straight guys, you're awfully obsessed with what 's going on in other men's laps. As someone who has crouched around many parts, I am already well informed on that subject, and need not obsess over it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA totally classic!

Shen

Reaction score
Well, I've put myself in a predicament, first I wore the checked jacked then changed jacket and tie (in spoiler). Now I'm unable to choose which to enter for the challenge, but I guess it will have to be my initial idea.
I bought the checked jacket without actually having a clue what to pair it with, then Attolini was nice enough to add a picture of a rather similar jacket in one of their collections.
I saw the Manolo Costa picture a couple of years ago, really liked the idea of elegant simplicity and have been wanting to emulate it ever since.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voted for @GMMcL, piece of cake.
As much as I love some of the other fits, they're mostly just very well done copying exercises.
To get your inspiration for an outfit from some pastry, that's on another level IMO.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS might have a hard time picking somebody to dress like, but luckily, the rest of us have AAS.

Mine's not an exact copy, but it's sort of a pastiche, with the fair isle/plaid tweed/patterned tie. I didn't do the pose exactly right, and you can't see my ribbon watchband. But hey, it was fun (Really. I'm having fun in that picture. Trust me.)

Here's something similar from the man himself:

Thanks. I think it looks great. I love the pants. I've been looking for something in that color. For the record, the double thumb pose was stolen from @in stitches where as the weight on back leg pose was stolen from @Cotton Dockers .

Well, what I really like about @An Acute Style is that he's got a totally different take on the same tradition (I guess we could call it "post-Ivy" classic American tailoring) as me. I like to think we have a similar vocabulary, but we certainly use it in very different ways.

That, and I hadn't yet had a chance to wear this recently-thrifted tie or sweater vest yet, and they're both a bit bolder than I normally reach for.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry people, I love you all, but Pingson is so much better than everything else this week (or pretty much any week), it's not even funny...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im honored, AAS. <3

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@slyguyWT2 's entry suffered a little from the lack of a reference point, i.e. a photo of his inspiration. Also I've never heard of Jimmy Sutton. However, I really like his photo set and poses.

Basically, there wasn't a weak entry in this field. Voting for everyone would be silly, so I didn't vote at all.

Well done everybody!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mathematically speaking, how is voting for nobody any less silly than voting for everybody?

:puzzled:

I placed 2 voats!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads