FRIDAY CHALLENGE 20140502: DTO an SF Bro

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SeaJen, Apr 29, 2014.

How DTOed the best

Poll closed May 5, 2014.
  1. Claghorn

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. SeaJean

12 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. EFV

52 vote(s)
    64.2%
  4. Cleav

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. GMMcL

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Cantabrigian

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. upr_crust

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  8. coldsalmon

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  9. in stitches

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  10. eviltimeban

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  11. Thin White Duke

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Shen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Amar ezzahi

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  14. size 38R

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

if it ever stops raining here i might put on some normal clothing and submit an entry.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Friday is actually supposed to be nice weather, in NYC, so I will assume also in Balmer . . .

3. in stitches

can someone post links to the recent DTOs we have done?

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Perhaps I'm not enough of a community-focused type of guy, but I really don't get the popularity of DTO contests. I mean, why would I want to dress up like someone else, even if only for one day? Feels kind of... weird to me. And that's saying something given that I'm weird enough to post outfits on SF most days. I think I did do it once, for the very first DTO-type contest back under the old challenge system, where you had to dress like iammatt. I actually felt uncomfortable in that outfit; it really did feel like wearing someone else's style, even though back then I really didn't have the items I needed for the full effect.

Anyway, have fun lads but count me out for this week.

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Hasn't this, kinda, become the SF M.O.?

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I don't mean that you must copy the exact photograph and outfit from another poster, although that is within the remit, but also feel free to channel him, do what he would do, or pay homage to him. I don't see that as very different to the What Would Gianni Do challenge of wearing outrageous/load accessories or of MC doing SWD in terms of requiring one to dress outside his comfort zone.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

8. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I think there are a number of people here who have a palette, preferences, and "style" that is identifiable beyond the specifics of their outfit and with the addition of some small cues, the link could be made easily. For example, if someone were to dress in a mid blue jacket with only 1 or two patterns, and especially if one were the pants, would we not think of Claghorn if that person stood with his shoes in his hand? If someone donned a roll neck sweater with an odd jacket and corduroys, then lent back slightly against a desk, would we not think of you? So I don'think it is just about copying, for me, it is whether one can identify the pertinent and discriminating aspects of another's dress in order to emulate them.
    A mix of coordinated, but almost clashing patterns makes one think of?
    A gun club jacket with a madder tie reclining on a mall fountain, anyone?
    Unstructured everything, fun slippers, hands in jacket pockets with perhaps a cool scarf or hat?
    Soft shouldered navy suit with a silver tie and black captoes, only polished on the toes and conservatively patterned navy socks?
    Out of focus photo of the reflection off of glass doors to which he is walking, perhaps with funky laces?
    Jeans, saturated dress shirt, light tie, orphaned vest, timberlands?

9. in stitches

yes, i feel like i am playing dress up most days and i like it.

10. edmorel

The former. Your oddness hasn't been in question since your hypnotic/Rorsach ties and the sperm shirt :devil: Which, I guess not surprisingly for a sperm shirt, seems to have multiplied and someone else got it too :confused:

11. edmorel

yes but you're a beautiful princess :blush:

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I DTOed Jamison without doing anything I wouldn't normally do. The PS perhaps, but that's the Vanda I'd been playing around with a lot lately (at least twice a week since I got it), so its use amidst my current infatuation with it is nothing too surprising. The suit and tie are both from Yount. The suit is obviously the same; I suspect the tie may be as well.

Holdfast, my interest is piqued as to why you reacted so strongly (for you) to this challenge. it's an opportunity to be silly. Last time round, I wore a burgundy Panta grenadine inside out (briefly, to a bar for a single drink, so as to qualify) to DTO Vox.

Not sure what is so awful about copying an outfit or a pose. If we had a limited number of challenges, than yeah, it'd be a waste. Nobody would learn anything. But since we have no shortage of FC's, we don't need to learn something with every challenge. So be silly and play. I'd love to see you do a Crust Crouch.

------

In terms of an increased homogeneity in fits...I don't really see it. Perhaps that's just a symptom of me being a part of it. But if I look through the 20+ thread, there seems to be a healthy amount of variety there (including a few ensembles that I'd consider bad fits...).

13. in stitches

:embar:

that sounds really dirty.

---

my 2 cents, its fun so who cares.

similarly, often times someone will say to me, hey, i wonder how that fit would look if you did x instead of y. or someone will posit, x plus y does not usually work, and i wonder if thats true. and usually, ill give it a go just to see.

i mean, i have to get dressed most days anyways, so why not try stuff out while im at it. this challenge is kind of the same for me.

ymmv and i do get why it might feel odd to some to dress up as someone else.

14. edmorel

Vox was DTO'ing (ironically) a Hermes Man fit, so you were second degree DTOing, can't say though if you were ironically DTOing Vox's ironic DTO.

15. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

As a SF noob, I can never hope to actually COPY the more experienced/stylish members -- I simply don't have the wardrobe or the experience for it. I can hope to draw inspiration from them and think about how to achieve a similar effect with what I have. Concentrating on one member is not something I have done before, but I find it very interesting and helpful for developing my own sense of style. It's interesting to see not only what is present, but what is absent in a particular member's photos. I think I'll be going for Pingson -- lots of excellent material in a conservative business vein which suits my wardrobe.