FRIDAY CHALLENGE 2014/02/07 - Creative three-piece challenge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pingson, Feb 5, 2014.

Who did it best?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2014.
  1. ammanati

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Maturestyle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. An Acute Style

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. DonCologne

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. jungleroller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. oldog/oldtrix

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. size 38R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. chocsosa

9 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. GMMcL

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. nabilmust

28 vote(s)
    23.9%
  11. Pingson

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. Anden

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  13. Cleav

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  14. Holdfast

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  15. Monkeyface

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  16. Roycru

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  17. J011yroger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. dirnelli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. FlyingMonkey

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  20. Betelgeuse

11 vote(s)
    9.4%
  21. 3piecesuitguy

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  22. Mr. Claymore

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  23. Academic2

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  24. Butler

18 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

I was gonna vote for a number of people but gave you my vote when I realized it was single choice. Really nice combo!

Forgot to enter the challenge myself. Was planning to do lots of blackwatch AAS style, so it was probably for the better. [​IMG]

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I went with Chocsosa. Wonderful individual pieces, all put together in an unexpected way.

3. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

One vote for a field of >20 participants is a joke. I think this was the last challenge I have participated.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Aw, DC, don't go.

Part of the fun is just getting people to put together interesting fits. It's nice to see some long time posters here as well as new ones. The vote is sort of incidental (to me at least...though I did vote, apparently with the current majority...cream and brown, love it).

Lots of fits here to admire. I do agree some sort of rank ordering would be better, but I doubt SF's engine allows for this sort of polling.

Actually, it would have been fun to have some extended discussion about things here: maybe a justify your vote recap after the tallies are all in.

Really, lots of fine looking fits here. Was hard for me (I did wonder what if Pingson was wearing Dirnelli's suit, as I know there was an exchange in the past?).

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

BTW, you can vote with Thumbs of course.

So, people can rank order that way. Think of the final vote as reflecting who people chose, given the subset of votes they gave with their "thumbs". WHich means I have to go back through the thread now.

6. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

That´s the point. With one vote the not so ambitious posters do not get the appreciation they deserve and I think in the long run some of them will get a little bit frustrated and will quit to participate.
    And I do not understand, why we changed the way to vote after so many challenges where the multi vote was good. Is it because one poster cried every 3 posts for one vote only? You can not change the rules when the challenge is running.

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Ehmmm, DC, I'm afraid you're taking this a bit too seriously. It shouldn't be so much about the winning, as about the fun of putting some fit together in the spirit of the challenge and to see what others come up with. The vote should be incidental, IMHO

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm pretty sure it'll go back to multivote. Butchy just wanted to try it out. Pingson said it's just an experiment.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I prefer multivote as well, only because it's incredibly hard to choose one person out of so many good and interesting fits.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

A little context for the recently arrived: Friday challenges started and flourished with single-choice voting. Multi-choice came with the site update. If you're just looking for validation, be happy with your thumbs.

Let's not get carried away. It's a competition, but the only thing at stake is a bit of pride and the chance to name the next challenge. And, of course, if you win, you can set the rules as you see fit...

11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Could we get a second multivote poll going to see the difference? I guess any of us could set it up. I nominate DC or Shugz.

12. sugarbutch

This was a tougher challenge than I expected, Pingson. Most struggled.

I voted for Holdfast. Cleav might have gotten my vote but for the texture mismatch.

13. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I actually find the voting part to be the least exciting part if these challenges, the main point, as I see it, is to see different takes on a single theme. In this respect I find them highly inspirational and also a great chance to get outside your comfort zone.

14. sugarbutch

AMEN.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Clearly some people see it as a competition, which is fine, and others see it as a challenge, which is also fine.

I'm in the latter camp. For me it's like having a homework assignment: given the limitations of one's particular wardrobe, do the best one can to do whatever the challenge requires. The goal, that is, is educational, broadly conceived (including the education of one's eye in the evaluation of others' outfits).

It might be interesting to try a challenge in which commentary, thumbs, and identification of the items worn are forbidden until after the poll closes. After that point everything would be up for discussion. It would effectively eliminate 'campaigning', as it were, and force everyone to focus on the actual outfits, which was SugarButch's point, I believe.

Cheers,

Ac